The Seadog Marathon - Scarborough Athletic

• Thread starter Thread starter voasy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3K

voasy

Reaction score
The Seadog Marathon - Scarborough Athletic Story

Coming from Scarborough myself, and living very close to the old McCain Stadium and seeing the demolition site as it is now is awful, to think the old hometown club has now gone!, We now have the re-formed Scarborough Athletic.. who share their home ground with Bridlington Town at Queensgate.

Having not followed them I thought I should take on the task of managing them and trying to take on that huge marathon of a task, and take them all the way to the top and the EPL, yes a very large task I know!.. But hopefully possible.. using the correct methods and managerial skills!

View attachment 305523

Scarborough Athletic - 2007, Manager - Michael Voase
Division - North East Counties Premier League (Tier 9)

I managed to get to Level 9 using my own file that I created which is hosted on FM-Base in my thread.. Check it out.. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...m-leagues/107936-level-9-pyramid-english.html

I am currently in Season 3 of this save, and I will start posting the first year results after this post, please follow this and keep up to date!, it will be a good thread and I do believe that I can get Scarborough to the EPL.

Last edited:
Season 1 - North Counties Eastern Premier League

So here we go guys, Season 1 I took over the club in the Summer.. with the intention of revamping the squad.. and completely starting a fresh, i found this very difficult with the £300 p/w Wage Budget and £0 Transfer Budget..

So here goes I thought to myself using my skills from last years FM, lets start by using some Scouting Knowledge, and I employed 2 Scouts(Local Proven).. As that was my maximum staff allowed in this role.

Here are my transfers in and out for the first season:
View attachment 305766

So there was my Transfers in and Out for the first Season, I looked up Otis Gorman who is a Centre Midfielder, after he was a big hit on my Save last season!.. Let's see how well he can do for me this year.

The rest of the Players come from Backroom Advice Option located next to the team Name on the drop down menu, I found this was a good method of Scouting Players that my staff recommended.

I also used the Search Option to browse myself, and Filtered the following Options:
Current Scouted Ability at Least:

View attachment 305767

This was a good method for me in Finding Good Quality Free players and would recommend it to anyone who has a Low or £0 Transfer Budget.

Keep Viewing for Part 2, Regarding Tactics, Training and Season Results!..

Stay Tuned

Season 1 - North Counties Eastern Premier League Continued

So after getting all the players I wanted, I thought to myself.. How am I going to get a tactic that is going to be consistent especially in such a Low League, with not very good players?, Having had quite a few of my own Saves now with Leeds, Man United, and Scarborough Athletic, I have yet come across a Tactic that has worked for me.

Even the recognised ones like Goals Galore and Raikan's Tactics have not seemed to do anything for me this season, maybe I was doing something wrong, or maybe they simply put.. were not as good as the previous years.

So having a search around I thought I would try out a more simpler tactic that I found on FM-Base.. Its a simple Flat 442 and you can find it here, with all the instructions - I will post most of the instructions here, But all credit goes to the uploader and creator.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ics-training/111264-modern-warfare-442-a.html

This tactic, as you will see in the upcoming results, is the only tactic I have found that is working with my team and is consistent!
And also it is not hard to set up or put into practice regarding training etc.. :)

So here are some screenshots for how this works out, and some of the roles:

The Tactic:
View attachment 305783

Roles:
Sweeper Keeper
Full Backs
Central Defenders
Wingers
Ball Winning Midfielder
Advanced Playmaker
Advanced Forward
Complete Forward

My advice would be to pick a Starting Line-Up, and which every role you think your players should play in go to the player and Train their Individual Role to the designated Role you are playing them in, that way they get use to it.
So this is what I did regarding my team, trained every player to their correct role!

For any other instructions regarding Training and Team Instructions see the Link at the beginning! :)

Coming up... First year Results and end Table..
Stay Tuned.

Season 1 - North Counties Eastern Premier League Continued

Most people when they do stories on here do Month by Month, but I am thinking it is going to take me too long to back track, so what I am going to do is post Season 1,2,3 Results in one go.. Give you a little bit of a Overview of the Season and an End Table.

Then when I reach Season 4, I will start doing it Month to Month, as I am currently in January Season 3 at the moment, so I do not think it would be worth back tracking.. when I am up to date with myself on here, every month I player you guys will know about it :)

So here goes:
The First Season

I was a little worried my players and tactic would not pull through of course I had no idea how good the tactic was, or the players abilities.
So here is a picture of the results from the first half of the season:
View attachment 305785

As you can see the results were quite consistent and the Competitions I had been entered into were the following:
FA Vase
North Counties Eastern Cup

In the first half of the Season I found myself in 2nd Place in the League, this was good to say the Top 2 gain Promotion :), But my expectations were to Win the League.
I also had made it through to the 4th Round of the FA Vase Trophy and put myself in good contention to win the Competition.

Unfortunately a few defensive errors cost me in the North Eastern Counties Cup, and I was knocked out by a 57th Minute Goal in a 2-1 Defeat to Pontefract Colls. This was to my disappointment as I thought I could guide the team to glory in the competition.

On with the Second Half of the Season I go:
Here are the results from the Remaining Games in the League:

View attachment 305791

As you can see there is No results for the FA Vase 4th Round, this is because it would not all fit in the Image.. But I did not make it any further and suffered a 1-0 defeat to Hayes at Home.
Also in the league I had a minor blip which I thought would effect my promotion hopes and had a run of 6 draws!.. Then following it up with a 1-0 Defeat.

I knew I had to change things as I found myself in 5th Place, and I really needed to be back up there.. So I started to train a little bit heavier on the players, and brought in 2 Youth Players(age 16), this was a big gamble..

But as you can see after that I went on a consistent 11 Game Unbeaten Run from March.. which included 8 Wins and 10 Clean sheets.. Did this put me where I needed to be to gain promotion to the
Northern Premier Division 1? Well check out the table below to find out...

End Table:
View attachment 305798

Stay Tuned for Season 2...
Northern Premier Division 1 :)

I will finish it this year mate, Not going to stop at League One like I did last year.
Hope so man, got a save going with my hometown using your download :D

This story will continue.. had a lot on at the moment really sorry for any follows let down.

Still playing this mate? Playing a Seadogs game myself would be good to see how far you have come

Back