The Y-Word

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 634

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
If you hadn't seen already through the various sources today sees the beginning of the campaign against the use of 'The Y Word'.

YouTube - The Y-Word

Tottenham Hotspur Website said:
Today sees the launch of the film the ‘Y-Word’, written and produced by David and Ivor Baddiel. We have worked with the creators of the film as we believe it has merit as a starting point for a debate on what is a complex issue in respect of the use of the 'Y word', but more importantly for raising greater awareness throughout the footballing community of the wider issue of anti-Semitic abuse and chanting in football.

Historically the 'Y word' chant has been adopted by Spurs fans as a ‘call to arms’ in order to own the term and thereby deflect anti-Semitic abuse. A small number of both Jewish and non-Jewish Spurs fans use the Y word in what they consider to be an inoffensive manner. The defining principle has always been whether or not the term is being used in a manner and in a tone which is deliberately intended to cause offence. In incidences which have resulted in prosecution of opposition fans, this has been the differentiating factor.

Whilst we recognize the sensitivities around the use of the Y word, this is only one aspect of the debate when tackling anti-Semitism.

It is unthinkable and wholly unacceptable that, in this day and age, supporters are subjected to anti-Semitic abuse such as hissing to imitate the gas chambers used during the Holocaust in the Second World War.

We look forward to an informed and proper debate with Kick it Out, stakeholders and the key authorities to raise greater awareness and put in place the stringent measures needed to stop anti-Semitic abuse in football.

We are committed to eliminating all forms of racism and we shall support efforts to kick anti-Semitism out of the game.

Y-Word =
Yid?

If so, don't see the major problem considering the Jewish fans sing along and have their own chants incorporating the word into it.

agree with the campaign, time to get rid of it

Why? The Spurs fans chant it as a "**** you" to both past and present anti-semitic taunts from opposition fans. They are proud of it, both Jewish and non-Jewish fans alike, and "Yid Army" is used to defuse the power held by the slur.

Doing away with the chant will only serve to empower those who use it negatively. I don't see the problem with the chant being used as a 'badge of honour', if you will.

Frankie said:
Don't Spurs sing the ''Y-Word''?

Yes, we don't support this campaign, and I'm annoyed that Ledley and Linekar have participated.

Sorry, but what's a Yid? Some kind of Jewish person?

Why? The Spurs fans chant it as a "**** you" to both past and present anti-semitic taunts from opposition fans. They are proud of it, both Jewish and non-Jewish fans alike, and "Yid Army" is used to defuse the power held by the slur.

Doing away with the chant will only serve to empower those who use it negatively. I don't see the problem with the chant being used as a 'badge of honour', if you will.

Yes, we don't support this campaign, and I'm annoyed that Ledley and Linekar have participated.

Not all Jewish fans/people support the use of it. Some paralells can be seen with N****r, its been reclaimed in ways, but there are still a lot of black peple who would be massively offended if called that by another person, black or otherwise.

Its arguably a controversial campaign, but personally one i agree with

But i'm more focused on the other parts on the campaign, like cutting out the gas chamber jibes, thats just sick

Not all Jewish fans/people support the use of it. Some paralells can be seen with N****r, its been reclaimed in ways, but there are still a lot of black peple who would be massively offended if called that by another person, black or otherwise.

Its arguably a controversial campaign, but personally one i agree with

But i'm more focused on the other parts on the campaign, like cutting out the gas chamber jibes, thats just sick

I don't really care if everybody supports it or not. The majority of fans in attendance at Tottenham games, as evidenced by the numerous videos available, do support the use of it and even engage in the use of it personally. The point is not that some people may be offended, but that the chant is used to defuse the power of a slur which would otherwise be used to offend everybody at these matches.

It is used to identify us as a club, and if we then disengage the use of 'Yid' as a word, then we're just empowering those who will use it against us.

I agree that the Auschwitz song is disgusting, and if they wish to focus their attention on the negative slurs used against Tottenham, then so be it, but they shouldn't start taking action against those of us who chant the word as a badge of honour.

Back