The start of something special (Birmingham City F.C.)

blueslegend83

Reaction score
As I pull up to the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Birmingham, West Midlands, my agent and I are greeted by the Birmingham chairman Mr. Carson Yeung and a director of the board Mr. Michael Wiseman out front of the hotel. We have a dinner reservation/business meeting about the open job vacancy at Birmingham F.C. With Chris Hughton taking the Bohemians F.C job back in his native Dublin, Ireland Mr. Yeung is looking for a new direction and somebody who will put in the time and effort to make the change at Birmingham as successful as it can be.

We sit down and order a round of drinks as we begin to talk about which direction I would take the team if they decide to offer me this job. As I sit in Birmingham, UK I begin to think what would be the perfect scenario, all I can come up with is winning the NPOWER Championship and taking this team right back into the EPL, goals would change once we were back in the EPL to advancing deep into cup competitions and finishing mid table in the EPL but then I found myself getting well ahead of what I needed to be thinking about. Mr. Yeung asks me "what would your goals be if we decide to hire you for this job and what would you expect out of this season?" My response was simple "to get this football club right back into the top flight of English soccer, obviously some things need to be done in order for this to happen. I would put an emphasis on our youth academy and start the process right away where we bring players through our academy and keep them with this football club. It will save the club money, generate the best team chemistry with players knowing each others playing habits and such. Last but not least sell a few players and get the group a little younger as a whole. I think we have some players in the reserve squad who can come up and play with the first team with the right coaching and a little hard work."

As we are finishing up dinner we order another round of drinks as Mr. Wiseman asks me what my salary requirements would be for taking over this squad on a 2 year deal. I tell Mr. Wiseman "I have a certain amount that I work for and with this club in such great financial shape I should be earning no less than $23,000 per week" I stop as Mr. Yeung looks at me and asks me "Would you accept a 2 year deal at $14,500 per week for those two years?" My agent, Mr. Cleary responds by saying "my client is in high demand and even though not at this level I cannot let him sign a contract like this without closer review and such a low weekly salary for this being Birmingham F.C." Mr. Wiseman chimes in and asks "could we get a deal done sometime this coming week if we were to offer, say $16,500?". My agent looks at Mr. Wiseman and tells him "if you can give him another $1,000 per week and make it $17,500 we will review the contract and get back with you after we carefully review what your offering in writting".

I sit there as they are negotiating a salary that I think is more than fair, im only focused on the fact that we are talking years and money at this point and can only think this means I have probably got the job once the contract is in writting, we review it and sign it.

As Mr. Yeung and Mr. Wiseman leave the restaurant I tell Dennis what a wonderful job he did and ask him what he thinks, or if he thinks they will come through on the contract that we talked about tonight and he confirms that he will be expecting the contract to be drawn up tomorrow at St. Andrews Stadium and we will review it, sign it and be introduced to the press tomorrow evening if things were to go as planned. As Dennis says he is going to call it a night I sit at the bar and have a few more drinks as this sinks in a little deeper. I start to think to myself, is this the right job? Am I out of my element with a club of this stature? Will I be able to handle this job and the pressure that comes with it? Oh ****, what am I questioning my ability for, I will do well with this club and the support from everyone involved. I finish my drink and call it a night myself. I go back into my room and take a quick shower before calling downstairs for a wake up call at 7:30am. I turn out the light and fall fast asleep.

I wake up with the sound of the tele ringing as I answer the tele it's an automated voice reminding me that it's 7:30am and time to get going with this exciting day. As I head down for breakfast in the lobby I pick up a copy of the express and star newspaper and the sports section reads "next Birmingham City manager, whos in line for this appointment?" I can't help but to be excited as im almost sure that I have this job in my back pocket.
I recieve a telephone call from my agent, Dennis around quarter til 11am telling me "be outside the hotel in about an hour around 12 o'clock" He says to me "I have reviewed the contract, it's for 2 years at $17,500 per week, how does that sound boss? I tell him with excitement in my voice "**** good buddy, **** of a job negotiating last night"
It's now around 12 o'clock and Dennis and I stand in the lobby as Mr. Wiseman pulls up in a Range Rover as we get in we are off to St. Andrews. We arive at St. Andrews and **** this is a massive stadium and I cannot wait to get started with the team.

As Mr. Yeung takes the podium, he starts by saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you all for gathering here today on such short notice for the introduction of our new manager who will take this football club into the future. Please help me in welcoming Mr. Jeremiah Walsh"

I start by saying "thank you Mr. Yeung, thank you ladies and gentlemen of the media for gathering here today. Thank you Birmingham football club. I would like to take this time to answer a few questions that you all may have, first question."

David Jones (Birmingham Mail):

"Mr. Walsh, welcome to Birmingham, how do you think you will handle the pressure of football in England?"

Jeremiah Walsh:

"Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'll be fine, I have a certain direction I want to go with this football club and I will be looking to get started right away"

Paul Hughes (Birmingham Post):

"Jeremiah, welcome. With you having any managerial experience do you worry that you will be on a short rope and not have much of a chance if you start losing like most are expecting you to do?"

Jeremiah Walsh:
"I think I have sufficient experience as a player with my playing time coming only for a short time but in the UK. I will rely heavily on what I learned while I was on the coaching staff at D.C. United."

Michael Bayless (Sky Sports):
"Hi, Jeremiah, with you being named the youngest manager in Birmingham history there has to be added pressure on you to succed here, what would you say?"

Jeremiah Walsh:
"I wouldn't say there are any extra pressures on me just yet, I am young, only twenty eight years old, but I do not always think that is a bad thing. The board had faith in me and put me in charge of their club and we will look to do big things together moving forward."

I finish by saying "thank you for the questions, that will be all for now, nice meeting all of you and I look forward to a long working relationship with each and every one of you. Thank you."

Back