• Thread starter Thread starter ollebull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 806

ollebull

Reaction score
Chapter one - Arrival

"Mr. Coppola?"
I wake with a start. As my eyes refocus from behind my glasses I am greeted by a womans face, smiling kindly at me.
"That’s me", I answer, returning her smile.
"Mr. Rosso and Mr. Vercellone are waiting for you inside. I am Laura Valeri, secretary of the club."
"It’s great to meet you", I say, and slightly awkwardly return her mandatory kiss on the cheek.
"I’m sorry you had to wait so long. Follow me, O.K?"

I have a good look at Ms. Valeris slender figure as she walks me down the corridor to the office of Marco Rosso, Cuneos chairman. I had arrivied in town by train a good three-and-a-half-hours ago after quite a long journey from Dortmund. The last part of the train ride was absolutely spectacular, as the rails spiral themselves up the mountains through long tunnels and when you finally come out into the light you can see mile after mile of tracks spiraling the mountainside beneath you. Upon arriving I spent the first hour trying out a local pub, Il Difensore. A dim-lit, half-asleep kind of old drinking house, but it was just down the road from the club facilities and the local G.B. Burlotto red wine really was quite excellent. I walked in for my three o’clock interview about twenty minutes early, but somehow I ended up having to wait over two hours, and after some time I fell asleep in one of the brown leather armchairs seated next to the reception. Now though, I am finally about to get my interview for the manager position at Cuneo. Laura opens the door for me and I step inside.

“Kaiser!” Mr. Rosso comes forward from behind his desk, very quickly for his age, and greets me with a triple cheek kiss. A bit perplexed, I try to just play along. I’ve never met him before. He is a man with a sympathetic and somehow tired face, long silver hair combed back over his head and a thin gray moustache resting comfortably over his upper lip. Although obviously quite old, there is something both youthful and gracious about him.
“Say hello to Kaiser, Valter.” Valter Vercellone, Director of Football, is the other man in the room. He is a rather slim man dressed in a dark blue Adidas tracksuit, some years junior to Rosso but still by no means a ‘young man’. He approaches me a bit more cautiously but heartily tells me they’re very happy to have me there, before leaving me with Mr. Rosso.

“Kaiser, you had to wait a long time. A very urgent matter came up that Valter and I had to attend to at once. Accept my apology.” I look at him and nod.
“No problem”, I say.
“So, I don’t wanna waste anymore of your time. Ezio will not be managing Cuneo next season. I guess you already know.”
“I heard about that” I say briefly. Of course I know what he was talking about. After a online betting site was hacked last week news quickly slipped out about more fixed matches, just what italian football needed. It had turned out Ezio Rossi, rather newly appointed manager of Cuneo had been heavily involved.
“Yes… it really is a shame. But Kaiser, we are very happy you agreed to come here. We know how well you have done at Dortmund. I’ve talked to both Klopp and Dr. Rauball and we have agreed on a fee…” I couldn’t really say why, but upon hearing him say this I almost panic.
“Mr. Rosso, I think we should get on with the interview. I’ve prepared a 60 page file I would like to show you laying out whatever potential and problems I see with the team and how I would like to build and improve on that. I’ve also got a couple of DVD’s of last years matche-“, I was cut short mid-sentence.

“Kaiser, I want you to take the team. I am sure you will do good things.”

I don’t know what to say. I don’t know why Mr. Rossi is handing me the club and I don’t know why it suddenly feels like we’ve known each other for a very long time. I just stand there and look into his eyes.
“Are we both happy with that?” he finally askes.
“Very much so.” I mumble.

Chapter two - Preparations

It has been just about 48 hours now since Mr. Rosso asked me to become manager of Cuneo and it has been two very intense days. After I accepted I first had to talk to the boys at Borussia. I would have to leave my job as manager of the u-15 team that I’d had since I got my coaching badges three years ago. I went through my phonebook and stopped on Jürgen Klopp. I delivered the news to Jürgen with mixed emotions. Since I got that job I had always thought that one day when Jürgen would undoubtedly get snatched by Real Madrid or whatever team got there first, I would step up and take over as manager at Dortmund. Even if this what not entirely fantasies – Jürgen and I had always worked closely together and taken a great liking to one another, and I had really excelled in my duties as manager of the under 15’s – in reality there were a few candidates standing in line before me.

I sat on a bench outside the Cueno club office facility, I had just lain down the phone and wasn’t really sure what to make of everything. Just then Laura walked out of the main entrance.
“Ms. Valeri” I greeted her.
“So, Mr. Coppola. Rosso asked me to show you your apartment.” Back at Borussia the club had always taken care of everything like that ever since I played in their youth team almost twenty years ago, but honestly, I did not expect a small Italian club, short on funds and in the C2 division to hold themselves to the same kind of standards.
I jumped into Lauras cream white Fiat 500 and we got going. My apartment was only some 5 minutes away, and I realized I would be able to walk from home to the grounds every morning. This certainly wasn’t Dortmund.

“This is it” Laura said. We got out of the car and into this charming old building just off the town square. The stairs were really narrow and the step was quite steep. Walking up, I couldn’t help noticing Lauras gazelle-like legs climbing the staircase and really stretching out with every step. Although she had rather long slim legs, on the whole she was quite small, probably around 165cm. Her dark hair swung back and forth above her charcoal gray pen skirt.
We reached the third floor and there on the door I saw the sign.

KAISER COPPOLA

“Wow, you all must have been preparing for my arrival.” Laura gave me a quick look and a curious smile.
“Rosso really believes in you” she said. “He’s been talking about you for over a year and now that Ezio left he told me like the minute after he got the news to get in touch with you.” I was stunned by what she said. It was a stretch of my imagination to believe that somebody in Italy would really know who I was, let alone want me to take over their football team. Despite my mother being Italian, my whole life, save for one year in American on a student exchange program, I had lived in Dortmund.

“We really should make a toast!” Laura interrupted my thinking. She walked across the room and there on the table was a bottle of champagne. They really had prepared for me. Cracking a heartwarmingly cute smile, showing off a slight spacing between her front teeth, she put the bottle between her thighs, bent slightly forwards and started getting the cork loose, all the while looking straight at me.

After the drink I told her I needed to get things in order so I could start focusing on the team and getting to learn more about the players, after all that was my job from now on. She was just leaving when she stopped in the doorframe and looked at me. “Kaiser” she said, “Rosso has put his trust in you. Don’t make him disappointed O.K?”.

I looked straight into her dark green eyes. Suddenly my hand was trembling.

“Never.”

Back