The Saints are Coming 2016

Scott Dickson

Reaction score
Every year, I take control of my favourite footballing side and attempt to do the impossible. Start winning games. For anyone who has lived and breathed Scottish Football - St Mirren have been recently relegated from the top flight of the Scottish Game. League Cup Winners on the 17th March 2013, the team have been in free-fall ever since.
Losing their top young players, John McGinn to Hibernian for a free transfer (compensation package believed to be £100k), and Kenny McLean to Aberdeen (£250k), the team appear to be struggling to form a team worth of stringing a result of wins together. So far in 2015 (at the beginning of this save), The Buddies have won just 2 games at home - one in the cup against lesser league opposition, and a win over a struggling Motherwell side. The fans have had enough of the board. They are tired of penny pinching tactics by the directors as they try to sell the club. Manager Gary Teale (League Cup winning legend) has been given the boot by the BoD and a new manager must replace him.
Several candidates stand shortlisted for the gaffer's role. Dumbarton boss Ian Murray, was heavily linked to the job in January when Tommy Craig was sacked. Cup winning manager Danny Lennon is the fans favourite to return to revive his League Cup Heroes. Terry Butcher - former England hatchet man has also been linked with the job. The board are also toying with the idea of an inexperienced manager, a man with no professional footballing experience what so ever. Scott Dickson, a youth league manager, has been making waves in the depths of Scottish youth football. His high fitness approach has caught the eye of many clubs in a coaching capacity, but never in a managerial role.

Fans are hoping the latter is quickly taken off the cards, as inexperience has been their downfall. They are looking for a proven manager, with a proven track record. A man that can grab the game by the scruff on the neck and dig out results. Mr Butcher fits every word of that description.

This story will be run in conjunction with my Wishaw United story, as I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring success to my favourite team.

And The Gaffer Is....

Scott Dickson Is Named Buddies Manager

Youth football manager, Scott Dickson, is named the new manager of St Mirren Football Club. Supporters of the club are said to be furious at the appointment, and have threatened to boycott the purchase of season ticket sales. Mr Dickson, linked heavily with a number of fitness coaching roles is said to have welcomed the challenge to manage his favourite club, and has promised fans he will gain promotion back to the top flight, saying "it's where we should be". However, the manager refused to answer the question of wither they team would gain promotion this year.

First Day on the Job.

For those interested in teh skin for the game, it is Andromeda Blue - which was downloaded from the Steam workshop. The 3 tactics I have initially opted for are 4-3-3 Possession. aka Scholes Cant Tackle by The_Reckonist, SCT 4-4-2 1.0 "The Man United Way" by The_Reckonist, and Barca tikki taka by mahe_donz. All 3 of these tactics can be obtained through the Steam Workshop.
The lineup can be viewed in the image above. Ideally I would like Naismith to be included in the squad, but his injury prevents this. However in Watson, there is an equally capable right back present in the side.

I have chosen to pull my focus away from the Challenge Cup, and will use it predominantly to train youngsters in first team experience. Depending on how the league is going, the League Cup may be given the same focus. My main aim this season is to secure a top half finish in the league will I re-structure the team and secure some future talent. If I can go a good run in the Scottish Cup that's a bonus, but the first team shall also be used there to maintain the fitness levels

Langfield takes his position in between the sticks, with Wilks acting as the understudy. Langfield is also the clubs goalkeeping coach - and will tutor Wilks on his way to the first team.

Irvine will command the left back spot. He is a recent arrival after being released from Premiership side Dundee. Kelly, normally a left back, has been shifted to centre back and will act as a ball playing defender. Since he is still young, there is plenty of time for him to adapt to his new role. Former Hearts defender Andy Webster will take the other spot in defence, and will occasionally be rotated with Jack Baird. Watson completes the back 4.

Rocco Quinn will rotate between centre midfield and right wing. He too, has Premiership experience upon his release from Ross County. Steven Mallan is the new club wonder-kid. Forming a similar pattern in former plays McGinn and McLean, the youngster is held in high regard by both fans and staff of the club. A boy with a bag full of tricks, and a wicked free-kick he could prove a star for years to come.

What do Billy Abercromby and Jim Goodwin have in common? Both captains of St Mirren, both won a cup as captain (Billy in the 1987 Scottish Cup against Dundee United, and Jim the 2013 League Cup), and both hatchet men. Jim is a man who is not afraid to throw his body on the line for the better of the club.

In a season marred by under performing players and poor management - Jim was the stand out man in the relegation season, doing his very best to pull the players along. He will captain the club for this season. Finally Alex Cooper will play on the left side of midfield. Released from Falkirk, he has plenty of pace, plenty of tricks, and a mean cross. At only 23 year of age Alex may have a fine career ahead of him.

Completing the line up are Calum Gallagher and Lawrence Shankland. Shankland on loan from Aberdeen, has impressed in the Under 20's league scoring bags of goals. Now on loan at The Buddies, he is hoping to prove himself useful for Aberdeen's First Team. Calum is another man classed as a Rangers reject. Joining fellow championship side St Mirren, Calum will be looking to prove Mr Warburton wrong.

The club also possesses a number of potential talents. Jordon Stewart, Cameron Howieson, Lewis Morgan, Lewis McLear, Barry Cuddihy, Josh Beattie, Jaison McGrath, and Mark Barrowman.

On loan players Paul McMullen (Celtic), and David Clarkson (Motherwell) will also be looking to make a name for themselves.

Veteran Striker, and League Cup Hero Steven Thompson remains present at the club at the grand age of 36. Will he still have what it takes to make an impact?

Other players include Alan Gow (who has been transfer listed), Scott Agnew (Bench), and Stuart Carswell (bench).

In terms of staff, the club possess 4 coaches. David Farrell who is assistant manager. Jamie Langfield, goalkeeping coach, and David Longwell who is head of youth development. There is currently space for another 4 coaches

Since 1987, St Mirren have lacked a scouting policy, relying on youth club managers to find their players, and signing players released by Rangers and Celtic. This is apparent with the club only having 2 scouts - Jim Morgan and Gary Piggott. 6 more will have to be sourced.

After relegation, St Mirren released both of its physios, 2 new ones will need hired before the season begins.

In terms of goalkeeping, we are classed as the best, defending 6th (Hibs are top), midfield 2nd (Hibs top), 3rd in attack (Rangers top), 3rd in Mentality, 5th in technical, 2nd in tactical, and 5th in man management.

As a Morton fan booooo. And bad luck but I will read it

I may have to ban you from this thread ;) Can't have it tainted(K). But in all seriousness, enjoy the story. Any advice you have to offer - apart from changing to the other side of the divide;) - will be welcome. :D

I may have to ban you from this thread ;) Can't have it tainted(K). But in all seriousness, enjoy the story. Any advice you have to offer - apart from changing to the other side of the divide;) - will be welcome. :D

Keep Steven Thompson away from anything pointy would be a good start

Help Wanted.

In my search for new staff, I begin with the physiotherapy side. behind every good team, is an even better physio. Someone who monitors the well-being of the players, and ensures the best advice is offered in keeping them fit and healthy. They will also give you a time-scale of how long an injured player is out for, the better the physio, the better the advice. Taking the role of head physio is Pip Yeates with a physiotherapy level of 19, former Rangers and Scotland physio. and his second on command will be Matt Brown (formally of Sheffield United) with a rating of 16.

In order to find the best players available, new scouts are needed. Charlie Palmer, former Rangers scout, and Bobby Dickson (Chief scout at Queens Park) join the scouting team at St Mirren Park.

in terms of transfer, Alan Gow is headed to Ayr United after a £1.5k offer was accepted. This will free up some of the wages, and remove an unwanted player from the squad. Rangers have also made an offer for Kelly, which was rejected. A contract has also been offered to Philip Roberts, a 21 year old Ireland, left winger and striker. He was released from Dundee and could prove a valuable asset with his pace. However there is some competition for his signature with Hibernian.

Jim Morgan, a club scout, is also a target for Dundee, Dundee United and Inverness, with £8.5k compensation coming in

The Call is Answered

The club would like to welcome Fitness coach James Bunce, 29, to the club. James has had former coaching experience with Southampton first team in the Premiership.
View attachment 167397
Hamish French, former coach at Dunfermline also joins the Buddies backroom staff to aid the attackers. Hamish brings a wealth of experience to the Paisley side.
View attachment 167396

Former St Johnstone player Grant Murray has taken a lengthy period of time out from football to hone his coaching skills. He will join St Mirren as a coach to aid the defence.
View attachment 167395

First Recruit

After missing out on Roberts to Doncaster Rovers, I have turned my attentions to other targets. Scott Lochhead is the current top target for out on the wing and backup for the strikers, but in the meantime I have bolstered my defense with a young 18 year old from Queens Park Rangers who has signed on loan.

That First Game

So first game in charge was incredibly mixed. Pre-season was against 6 Premiership teams and Ayr united as part of the Alan Gow deal. Saints started well, going 1-0 up with a Lawrence Shankland goal, followed by a second 4 minutes later. Craig Malcolm made it 1-2 in the 40th minute.

Shortly after the restart Paul McMullen tee'd up Morgan nicely for a simple tap in to make it 1-3. Shankland, aiming for a debut hat-rick was pushing hard and pressing the Stranraer defence. In the 65th minute, the young Striker was rewarded for his efforts with a fine low drive from outside the box. 10 minutes later Shankland added to his tally to take the score to 1-5. All easy sailing for the Buddies.

That's where things well apart. Peter McGill scored in teh 77th minute making it 2-5, and what looked like a second consolation goal, and 2 minutes later, and own goal from Jack Baird gave the hosts hope. Unable to cope with McGill, St Mirren conceded in the 86th minute to bring the score to 4-5. Surely the home side couldnt level the score. in the 91st minute of the game, with the last kick of the ball, Craig Malcolm put the 5th past Wilks, with a simple tap in after some poor defending from Baird.

Stranraer looked liked they were going on to win it in the first half of extra time. Starting strong to force a save from Wilks. At the start of the second half of extra time, Shankland put a shot wide, before a deflection from Baird hit the post and was sent out for a corner by Morgan. Manager Scott decided to change it up and brought on QPR new boy for Baird.

Penalties. The takers were selected.

Goal for Stranraer
Goal for St Mirren
Goal for Stranraer
Goal for St Mirren
Goal for Stranraer
Goal for St Mirren
Goal for Stranraer
Goal for St Mirren
Missed penalty Stranraer - Saved by Wilks

Up steps Cole, the ball is placed on the spot. The young centre back knows that scoring this seals his teams place in the next round. He picks his spot, looks at the keeper, and starts his run. His right foot hits the ball, it flies low through the air to the keepers right. The keeper goes left. The net moves as the away support erupt with both joy, and relief. Their blushes have been spared.

Close win over Stranraer some comeback from them. Hopefully Steven Thompson can do a job for you he is the only buddies player I like. Also 750k is a lot of money for the championship how much of it can you reinvest

Close win over Stranraer some comeback from them. Hopefully Steven Thompson can do a job for you he is the only buddies player I like. Also 750k is a lot of money for the championship how much of it can you reinvest

£475k the board gave me, roughly 60% of the transfer revenue. Although the problem is the clubs repuatation. Cant get many better quality players for it

Up and Running.

After an seasoning opener loss at Ibrox against Rangers (With Shankland scoring to take his tally to 5) 2-1 it the Sons turn to come to St Mirren Park. Technically a derby match due to both teams being located within Renfrewshire, Dumbarton brought a young side with them to Paisley, and Premiership experience in players like Steven Saunders, and Darren Barr.
Opting to chance to the Scholes cant Tackle tatic. Manager Dickson left the in form Shankland up front on his own - a bit of a gamble for a man that normally acts as part of a 2. It was the Buddies who struck the first blow, with Gallagher causing problems down the right side, it was his cross who found the outstretched leg of Sons defender Gregor Buchanan, who turned the ball into his own net.

However it wasnt long before Dumbarton found an equaliser, 35 year old Frazer right getting on the end of a Saunders corner to head the ball beyon the reach of Buddies keeper Langfield. Dumbarton seemed to wake up from this point and forced St Mirren back into their own half for much of the first half. Relief for St Mirren was found in the 45th minute when referee, Kevin Clancy, blew his whistle.

With Shankland informing the manager he was tired, Veteran striker Thompson came on to take the lead in the line. And it wasnt long before he made an impact. Steven controlled a neat pass from Rocco Quinn to pass to Alex Cooper, who hammered the ball home into the far left corner of the keeper.

It was 3-1 shortly after as a low cross from Gallagher eluded Thompson, but hit the standing leg of Wright, who could only look on as the ball rolled beyond Ewings.

Gallagher's tireless efforts were justly rewarded in the 91st minute. The young winger, got on the receiving end of a Kelly pass, and beat 2 Sons defenders. Calum's initial shot hit the near post, but the tenacious winger beat Ewings and Buchanan to the ball to rifle home.

First home game of the League Season for manager Dickson, and he an't complain much about that performance. St Mirren up to 3rd Place, although rangers have a game in hand over Alloa. League new boys Morton also found a win over Hibernian - Denny Johnson tapping home late for a 0-1 win at Easter Road.

Up next for St Mirren is a trip to Cappielow to race fierce rivals Greenock Morton.

Derby Day

St Mirren manager, Scott Dickson, faces his first derby match against Renfrewshire Rivals, Greenock Morton. Its been years since the two sides met in a competitive fixture and the Buddies Boss will want to live up to the expectations of the fans.

Jim Duffy has managed to organise his newly promoted Morton side into a well oiled machine, both defensively and offensively. In Denny Johnson, the Ton have one of the deadliest strikers in the league. Both Webster and Baird will need to be fully focused in assisted Langfield in keeping a clean sheet.

First Half

9" Gasporotto with a long headed clearance finds Kevin Moon just beyond the halfway line. Moon passes wide right to McCluskey. A low cross finds the left boot of Johnson who fires the shot wide.

10" Langfield, rolls the ball to Watson, his pass finds Quinn. Quinn finds Gallagher on the right wing. The wind catches a high cross and directs it goalwards and McGowan reacts quick to tip it over.

28" Pepper's pass is intercepted by Goodwin, who rifles a shot high and wide. A wasted effort.

43" McCluskeys header rattles the St Mirren crossbar. Pepper for the re-bound - it hits the post! Johnson tries to follow up for a third attempt, but it is cleared by Kelly.

Second Half

60" Kettlewell tries to spark life into an otherwise lackluster game. Some nice skill to beat Goodwin and Kelly, only for a poor follow up touch to run into the arms of Langfield.

90" Time for one last effort? A free-kick for St Mirren on the edge of the Morton box. Quinn and Cooper stand over the ball. A high shot from Quinn beats the wall,but there isnt enough curle on it to beat the stationary McGowan. 0-0 full time.

The first derby match of the season ends in a dull 0-0 draw. Both Renfrewshire Clubs take away a share of the points leaving St Mirren still in 3rd.

The Story So Far...

Unlike the current season in the Championship, Football Manager St Mirren are enjoying a good start to the season. The team is just about to enter the month of December and are currently 3rd in the league, 1 point behind both Rangers and Falkirk (with goal difference not differing too much).

As can be seen from the fixture list, pre-season had mixed results - however I was not overly concerned with that as I was allowing the team to adjust to the new tactics.

As for the cup competitions, Although the youngsters managed to sneak a win against Stranraer on penalties in a thrilling 5-5 game - they met tougher opposition in Rangers who schooled the young Buddies in how to play passing football. A 0-3 loss ended any chances of winning the Challenge Cup (Rangers knocked St Mirren out in the real competition as well), however prize money for this competition is little an was not a major point of success for the club.

The League Cup saw a 3-2 victory for the young Buddies against Cowdenbeath. Cowdenbeath struck early with Olumide Durojaiye (yes I had to double check the spelling of this one) firing past Langfield in the 7th minute. Gallagher drew the Saints level in the 22nd minute, before David Clarkson sent the saints ahead before half time. After the restart, the Saints doubled their lead with Clarkson's second. Greg Spence (a firm favourite of mine in previous FM games) drew one back for Beath in the 74th minute. St Mirren held on for the win - where they were to face Dundee United in Round 3. Dundee United, like Rangers, proved too much for the new blood. A Billy McKay hat-rick ended any chance of success in this tournament for St Mirren in a 3-0 defeat.

Issues with a corrupted file caused me to have to replay the first Dumbarton game - which was initially won 4-1. However, a 3-1 victory still allowed the same points to be achieved. Calum Gallagher managed to score his first for the Buddies, and Shankland netted 2 against the Sons - taking his league total to 3 (with 7 goals in total). A boring 0-0 draw with Morton followed.

Saints got themselves back into winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Livingston - with Alex Cooper fining the net twice. Shankland was to suffer an injury in this game ruling him out for 3 months - leaving Thompson to take his place.

Queen of the South proved problematic in a 3-3 draw. Alex Harris - on loan from Hibernian - struck early in the 4th minute to put Queens ahead, before Gallagher netted to level. Lewis Kidd then put Queens ahead again only for Gallagher to put his second past the Queens goalkeeper - taking his tally to 3 in the league (4 in total). Paul Heffernan put Queen of the South ahead for a third time, only for Sean Kelly to pull Saints level for a third, and final, time.

Calum took his tally to 4 in the league (5 in total) with a goal against Falkirk. New signings Liam Polworth (£250k from Inverness), and Pedro Chirivella (on loan from Liverpool) completed a 3-0 victory over the Bairns.

In form Gallagher found the net again against Raith Rovers in a 4-1 victory. Polworth, Morgan and Clarkson were the other Saints goalscorers.
A 3-1 loss at Easter Road followed. James Keatings scoring twice and Blair Alston getting his name on the scoresheet. Pedro Chirivella (on loan from Liverpool) scored St Mirrens only goal. However, St Mirren were soon back on winning ways with a 2-1 win over Alloa. That man Gallagher scoring again for his 6th of the season (7 in total), and Pedro scoring for the 3rd game in a row.

An away game to Livingston ended in a 2-0 victory for the Buddies. Gallagher again finding the net - with Clarkson also getting his name on the scoresheet. Both goals were assisted by Steven Thompson.

Rangers denied St Mirren 3 league wins in a row with Billy King taking the only goal of the game at the Paisley 2021 Stadium. A late 3-2 loss at Falkirk followed - with Morgan and Clarkson putting the Buddies 2 in front before a rampant Falkirk kicked on in the second half.

However, St Mirren returned to winning ways in a 3-1 wn over Hibernian at home, Alex Cooper finishing his 3rd for the season, and Gallacher adding to his total with a further 2 goals (9 now).

Gallagher's 10th of the season came against Raith Rovers at Stark's Park. Eamonn Brophy put Raith, only for Keith Watson to rifle home from 30 yard out. Gallagher managed to find himself on the receiving end of a Steven Thompson cross to tap home. Shankland also made a return from the bench in the final stages of the game.

Next up - Morton at Home.

Struggling With the Fans

Despite the current form, the St Mirren fans haven't warmed to their new manager. Scott - a man with next to no experience - hasn't won a trophy, or a title, and is yet to do anything of note to get the fans on his side. Previous gaffer, Danny Lennon, took time to settle in before he became a fans favourite - and had to win the League Cup to truly cement his place in history. Does new boss Scott need to do the same?

Early exits in the Challenge Cup and League Cup won't go far in allowing Scott to make a name for himself - and although currently sitting 3rd in the league, the season is still in the early stages and anything can still happen. Even the clubs last performance against Morton showed a distinct lack of leadership from the manager who offered nothing in terms of a change in tactics, or a substitution when things were not going St Mirren's way.

However, the Buddies upcoming game against Morton, at home, could prove a big turning point for Saints Fan Dickson. A win on home turf could mark the beginning for Scott in his quest for managerial greatness.

Troublesome Neighbours

The relationship on matchday between the two sets of Renfrewshire fans is poisonous at best. Many Scottish football fans crave an Old Firm Derby, but ask any St Mirren, or Morton fan who they would like to play - more than likely they will say the other side of the divide.
The Renfrewshire Cup has, previously, been the only method in which these two sides could face one another. However, in light of the league matches, it has been scrapped - with St Mirren the current holders. Danny Lennon tasted defeat in Cappielow, only for Tommy Craig's side to bring the trophy back home - the only shining line of that season.

St Mirren host Morton in the second derby of the season. Both teams still looking to get one over the other after that torrid 0-0 display. St Mirren are in good form and lie in 3rd place. Jim Duffy's Morton are in 6th.

First Half

02" Gallagher makes an early run, and is found by Kelly's pass. A first-time left footed shot sails wide of the mark, and the ball goes out for a goal kick.

12" Watson send the ball forward to Polworth. A neat 1-2 with Stolz (The new boy from New York), before a low pass is sent to Thompson. Thompson gives the ball to Cooper - who tries to find the in form Gallagher, but its squeezed out by the Morton defense.

28" Corner to Morton. Jai Quitongo sends the ball high into the St Mirren penalty box, Denny gets a head to it! But it's inches over the bar!

34" GOAL!!!!!! St Mirren FC take the lead on their home ground against their rivals! It's that man Calum Gallagher that finds the net with a thumping effort from 35 yards out. Sean Kelly finds Gallagher and the young striker - bought from Rangers - does the rest of the work and puts his side ahead.

Second Half

60" Tidser, passes to Russell, who tries to pass through to Samuel but it is cut off. Tidser manages to collect the loose ball however, passes out left to Russell again. Moon is now making his way forward to the St Mirren penalty box. Russell, passes back out to Miller - who has moved from right back to press the attack. Miller gives the ball to Moon, to Pepper - there is a strong team passing game here with this Morton side. Pepper gives the ball to Johnston. JOHNSTON! The ball rattles off the post and Langfield is there to collect

Full Time

Back