The rise of Stockport County FC

Elliotman111

Reaction score
The History of Stockport County FC

Stockport County Football Club is an English Football club based in Stockport Greater Manchester. The club formed in 1883 as Heaton Norris Rovers, shortly afterwards merging with Heaton Norris F.C., and adopted the current name on 24 May 1890 on the creation of the County Borough of Stockport They joined the Football League in 1900, and competed in it continuously from 1905 to 2011. Having spent most of their history in the lower reaches of the Football League, the 1990s were more successful, with the club competing in the First Division for five seasons. Instability on and off the pitch led to Stockport quickly falling back to the lower divisions. The club will start the 2011–12 season in the Conference National having been relegated from Football League Two at the end of 2010–11. Their fall from grace was fast, at Christmas 2008 County sat in 5th position in League One.

I will be starting a story series on my career with Stockport County in the Blue Square Premier League and will hopefully make them become one of the biggest names in English football. My next update will include my preseason results and any transfers I make.

Last edited:
Jim Gannon sacked from Stockport County

Jim Gannon has been sacked by the Stockport County's board of directors for reasons unknown. Rumors have it that the board felt that Jim Gannon wasn't the right manager for Stockport and wanted a fresh face at the club that could take them further than the Blue Square Premier. Many candidates are already lining up for the job and these faces include managers such as: Jimmy Bell, Ian Bogie, Stuart Cash and former international footballer Elliot Britton who if appointed would be his first job as a manager.

Elliot Britton appointed as Stockport County Manager

Elliot Britton has been appointed as Stockport County manager, this will be his first job as a football manager. The board have said that they are pleased that Elliot Britton has joint the club and feels that he will take them to the next level. The fans are skeptical at the appointment of Elliot Britton and some are saying they will wait until he proves that he can take Stockport all the way before they welcome him to the club.

I woke up as the light shined into my bedroom window thinking about being appointed as Stockport's manager I smiled as the thought of taking them to the Premier League which made me shiver with pleasure. I had to go down to the stadium to meet the staff and watch the players at there first training session of the season began. I made it down to the stadium in about 15 minutes I was greeted by a mob of paparazzi I barged my way through them as I was propelled with questions I shrugged them off as they asked about my tactics and if I had any transfers in mind. I walked through the double doors into the stadium and was greeted by the assistant manager Willie Mcstay who welcomed me to the club with a firm handshake. He led me into the next room where I also met the coach Richard Landon he seemed like a nice guy with a good tactical mind. I met the rest of the staff and was taken to my new office nothing special a desk. a good view of the pitch where I could see a couple of players training already taking a couple of shots at the keeper. I settled down at my desk and started chatting with my assistant who told me a bit about the club before leaving. I was startled by a knock on the door where the scout Alan Mcleary walked in 'Hi boss' he said 'Alright mate what did you swing by for' 'I was just popping in to see if you wanted me to scout any players in particular' 'Actually I would mate could you take a look at the free transfers for me and see if you can find any talent please 'no problem boss' he replied as he left the room.

I walked out into the crisp air to see how the training session was going with the lads I had asked the coach to take it so i could watch and spot any key players. A couple caught my eye Antonio German looked like a fantastic player that could score plenty of goals in this league and also the keeper Matt Glennon who looked like a very good shot stopper who had lots of agility. All in all it looks like a decent squad that has a lot of holes in it I may have to sign a lot of players that can perform in this league as some of these players just don't cut it.

Elliot Britton signs 21 new players

Elliot Britton has shown he means business by signing 21 new players most notable players include Quinton Fortune and Pablo Counago. Elliot Britton said that there were a lot of holes in the squad that needed to be fixed and he belives these new players will fix that problem easily.​

I watched the next training session as 21 new players had joined the team since the last one and all of them were looking like cracking additions to the side and he secretly believed that they would walk this league. I watched, studied and analyzed the players and this is what i have deduced from the latest signings:

Dominik Werling- Looks like a solid left back that contains alot of pace that works well on and off the ball.

Quinton Fortune- Looks like a fantastic player that is a dominant midfielder and is the play maker of the team has played at a much higher level than this and it shows when he plays.

Robert Thompson-Brown- Looks like a decent striker that has very high fitness and is also very athletic.

Pablo Counago- An absolutely fantastic player that has played at some big clubs, he is possibly the best striker at the club and can finish goals all over the place.

Damian Casalinuovo- A very good striker that has a great first touch and also a good finish.

Curtis Wynter- A very good youngster that has huge potential and is very pacey down the wings.

Patrick Suffo- Is a quality backup striker that scores plenty of goals the only problem being his age and fitness levels.

Calum Flanagan- A very good young center back that is fantastic in the air and can win a lot of headers.

Aaron Jelley- A good backup right back that has good pace and good potential.

Yann Ekra- A brilliant young striker with bags of potential and a great deal of pace.

James Smith- A decent left midfield player that has decent pace mainly a backup player.

John Kennedy- A decent backup striker that has a decent finish and decent potential.

Danny Davenport- A young center midfield player with decent potential has great work rate.

Gregory Hartley- A very good young keeper that has very good potential is fantastic at keeping his composure.

Zak Mint- A decent backup keeper probably wont start at all this season is good at coming off his line to clear up through balls.

Stern John- Another amazing striker old but still excellent for this league has a wonderful finish and also is very skillful.

Andrew Giallombardo- Is a rock in the center of midfield great potential and also is very pacey.

Andras Stieber- A former Aston Villa player that is very pacey and also has great potential.

Matt Barnes- A fantastic right midfielder that has great potential and also is very athletic.

Ellis Deeney- Another former Aston Villa player who has good potential and is very pacey down the wings.

Maxime Blanchard- One of the best signings the 24 year old is perfect to play at center back and is very strong with good potential.

This is what i have deduced from this training session now I cant wait to watch them all in preseason and see if they can play well together against some tough opponets like Gillingham and Yeovil.

Cheers mate next update will be tonight or tomorrow in the afternoon :)

Please comment with any feedback would appreciate it as this is my first story on Fm Base:D

Sorry I haven't been posting lately I'am still continuing this story and will be updating sometime this week :)

My first month in charge

As I made my way to Stockport's training ground I sat and wondered how I was going to get along in my first month in charge seeing as we had a hectic month packed with six league games.
Saturday 6th August 2011
Darlington Arena
Blue Square Premier League Fixture 1
Stockport v Darlington

In a tough first game away to Darlington it was a hard fixture to jump into straight away in my first game in my managerial career​
View attachment 234417
Unbelievably we pulled it off and came away with a 2-0 win courtesy of two sublime goals from Maxime Blanchard the first coming from a great corner in from Quinton Fortune and a header from Blanchard at the front post which nestled into the back of the net. The second came from a mistake from the Darlington keeper as he gave away possession to Blanchard who took it to the edge of the box and fired home to give Stockport their first three points of the season.

MOM: Maxime Blanchard (Stockport)

Tuesday 9
th​ August 2011
Edgeley Park
Blue Square Premier League Fixture 2
Stockport v Tamworth

After a fantastic opening day win against Darlington I was confident we could go into this game and come away with a win.
View attachment 234420
Again we played fantastic and came away with a 3-1 win against Tamworth the first goal came within 5 minutes as Pablo Counago scored an amazing lob over the Tamworth keepers head. Then Tamworth scored a good equaliser through a great diving header within the six yard box from Ryan Austin. Then on loan striker Michael Paton scored a good header on the 60th​ minute to put Stockport ahead. The game was put out of doubt as Dominik Werling scored a cracking finish one on one with the keeper to win the match 3-1.

MOM: Curtis Wynter (Stockport)

Saturday 13th August 2011
Town Ground
Blue Square Premier League Fixture 3
Stockport v Alfreton

After winning my first two games in charge I was confident going into this one and getting my third consecutive win.
View attachment 234439

Unfortunately we couldn’t gain that third consecutive with a very disappointing 1-1 draw with Alfreton. Damian Casallinuovo scored the first goal of the day in the 33rd​ minute with a great diving header on the edge of the six yard box. Stockport then conceded a very harsh penalty on the 82nd​ minute which Connor Franklin tucked away. Then the fans thought Stockport had threw it away for a second time when they conceded another penalty in the 89th​ minute but luckily for Britton’s men Connor Franklin blasted it straight over the bar.

MOM: Quinton Fortune (Stockport)

Saturday 20th August 2011
Edgeley Park
Blue Square Premier League Fixture 4
Stockport v Kettering

After that 1-1 draw with Alfreton I made a couple changes to the side and hoped for the best as we faced a big home game against Kettering.
View attachment 234446
What a perfect result as we thrashed Kettering 5-0 to take the three points with that fantastic result. We took the lead on the 7th​ minute through Ryan Fraughan who took an audacious longshot which took a big deflection to land in the back of the net to make it 1-0. The second came through Damian Casalinuovo who scored a good finish from close range in the 13th​ minute. Andrew Giallombardo scored a debut goal when he knocked in a goal in the six yard box on the 19th​ minute. Then Michael Paton scored his second goal in as many games on the 67th​ minute with a tidy finish. The final goal came through a cracking penalty from Counago who buried it into the top left corner.

MOM: Maxime Blanchard (Stockport)

Saturday 27th August 2011
Aggborough
Blue Square Premier League Fixture 5
Stockport v Kidderminster

After an amazing run of four unbeaten games I was confident of grabbing another victory in the hope of gaining another three points
View attachment 234447
Another fantastic win against a tough Kidderminster side meant we were on a five game unbeaten run after this 4-2 win. The game started with another goal from Michael Paton in the 13th​ minute took us up 1-0. Then Peter Winn equalised in the 15th​ minute with a good solid header. Then Kidderminster took the lead through Marc Williams with a real poachers effort in the six yard box. In form centre back Maxime Blanchard then equalised on the edge of half time with a weak effort in the box to make it 2-2. Finally Stockport took the lead with a goal coming from Euan Holden who took his chance with ease in the box. Holden scored a second when he scored a good header inside the six yard box to win the game 4-2.

MOM: Euan Holden (Stockport)

Tuesday 30th​ August 2011
Edgeley Park
Blue Square Premier League Fixture 6
Stockport v AFC Telford

After a sensational run of five games unbeaten the Stockport fans were hoping it would continue with a win today against AFC Telford.
View attachment 234462

Stockport carried on their amazing run of games in the league with a unbeaten month with another win this time an 3-0 win against AFC Telford. Michael Paton scored yet another goal in the league with a poacher’s goal on the 26th​ minute. Then winger Sean McConville doubled their lead with a goal from a tight angle on the edge of the box on the 38th​ minute. The final goal came from yet another Michael Paton goal where he popped up again in the box to connect with a ball in first time and buried a shot into the bottom right corner.

MOM: Michael Paton (Stockport)

Player of the Month

The award this month has to be shared between two players who both performed brilliantly and helped secure us the points this month.

Michael Paton
Loanee Michael Paton’s contribution this month consists of 5 goals in 6 games which has been the real difference upfront this season.

OR

Maxime Blanchard
Maxime Blanchard has also been a key player this season filling in at centre back and even scoring three goals and making two assists.

League Table
The fine league form leaves us in 2nd​ place in the table that 1-1 draw with Alfreton hindered us from going top but it still leaves us drawing on points with top of the table outfit York.

Managers Thoughts
What a fantastic first month in charge is all I can say about August with some fantastic performances most of all the 5-0 thrashing of Kettering. All I’m hoping is that we can carry these performances on throughout the rest of the season and the next month.

Please comment and give me as much feedback as possible seeing as this is my first story on FM Base.

Cheers mate yeah both of them have been solid so far also brought in a couple of new players which i will talk about in the next update :)

Back