• Thread starter Thread starter TheGreen
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2K

TheGreen

Reaction score
200px-Real_Madrid_CF.svg.png

"Hala Madrid!"

Real Madrid are the most successful European football club to date. With nine Champions Cup trophies to date, as well as a back catalogue of the greatest players the world has ever seen, Real Madrid are a club that many players wish to pull on the shirt of and who many managers wish to replicate former success. Trophies are something Real have developed a dry spell of recently, having not won the Liga BBVA since 2008 and the Champions Cup since 2002, there is a feeling that Madrid have yet to up their game to fully compete in the big stage of world football. I have a clear aim, restore Real Madrid to their former glory and mark myself down as one of the great managers of this fine club!

Humble Beginnings

Managing a big team like Real Madrid is not the hardest endeavour i've made in my time playing Football Manager. I can concede that my job here should be fairly simple and with the right tactics, motivation and consistency, I have every chance of achieving what I want.

The problems start with something I had mentioned above, consistency. Truth be told, I have never played with Real Madrid before but I have played with teams of the same stature. I often come across spells of complacency, where in the team might lose in an upset to a much lower team in the league, which results in a dry spell of form and can sometimes cost the league. Since i'll obviously be playing in La Liga, these dry spells of form cannot be allowed to happen, as teams like Barcelona and Valencia can make you pay when it comes to the bigger, more important games.

Like any manager, my first duty is to assess the squad, tactics I would like to play and the key players who will be essential to my game plan.

cristiano-ronaldo-wallpaper.jpg

Key Players:

Cristiano Ronaldo - An absolute integral part to this team. With goalscoring ability and limitless creativity, I would be lying if I said I would not be relying on Ronaldo to carry the team in the bigger games of Europe.

Iker Casillias - The legendary goalkeeper himself. I will be relying on him to keep the clean sheets, establish a solid goal difference and make the important saves to keep us alive in games we struggle.

Sergio Ramos - Both Centre-back and Full-back positions will be covered by Ramos during the majority of the season. He will be integral to the defense, regardless of where I decide to play him.

Xabi Alonso - I'm looking for Xabi Alonso to control the midfield, bring others into play and keep the team organised. His composure in the midfield is essential. My only worry is his injury proneness.

Establishing Tactics
After a little bit of messing around and tweaking, I have finally settled upon my primary tactic for the 2011/12 season.

I will implement a 4-3-3 tactic. I will reveal what the full squad will look like after a bit of deliberation on the transfers. My intention is to be defensively secure and concede as less goals as possible. Four at the back and the two DM's should hopefully make this possible. I'm also trying to ensure the midfield and attack will link together, helping us be quick on the counter with players with pace, such as Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo and Benzema at my disposal.

Transfers

mamadou-sakho-est-apparu-tres-motive-a-l-idee-de-jouer-la-co.jpg

My first instinct is to get a bit more of that Spanish mentality back into Madrid. I hope eventually that some great young players from Madrid will pop up somewhere, until then, we'll focus on getting in some Spanish youth.

Players out:

Pepe - 29M - Man City
Pedro Leon -
4.8M - Getafe

Players In:

Inigo Martinez - 8.5M
Mamadou Sakho - 24.5M
Rodrigo - 9M

Pepe was one of the first players I sold, mainly because Man City actually wanted him from me. After some negotiating, they settled for the 29M, which I was surprised at. I used this to fund the signings of Sakho and Martinez. While some people might consider losing Pepe a large blow, i'm more confident in Sakho, considering the influence and ability he has at such a young age. There may be some more minor transfers to come, until then, onto the friendlies!

Friendly.jpg

The first batch of friendly matches. I played against Castilla just to make sure my tactic wasn't a complete flop and it was a pretty average game. I started to worry if this great defence I was trying to make was starting to show signs of things to come in the future with the 3-1 draw against Beijing but the rest of the matches in which I played youth seemed to reassure me enough.

Now it's time to prepare for one of the biggest games in football...

el-clasico.png

Barcelona v. Real Madrid

Yep. It's that time already. The Spanish Super-Cup will be my first official game against a Spanish team with Madrid and what a way to start off my career. Truthfully, I have the feeling that i'm going to get demolished in my first match up with Barca. If there was any time I needed a tactic to succeed and surprise me, it's right now. To start the season off with a trophy win is exactly what I need to hit the ground running. Against the Spanish champions, would be that much sweeter.

My Line-up

ElClassico.jpg

The First Half

barcelona-real-madrid-el-clasico-2342342.jpg

Fortunately for me, Lionel Messi was out with a minor injury, as was Mascherano. In the middle they played Xavi, Iniesta and new-boy Fabregas. If I ever had to beat Barca at home, I stood the best chance without Messi on the field. The first half was relatively quiet, I was getting dominated in possession as expected but we were making the most of our chances on the break.

Barcelona+v+Real+Madrid+La+Liga+Eh7iJMp6TDrl.jpg

Xavi misses a sitter!

The playmaker could have put me out of my misery just before half-time. A neat little one-two with Iniesta and he tangles Albiol into a knot. A swift kick and he crashes it against the bar and it goes out of play. Safe to say I thought I would be changing the half-time talk. We held out until the end of the half and I made one of the most important team talks I might ever have made.

Team Talk

I decided to take the role of the unhappy manager. The efforts weren't good enough, the entire team was lacking and there was no player I was particularly pleased of. Benzema was the only one who seemed to be up for it and considering the game was being played at home, I felt like we needed to show much more commitment going forward. Ronaldo had been quiet all game and I wanted him to show why he was considered one of the best in the world right now. Onto the second half.

GOAL: David Villa!

158d.jpg

In the 60th minute, Fabregas plays a great lobbed ball through to Villa, he takes it around Ramos and it's a goal. Barcelona 1 - Real Madrid 0. At this point I changed my tactic from Counter back to Standard and subbed Ozil on for Di Maria. I was hoping the added creativity would open up Barca's defense and we'd get a goal, or at least the glimpse of one.

GOAL: Karim Benzema!

Karim-Benzema-285x270.jpg

We answer that Villa goal right back in the 63rd minute! Ronaldo plays Benzema in and he must run at least half of the pitch and slots it neatly past Valdes. Safe to say I couldn't believe we answered back so quickly and we were playing on the front foot!

Ramos sent off!

aa3f01bc3c5a30caed065a25ff3fce47_412x367.jpg

A second yellow card and Ramos has to go. Villa was through and he did the right thing in taking one for the team. Barcelona's free kick comes to nothing and the game ends 1-1.

Post-match thoughts

Phew. That game was a close one but it was filled with all the drama you'd come to expect from an El Classico game. The best part is, we have one more to go. Can Real Madrid take the game to the Nou Camp and score the goal that would help them lift the cup?

Back