MWEST94

Reaction score
Chapter 1 – The Beginning
22nd​ June 2012:

“Ok, thanks the boys will be ecstatic!” I said, slamming down the phone. I was the manager of a college football team. Well I am a teaching assistant at the college; but football is a big passion of mine, so I decided to give coaching a little try, with football being in my blood.

This opportunity arose a couple of seasons ago, and well to be honest the squad was a complete and utter mess! No doubt the quality was there but the lads lacked hunger and desire and were quite lethargic. But now the players are mature athletes who could give any college team a good hiding, whether it was in the cup or the league.

With most of the lads in their final year of college, I jokingly told them to apply for the football league; with certain teams folding. That phone call was it. It was David Bernstein, from the FA, and he offered the team a place in the Blue Square South. Can you believe it, from college football to actually playing in the BSS! It’s no Premier League buts it’s a big step up for the lads. There was one problem though.

I looked at the picture on my desk. My smiling wife and children. They needed stability. I went from job to job supporting them but it was never enough. It was heart wrenching, the look on my son’s face when I told him I couldn’t get him a Christmas present this year. I would do anything for them.

Last week I got offered an amazing teaching job in Newcastle, paid accommodation and a decent pay check. As much as I love coaching, I had to take this job; for the sake of my family. I looked across at the other picture on my desk. My first picture of the team. Armitage pulling funny faces, Morgan standing uncomfortably. I call them by their last names out of a sign of respect. I held the picture in my hands and sighed.

Off to tell the lads, the good news and the bad news.
Hope you enjoy the story and leave comments! This will be a proper story with no screenshots. But I was wondering if I should post a screenshot of the team and player reports? Obviously, it won't be part of my actual writing it would just be there to give you a better understanding of the team. But I will develop the characters throughout anyway. Just let me know if you need to see them and I will post them up!

Last edited:
oh this sounds like it will be cool very different take. hope to read many updates, i for one would like to see some screen shots but if you decide not to will still be reading this. good luck.

Chapter 2 – Back where it all began
15th​ August 2011:

My first match in charge of the boys. I remember the heavy rain battering my face, the brown muddy pitch and the smell of stale grass. Obviously, this wasn’t Wembley. It was just an old pitch opposite the college.

“Alright lads this is our first match of the season,” I said, walking back and forth past them; like a general ready to lead them into battle. I look at the boys who were all nervous and shaking in the cold weather. “I want you to give it your all! Remember quick passing and find space.” That’s when I heard a snicker from one of the lads.

“Something funny Theobald?”

“No boss,” he replied; but the big grin on his face told me otherwise.

Alright you’re on the bench!” I hissed showing my dominance. No player is bigger than the club. My first rule of coaching. If Balotelli was here he would be quaking in his boots.

I saw as the other team lined up, ready for the match. “Alright lads get out there!”

Line up: Morgan (GK), Colyer (DR), Pook (DC), Fall (DC), Ali (DL), West (MC), Mahmoud (MC), Hooker (AMR), Ford (AMC), Valder (AML), McDougall (ST)

The match kicked off. I could sense the nerve as the players gave the ball away straight after kick off. Sloppy passes here and there as the opposition began to dominate possession and force an early save from Morgan.

Twenty minutes had passed and the boys were playing awful; not showcasing their talents. The opposition got a corner.

One of their wingers drove the ball in with Fall half clearing the ball. It fell to one of their players who drifted the ball back in. “Clear it!” I screamed. But it was too late. The defence failed to clear it on multiple attempts and it fell to their inform striker. 1-0 to them. A disappointing way to concede.

Suddenly, we had our chance with Valder bursting down the left hand side, jinxing a right back in the process. Only for him to fail to get the ball into the box. He reminded me of Walcott: he’s quick, can beat his men but would sometimes lack the final ball.

The opposition quickly countered, playing the ball around our half before a thundering strike by their right winger. 2-0 down at half time and the lads were looking miserable.

“Alright boys what’s happening? You’re better than this. The passing is sloppy, you’re playing lethargically and no one is providing the service for McDougall. I expect much more from you guys. Look at their team.”

Everyone’s head bobbled around, “Yes their college is much bigger than ours but we’ve got a bond. You guys all know each other. I’ll be realist; you guys are miles ahead of them and I’m not kidding! Go out there and play with no fear.”

“Come on lads!” Pook, the captain, called out; trying to lift the squads’ spirits. The boys looked pumped and I was expecting them to go into the New Zealand Haka. Theobald and Barakat on for Fall and Valder.

We started immediately. West picking up a loose ball in midfield before playing a crafty through ball to McDougall who calmly slotted it into the net.

We began to dominate possession in the middle of the park. The midfield trio of West/ Ford/ Mahmoud reminded me of Xavi/ Iniesta/ Busquets; exchanging passes, winning the ball back and dominating the middle of the pitch. They made the oppositions centre midfielders look awfuland out of place! But these three still had a long way to go to become as good as the Barca trio.

5 minutes later we equalized. Theobald heading in from a Ford corner. He’s got the right qualities, but can sometimes be arrogant. Being disciplined, by having to sit on the bench through the first half, meant he would all fired up when he came on!

The momentum continued into the seventieth minute when Ford rocketed a shot into the back of the net, from the edge of the box.

Finally came the fourth goal, Hooker drove a cross in for McDougall to finish them off with a poachers finish.

Full time. Even in the rain and having a mighty crowd of 6, the boys look overjoyed and I knew they would only get better.

Last edited:
Chapter 3 – Back to reality
23rd​ June 2012:

I took the long, dreaded walk towards the dressing room. I loved coaching and this was killing me inside. The thought that this was the last training session and probably the last time I would coach the lads.

I opened the door, to see all the boys pumped and ready for their training session. I overlooked them all, they weren’t boys anymore they were men.

“Alright lads sit down, I’ve got some news.” Pook, the team captain, immediately hushed the crowd with his authority. The loud chatter quickly turned into an awkward silence; wondering what the news could be.

My mind muddled for a second. What should I tell them first? Should I even tell them the bad news? I suddenly blurted out, “The good news is you will be playing in the Blue Square South next season!”

I watched as the whole room erupted into joy as the lads celebrated this achievement. Even West, who was quite a timid character, burst out with joy! However, these moments were only premature as the lads realised there was bad news.

I looked around at the room. Everyone was nervous and anxious wondering how bad this news could be. My teeth were almost chattering. I had to tell them the truth, I owed them that much. “I’ve got a teaching job in Newcastle. Looks like you would have to find a new coach.”

The boys’ mood quickly changed. I knew this hurt them; we’ve been through a lot together. I was expecting angry comments. But none, just silent disappointment. I quickly scurried out of the room. I knew it was the end for my football journey but it was the start of theirs.
Now I need a new manager for this story. The only one I can think of is Harry Redknapp who sees this as a challenge and wants to take the club up to the Premier League. If anyone has got any better suggestions let me know. They can be made up just provide me with details on who they are. I will reveal the new manager later in the story!

Last edited:
can i be the manager ??

also on a side note, are you gunna be using home grown talent if this story goes on ? i think it would be god :p
you would probably struggle though :p

can i be the manager ??

also on a side note, are you gunna be using home grown talent if this story goes on ? i think it would be god :p
you would probably struggle though :p

Possibly, it depends if anyone gives me a better option or not!

Most of the players are 18, so have a good 10 - 15 years. But I will try to use home grown talent, but also make signings depending on whether or not I get much finance.

Chapter 4 – The selection process
25th​ July 2012:

Pook, Colyer and Valder were slouching behind a desk, holding x factor style, manager auditions. Pook and Colyer were the captain and vice-captain, so had high credentials in selecting the manager. Valder was the intelligent side and offered insight on the manager selection. All the boys wanted some part in the selection procedure but with their only being 2 candidates, there wasn’t really a need for the extra players.

“So it looks like it is Mr Jenkins,” Colyer said. Mr Jenkins was the R.E. teacher at the college, which none of the boys’ was particularly fond of.

“He doesn’t even know how to play football. He thought we used a tennis racket!” Valder blurted out.

“Ok then that leaves Mahmoud.” Pook quickly declared.

“But he’s already part of the team. How can he be both manager and player?” Valder replied.

“This is useless. Looks like we not going to have a manager. No stadium, no owner either. We are going to be a joke!” Colyer said.

That’s when it happened. The doors sprung open, as a shadow erupted over the whole room. The boys looked up to see this figure standing in the room, their new manager?

Last edited:
Chapter 5 – What the…?
25th​ July 2012

Wearing an expensive black suit, with a cashmere sweater underneath, his stubble covering his chiselled chin, his bald head; but there stood a legend. Pep Guardiola!

All three boys went up to him, poking him with their stubby fingers. “He can’t be real!” Colyer exclaimed.

The boys continued prodding and poking. “He feels real to me.” Valder replied.

“Please boys can you stop poking me!” Guardiola said, in a raspy Spanish accent.

The boys immediately stuttered back. He was real. “Why are you here?” Colyer muttered.

“What else? The manager audition.” He quickly replied. Everyone immediately gasped at his answer.

“You do realise we can’t pay you?” Pook said.

“I know,” he replied.

“And we don’t have a chaiman or a stadium,” Colyer added.

“Yes, I know that too.”

“So why are you here?” Valder asked.

“Let me tell you a story,” all the boys sat on the desk and listened intently, “I began coaching the Barcelona B team a while back. I remember coaching the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Victor Valdes and others. I lot of the players were arrogant and selfish to begin with, but I saw hope. I knew training these lads I can make them into better role models and players. I knew I could take them to new heights and ambition. I feel the same way looking at this squad. I believe you can adopt the La Masia philosophy and in time progress higher up the divisions. I believe this squad has what it takes to make the top teams scared. That’s why I am here. You are my new Barca.”

“That was ****** beautiful,” Valder replied, wiping a tear from his eye.

“What about the owner and stadium?” Colyer asked.

“It’s sorted,” Guardiola replied. “Get all the lads and meet at the minibus outside,” he asked.

Sure enough, everyone was there aboard the minibus. Guardiola just sat there with his arms crossed, silent. Everyone was chatting. Wondering whether this was a wind up or whether it was true.

Finally, after 15 minutes the minibus pulled outside the stadium. “Welcome to your new home,” Guardiola said.

It was the Withdean stadium. With Brighton going to The AMEX this left the stadium free. It’s not as big as other stadium but was amazing for a Blue Square South side.

“What about the money? How we suppose to pay for this?” Valder quickly asked.

“Nothing gets past you. Meet your new chairman,” Guardiola said, pointing towards the minibus.

Everyone’s head turned around to face the minibus. The driver pulled off his hat and gave a big cheesy grin.

CHRIS ****** KAMARA. The Sky Sports commentator. Now the owner of a football team. Our football team. “This is going to be fun! Come on lads I’ll give you the grand tour,” Kamara said. The boys all quickly followed him into their new home.

Pep Guardiola! Funding from Kamara! Wow! Unbelievable, Jeff!

Pep was a good choice. Thought I add some humour to it with Kamara. Was originally planning to go with Cruyff or some other teammate of Pep but this was better! Only better combo would be Ian Holloway and Chris Kamara.

Chapter 6 – Story telling
25th​ June 2012

“Alright lads this is the board room, and on the left is the gaffer’s office.” Kamara blurted.

Everyone was looking round the stadium, admiring their new home. “So how did you get the money to buy the stadium and well, us the club?” Pook asked inquisitively.

“Well let me tell you a story.”

Kamara’s side:
“Imagine, the sun is out, Rizzle Kick’s ‘When was I a youngster’ was playing in the background and I’m strolling along. I’m doing my weekly scratchcard and boom! I won a £2 million. Everyone is staring at me, wishing they could be me. The girls eyeing me up.

Well Brighton was my last game so I decided to finish off some commentary with them. Later that night I went to the pub and ordered a glass of the finish champagne.”

“Its pronounced like cham-pain,” Theobald butted in.

“Alright, alright let me finish my story.

Well I was sitting there drinking my cham-pain wondering what to do with the money when Pep walks in. He comes over to me like ‘Hey Chris I saw you on the telly. You’re a funny bloke. Can I have your autograph?’

And I was like sure and then he downed a couple of pints. If you think Puyol looks crazy you should have seen Pep! Anyway we got talking and he told me about your team. I generously decided to invest all my money into renting the stadium, and improving the facilities and stuff. So if you don’t get to the Premier League, I’m going to hunt you all down and kill you!”

It returned back to the scene in the stadium, where everyone was petrified of the response. “Only joking lads.” Kamara chuckled.

“That’s not what happened,” Pep replied.

“Ok what did happen then?”

Pep’s side:
“Well it wasn’t very nice weather outside so I decided to go inside a pub close to the college. I ordered an orange juice and sat at a nearby stool.

Some guy with a moustache came over to me, knocked twice on my head and said, ‘you’re Pep Guardiola aren’t you?’ Well I couldn’t exactly say no.

He then kept banging on about what to do with his money; buy a house, a sports car. But I told him he should invest it in something safe. I told him about the club and he decided, after much persuasion, to invest in the club. That’s the story.”

Most of the lads believed Pep’s story, well except Mahmoud who was still singing ‘When I was a youngster’ in his head. But it doesn’t matter which one is right (most definitely Pep’s story) as all the lads ran onto the pitch ready for the new season to start.

Chapter 7 – Training day
30th​ June 2012

“Alright lads I want you to give me 2 laps rounds round the pitch,” everyone groaned, but immediately followed his instructions. “West can you come here please?” Pep said.

West uneasily approached Pep, not knowing what he wanted while the other lads jogged round the pitch. “Yes boss,” West asked.

“Take this football,” Pep said, throwing West a football which he easily controlled. “I want you to pass it to that cone,” pointing to a cone on the pitch, “retrieve the ball and move the cone 5 metres in any direction and repeat.”

“Ok…” West replied, doing this exercise 5 times; hitting the cone every time.

“Ok stop!” Pep demanded. “You hit the cones every time. Well done. You know who you remind me of.”

“No?” West replied.

“You remind me of Xavi, when he moved from left back to midfield. He could pass the ball anywhere he wanted with ease but lacked the confidence to dictate the tempo. You are exactly the same. I want you to feel more confident and do what feels natural, yes McDougall is the scorer and Pook is the leader at the back but you also have an important job. Can I count on you?”

“Yes boss,” West replied. It was that moment all the boys came back exhausted from their jog. “Alright lads get here quick I’ve got an announcement.”

Unexpectedly, Kamara came onto the pitch wearing sunglasses, a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals; he was on his way to his second holiday; this time to Jamaica, when he exclaimed, “BARCELONA, ****** BARCELONA are coming here! I’m going to eat my sandals!”

“Yes that was my announcement; our first friendly of the season is against Barcelona so I expect a big performance.”

The boys’ faces immediately lighted up; within a week they will be playing the Catalan giants!
How is my story so far? Is there anyway I can improve it?

Chapter 8 – Starstruck
2nd​ July 2012:

Bill Turnbull (BBC reporter): “Last week marked the new dawn of a football club, as they were allowed to enter the football league; specifically the Blue Square South. Usually, this wouldn’t be a big deal but this club is different.

Originally a college football team, after much success at college level they have been allowed to enter the football league. All of the players have studied at the college and all live in the local area. Surprising, Pep Guardiola, the former Barcelona manager, has decided to take over the reins of this club; dubbing them ‘Barca 2’.

This was not only the surprising thing about this club. Chris Kamara, a well-respected football commentator, has used his lottery winnings to fund the club. We have Kamara on the line now:”

“Hey Chris are you there?”

“Yes I’m here!”

“You seem to be enjoying your holiday, sipping away on your cocktail there. What made you invest in this club?”

“I don’t know Bill. I don’t know!”

“Em…ok. Did anyone persuade you to buy the club?”

“Oh yeah Pepy did.”

“Speaking of Pep, he is quite a humble guy and well you’re…”

“Cool. Me and Pep get on like a house on fire. I think we are going to be friends for a long time.”

“Ok. So what are your aims for the club?”

“The Premier League is the only option.”
5th​ July 2012:
As the stadium opened up, thousands of football fans had gathered for this momentous event. The sun was out, floating like a bird in the sky; fitting for such a great match: Blatch v Barcelona.

As the boys stepped out of the minibus, led by Pep himself, there was a huge roar from the fans. All the boys were startled; not expecting such a vigorous turnout, considering they were only playing to crowds of 20 in their college days.

The boys quickly headed to the changing room and prepared to get change when Pep brought in a package. “With this being a new season I thought you lads deserved something more,” Pep said, in his usual gracious and humble way.

Pep quickly opened the box and pulled out a shiny purple shirt. “Here’s your new kit,” Pep said, as everyone looked on amazed. They even had their names on in glossy black writing, something they couldn’t afford to do in college.

They had got changed and waited nervously in the tunnel. It was then that the Barcelona players emerged like fierce warriors into the tunnel. Everyone was either scared or star struck by the Barca players.

It was then I emerged into the tunnel. Well I couldn’t miss their first game, even if I was teaching in Newcastle. The boys were all fidgety and nervous about the game. My time to shine! “Pep asked me to come along and give you a motivational speech. But there is only one thing I have to say: show no fear.” Words of guidance I hope, as I made my way up to the stands.

The boys were ready and pumped. Pook, the captain, looked across at the opposite Barca captain Puyol. He nodded and Puyol nodded back across. Even when he was trying to be friendly he looked scary with his long dangly hair; he should wrestling lions in the Serengeti! West looked at his opposite Barca player, Xavi, wishing someday he can emulate him and hopefully be the next Paul Scholes. Finally Mcdougall looked across at Messi standing by his side, hoping one day he can achieve the same goalscoring record.

As the referee called out, both teams emerged onto the dazzling pitch; ready for the match.