The School of Pressing: Klopp’s Legacy and Atletico’s Dominance

joeyBanana

Reaction score
Enjoy my new article from my blog: School of Pressing: Klopps Legacy and Atleticos Dominance. You can find it nicely formatted, with a lot of images at that link. If you just want the tactic. Here you go !

View attachment 184694

This is my first piece in English and it’s a follow-up to to an article about Atletico Madrid and their defensive tactic. I found it very difficult to simulate the tactic used by Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid as a whole piece, since the settings are restricting me and my approach. For me AM’s tactic is divided into two core parts: The enourmous defensive strength, that I’ve already shown in my first part about Atletico and on the other hand a very strong pressing system.

Against weaker teams, you will often run into trouble while using my first tactic because you’re not making the game, nor making enough runs and not creating enough space against a weak opposition, which is staying rather deep. That’s why I’ve created this tactic. I also use it against teams like Barcelona, because you can pressure their game development right at the beginning and when you stop that short passing game, you have a good chance to win. On the other hand it’s also an enormous physical tactic, which demands high levels of fitness and stamina from your team.

View attachment 184697

I've tried your tactic and it is superb! Not quite the way ATM plays cause it's too attacking but the defending and pressing seems spot on! Pretty good results with it! I just changed the CD (c) to CD (d)...

Hey guys,

thx for your comments, appreciate it! My thought behind the much higher D-Line is to compress the space between the Defense and the Midfield, to reach a vertical compactness, compared to AM, when they play that defensive. I would much rather have an option like "Much lesser Space between Defense and Midfield."

Would love to try these but can't download. Just a constant stream of adverts every time I click to download

EDIT: Defensive one only, have got the Attack one

I never tried the defensive one, will do... Regarding the instructions, I agree with some, not so much with others (like the d-line), but forgetting about that and just watching the team play, the defensive transitioning and the pressing - even the tunnel pressing - are there , and without OI's to achieve it.

Hey macca, sorry to hear that, normally uploaded is cooler with their advertising :( Here is the defensive one as an attachment: View attachment 184060

@david

Yeah, i kind of mentioned it in the introduction. Its soooo difficult, to simulate this style FM. I tried my best and had to make some compromises, since the Match Engine cant offer everything.

It's pretty great real life emulation! And i've tried the defensive tactic, awesome aswell! Nice job! I usually use 3 variations of the same tactic, what version do you use like against similar opponents at home?

The attacking one! Im the king of my castle and trust in the talent of Atletico. With weaker teams i would play with the Counter Mentality.

testing with man utd

Hi

Currently testing with Man United. Do you use oposition instructions with these tactics?

I think the tactic is very weak against strikers who run into space behing defence, have you experienced that to?

thx

No, i dont use OIs. Hmm, since my team is always attacking the player, who is holding the ball, there is almost no chance for a clean pass, to abuse the space, but it could always happen...Maybe you should try out an Offside Trap or push the D-Line even further, to create a vertical compact formation.

No, i dont use OIs. Hmm, since my team is always attacking the player, who is holding the ball, there is almost no chance for a clean pass, to abuse the space, but it could always happen...Maybe you should try out an Offside Trap or push the D-Line even further, to create a vertical compact formation.

Ok, thanks for reply Joey! Im trying this tactic with Man United, not sure they have the right squad for this tactic. Ill put Mata in the wide playmaker role and i have to retrain Depay as a right sided winger ( should work as he is very fast and right footed ). Ill play Bastian as BBM and Scneiderlein as the CM (d). Rooney is the perfect SS while i think i have to buy a better DLF than what i have in the United squad.

Do you have any more tips or ways to make this tactic work for United?

Thx

What kind of training do you propose throughout the season?

Decent tactic mate, especially the defensive version against tough teams. However, I've got 3 red cards in 3 matches, all defenders...what gives?!

nice tactic but im getting a large gap between defense and midfield