The Underdog Story - A Maidenhead FC Tale

iota4u

Reaction score
maidenhead.png

Where to start? Most would say “From the beginning” so, why not? My Name is Ross Jackson, I am 24 years old and I am the manager of Maidenhead FC. But, to get to know ‘where’ I am coming from we have to dive a little deeper. Picture the scene of Hayes in Middlesex in the very early 90’s, i was a young boy at this stage and my Father and his good friend Ray Fitzgerald created a football team for kids, they named it “Manor Cubs FC” (later named Manor Youths FC in post 2000). I was the first Goalkeeper for the team. We first started to train in the sports hall at Hayes Manner Secondary school, then moved to practising in the fields of Dr.Triplett’s Primary School before eventually acquiring rented land in Harlington in a dilapidated club house with a football pitch, after renovations were completed, the Club house was renamed “The Moat”. Manor Cubs went from a small youth team to one of the biggest youth clubs in the Middlesex area, quite an achievement some would think.

A couple of years had passed; Manor Cubs had won many youth tournament competitions ranging from 5-a-side to 11-a-side competitions. In one entire season I had only conceded 6 goals and I actually scored 4 (1 penalty and 2 headers from corner kicks and 1 free kick). This hadn’t gone totally unnoticed, in fact at a few competitions and league games was the same man, I had no clue who he was but I would soon enough. I soon found out that he was actually a Scout for Charlton Athletic and eventually i was approached for a youth contract for Charlton Athletic. Everything was looking up and i was well on my way, my dreams becoming reality.

A few years had passed an I was now 16, My family had moved to just outside of Reading in Berkshire and my mother would drive me to training. The date was the 12th of April 2002, the day that would change my life. During a training session, a rather hardcore session, I spent the majority of the day practising against free kicks and corners and unfortunately landed awkwardly on my wrists. I had broken both my wrists and my football career was pretty much over as a player. I spent the following months in a depressive state until my wrists had recovered, I tried to continue goalkeeping for Charlton, but my wrists were evidently too weak to continue. I was let go and I returned home, not in the best of moods as one could imagine. Still, this wasn’t the end of my football days, thankfully.

A year or so had passed, i was almost 18 by this time and concentrating on my AS levels at college. I went to the recreation ground after one particularly hard day of college with my football, just to do some practising and have a general kick about. There was another Youth team having a practise session, which i thought was odd as they usually practise on a Saturday or Sunday morning. So i went over and started to talk to one of the coaches and quickly found out it was an emergency practise session due to a youth tournament coming up and they wanted to win it, which is admirable. I told the coach of my credentials and my past experience and he was more than happy to bring me on board as a fellow coach, the team in question being the “Twyford Comets”. Not quite as good as Manor Cubs many years ago.

They had foreign exchange programme with a Dutch team called “R.K.U.V.C.” who were based in Ullestraten near the Belgium border. It was mainly exchange of youth players to gain experience from the other team, as one may expect. This even extended to the Coaching staff and I took full advantage of the situation and moved to Holland for a few months, gaining insight on various tactics and teaching mechanisms. I of course helped them out where I could and I even helped them gain the local league cup. Still, time passed and I had to leave and I returned to Twyford Comets and stayed until I was 21. The years had passed, my live was advancing and football and participating in it was quite quickly drifting away.

June 2009, I was 23 by this time and what a time for me it was! I sat in a pub in Maidenhead with a group of my friends drinking away the Sunday afternoon. One of my friends, who we shall call ‘David’, passed the local news paper and in my less than sober manner, I checked the job section as I had been made redundant a month or so earlier. Low and behold, the Manager spot at Maidenhead FC was vacant and I decided for laugh and being slightly drunk to apply for the job. I thought nothing of it and dismissed it almost instantly. That is, of course, until I got a call on my mobile phone. On the other end was the chairman of the club no less. I thought my friends had pulled some sort of prank on me, but this wasn’t the case. So the interview was set and all I had to do was attend, I would be a fool to turn it down because if I wanted to get back into the football world, this would be the bridge to get me there, irrelevant of the team or their stature, we all have to start from the bottom at some stage, this was no different.

I pulled up in my Vauxhall Vectra, unfortunately it was made in 1997 and not one of the new fancy types, it barely got me there, it barely got me anywhere, it was always on the verge of dying on me. I stepped out of my car, straightened my Tie. I sat just outside the Chairman’s office for a good 15 minutes, which felt like a life time. I answered his questions with confidence and told him of my background and everything that lead up to this moment. He was impressed with my coaching abilities from my youth team coaching experience. But let us not get ahead of ourselves, I knew they were desperate and they knew it too. They hadn’t received many applications for the spot and the other applicants had less experience. It seemed to have been my lucky day, they offered me the job and quite a low salary, but that was to be expected.

This was the beginning ..

{Stay tuned for all the nitty gritty stuff to be posted soon..}

Last edited:
It has seemed to be a rather eventful first few days in office for Ross Jackson, he succesfully managed to dodge the press, which is never an easy thing to do, but thankfully it was only a couple of reporters from small time tabloids.

attachment.php

Ross has employed a tactic he has worked on for sometime now whilst keeping his head down and he has introduced a new training regime, he wants his squad sweating and to thrive to be better.

attachment.php

so, with the press looking over his shoulder waiting for him to make a mistake.. will he be able to triumph over his first few friendly matches? we'll have to wait and see. Friendly matches may not mean much to many people, but to the new manager, it is a test of his fortitude and may give a slight glimpse of whats things may have yet to come.

Love the layout, i done a bath story, how do u sign decent players?

I'll try and follow!

Love the layout, i done a bath story, how do u sign decent players?

I'll try and follow!

find the "Amazing free transfer list" shortlist in the download section mate and see who you can get :)

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

maidenhead.png

The first month was difficult in the sense of all the paper work and meeting the staff and getting stuck into all the managerial aspects of the job. Ross was on £400 per week which was just enough to rent a flat with his partner and buy food with; there wasn’t much wiggle room in regards of luxuries, so it looks like he will have to keep his trusty Vauxhall Vectra for a longer while yet!

Ross arranged a evening out for the staff and the players, so they could all bond with one another and for Ross especially to get to know the people. They went for the night out in Reading, eating at old Orleans before dancing the night away at Reflex, the 80’s night club. If anything, it brought the morale of the team up and everyone was generally in a great mood, which can only be a good thing as the first friendly match was looming, it was only against Maidenhead’s reserve team, but it was Ross’s first match in charge of a team outside of youth coaching.

Back in the office, Ross was presented with a relatively large folder full of possible additions to the squad obtained by the scouts at the club, there was one person in particular, and his name is David Reading. Not very well known, he played for Wycombe Wanderers, he’s young and able. Ross was interested in bringing loads of new talent just yet; he wanted to see what this current team was capable of before he committed to anything long term.

David Reading
Central Defender
Cost: Free transfer

davidreading.png

July Fixtures (Friendly)

monthlyresults_000000.png

Goal Highlights

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkDI1hHtF4"]YouTube- Maidenhead United v Maidenhead Reserves FM2010[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UiYQAcv9EA"]YouTube- Maidenhead v Grimsby FM2010[/ame]

Overview

40 goals scored and only 1 goal past The Heads keeper, a decent set of results but in all truth Maidenhead was predicted to beat most of the teams, GH Academy was a comfotable draw despite Maidenhead being favourites for the clash.

Maidenhead United fans were delighted over the result of the game against Grimsby. Maidenhead were the underdogs and even in a friendly game to beat a superior yeeams by two goals is a feat for any underdog team.

The fans and staff are all taking a liking to this new manager and have mentioned that if the team plays aswell in the league as they have done in the Pre-season friendlies then a top half finish would be in order.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

August

maidenhead.png

leagueaugust_000000.png

Kieran_000000.png

Ross had spent the majority of the day at the end of august pacing back and forth in his office, the local press was outside and he had to face them eventually. Thankfully his squad had been turning over positive results, so atleast he wouldn't get pounded for his inexperience in a managerial role. After finishing his cup of coffee he straightened his tie and open the office door and made his way to the York road stadium entrance where only 3 or 4 reporters stood. Ross was also lucky in a sense that Maidenhead United are only a semi proffessional side so no big press conferances would be called.

"Mr. Jackson!" a female reporter firmly stated to get his attention "Maidenhead United lay top of the table at the end of the first month of the season, how do you feel about the success so far?" She asked. Ross wasn't accustomed to being called 'Mr. Jackson' especially from some one who was older than him, it just felt odd to him "Please, call me Ross.." He smiled softly "Ah yes, the start of the season... What can i say? it is my first team i have been a manager off and we have got off to a brilliant start but i have constantly been reminding the lads not to get complacent or to get their hopes up.. I just want them to keep their heads down and take things one match at a time..." Ross replied in a rather casual mood trying not to give anything away.

"Kieran Knight has won player of the month.. What are your thoughts on his success this month?" Another reporter asked, he seemed fresh faced, probably straight out of college and into the news room no doubt "He has be outstanding and it is a pleasure to work with player.. he will be one of the keys i hold that may just excell this club out of it's prior depressive state.." Ross nodded and gave a slight smile as he waited for the next inevitable question. "What is it that you, the manager, brought to the team to send them to the top of the board so early on?" The young male reporter asked. "Well.. the previous tactic employed by the players had many flaws and was too defender heavy, i am here to win games, not to aim for a draw...I also brought in a new training regime that i had employed when i was a coach at the youth club R.K.U.V.C in Holland.."

"What part of you team do you rely on the most?" a third reporter asked, another young male he was a reporter from the Maidenhead Advertiser, Ross knew this as he had spotted him before doning the flag of the local tabloid "I wouldn't say i have one sect in the team i utterly rely on.. Everyone has a job to do, even me.... and when the players stick to their positions and roles.. the magic really shows..... Anyway, it has been pleasant talking with you fine people.. but i have important things to attend to.. Good day.." Ross smiled and gave a slight casual wave as he walked back towards the entrance and towards his office. He didn't actually have anything that important to do on this particular dayt, he just wanted to have another coffee and not be hounded by the press.

Maidenhead United Goals {August}

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gV_6CQgIbc"]YouTube- Maidenhead United Goal Highlights FM2010[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice work, I'll follow. This Knight player looks very good..

thanks, yeah he seems to be working wonders. I use Keeagy G's training schedule and created my own tactic.. so i'll say it it a combo of the two that is getting the best out of him as the MC, AMC and the other striker play support roles where as Knight is the attacking striker. The wingers help too as the are both gifted at crossing it seems and they play the ball to Knight.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:44 PM ----------

maidenhead.png

September

August came and went in a flash for Ross, 5 games played, 4 of which were league games and the 5th being an FA cup Qualifying round. 4 wins and a draw safely see's Maidenhead united remain at the top of the table and qualifying to the next round of the FA cup. It is all to play for for the young manager.

Unfortunately his midfielder first team regular Bobby Behzadi has fallen injured with a Groin Strain, he is likely to be out for a month.

septemberfifaresults_000000.png
September 2009 Maidenhead Goal Highlights

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufyL77CM0o"]YouTube- Maidenhead United Goals September 2009[/ame]

WOW i like this story, but these results are incredible. How do you do it?

created my own training schedule and "overload" tactic. To be honest, i didn't think it would have this much of an impact instantly.. but hey, it's all good :)