Darandio

Destroyer Of Ego's
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I created a near impossible challenge for myself but unfortunately didn't release the minor changes to the database. However, the response was fairly positive towards it...... http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/fm-2011-general-discussion/53975-ultimate-liverpool-challenge.html

As it turned out, I did actually complete that season, but only managed to accrue 26 points and suffered relegation, with a squad near the end of the season virtually having no recognisable players due to the receivers selling off the best youngsters I had retained.

I plan to do it again on the full release of 2013, but don't really want to destroy Liverpool this time so am looking for suggestions in advance. The basic principle will remain the same, but a couple of tweaks are made.....

1, Board infighting results in a large sum paid to previous owners and this subsequently goes on to club debt.
2, In order to service some of this debt, a firesale has taken place, removing all key players and backroom staff.
3, The only players to remain are reserve and youth prospects along with the oldest members of the first team squad who have an affiliation with the club.
4, Transfer budget reduced to zero, and wage budget reduced to 20% below the current bill of the remaining players.
5, Reduce season ticket sales dramatically, percentage is in relation to the club eventually chosen.
6, You then take over this mammoth task.

All the above points will inevitably lead to receivership, sale of remaining players taken out of your control and the club basically being on it's ****.

So, does anyone have any viable suggestions? Preferably an EPL club other than Liverpool, even more preferential to be one of the bigger guns that take a fall from grace. Also if making a suggestion, work on the premise that all senior staff will move on, and only list the older players that will remain, ones that have a deep affiliation with the club, we're talking Scholes and Giggs types here.

Once I can get an agreement on what club will be chosen, I'll sort the database and upload it. Anyone that wants to take part can then keep us posted with progress and see if they can complete the initial challenge, to stay in the division. The challenge can then obviously go further, to try and rebuild the club and recapture former glories.

I think United would be a good one because the Glazers have already put the club in so much debt you wouldn't be surprised if they put United in even more financial trouble. They'd have a decent chance of staying up due to Scholes, Giggs and a bunch of decent youngsters. You could even have Gary Neville come out of retirement as a player/coach or player/assistant manager to make it more exciting.

Last edited:
Yeah, my first instinct was United simply because of the Glazer situation and to be honest, the storyline does have to have a sense of realism for the financial aspect. Another thought was Everton, due to the constant uncertainty about Kenwright's future. However, being a Liverpool supporter, those two could certainly be seen as me wanting to destroy them. :p

There are other ones as well though, look at Chelsea and Man City, with the thought of the owners deserting them. Arsenal on the other hand is probably a no go, due to their financial model.

I can see what you mean about you doing United and you being a Liverpool fan, it could cause controversy especially if you only did it on the recommendation of a fellow Liverpool fan (me).

But by the same token, United would be a genuine challenge. We'll see anyway.

It's also worth noting that the firesale has to see players redistributed in a realistic way. So if United was the chosen project, Rio Ferdinand would go back to West Ham for example.

That is for later on in the process though, if enough people become interested and a project can be agreed upon, we can then devise which departing players should go where.

I think United would be a good one because the Glazers have already put the club in so much debt you wouldn't be surprised if they put United in even more financial trouble. They'd have a decent chance of staying up due to Scholes, Giggs and a bunch of decent youngsters. You could even have Gary Neville come out of retirement as a player/coach or player/assistant manager to make it more exciting.

How is getting Gary Neville even possible.

You could do chelsea, leaving them with terry, lampard, cech, bertrand and anyone out on loan, but changing a couple like essien to can't be recalled.

Yes, Chelsea is certainly viable although I'm not sure Lampard would stay, he may well go back to West Ham.

maybe but he seems chelsea through and through now and i doubt west ham could afford his wages anyway. plus he'd probably be the first one sold anyway.

I guess there are many options.

Any more suggestions from anyone before I start to think about editing?

OK, I've tentatively gone with Chelsea initially, I'm going to see how it pans out in testing. It's certainly not going to be an easy one. Here is an outline of what has happened, everything is subject to change.

Roman Abramovich arrested, all assets including Chelsea FC seized. Club had been used as a front for money laundering on a global scale.
Chelsea FC currently has an interim chairman, but no board. Club is currently trading.
Roberto Di Matteo, along with key backroom staff have left the club.
Asset stripping has already taken place, with the majority of valuable players moved on.
Only £1,000,000 remains in the bank account at this current time.
The club is now £140,000,000 in debt.
Club will be allowed to participate in all competitions entered.
Key sponsors have pulled out, no longer wanting to be associated with the club. Kit sponsors replaced by a variety of local businesses.
All affiliated clubs requested all ties to be severed with club, all removed.
Club morale and reputation now lowered.

The following transfers have already been conducted:

Marko Marin - Werder Bremen
Hilario - Academica
Fernando Torres - FC Anzhi Makhachkala
Michael Essien - Lyon
Yossi Benayoun - West Ham United
David Luiz - Benfica
Ramires - Fluminese
Florent Malouda - Lyon
Ashley Cole - Manchester City
Paulo Ferreira - Vitoria Setubal