• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2K

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Intro

This story is partially factual. As in the club I start out with was dissolved, but then returned. So I have re-created the club the best I can based on available information, which is pretty scarce. And I would have started out in a much lower league, but due to database limitations, the lowest I can go is level 9 so will be starting out in STL League Northern Division One and swapped them with another club. And finally, it's based on what could happen as though the club has resurfaced, they aren't scheduled to start playing again until later this year or next.

I've also set my experience to automatic as usual, and all players are fictional at the club, and it has only the most basic of facilities/training facilities, shares a ground at Kingston Park with rugby club Newcastle Falcons-everything is what you would expect at grass roots level.

Background

Formed in 1930 as Newcastle Blue Star, the club was entered into the Newcastle Business Houses League two years later. The club would play in this league for six seasons before moving onto the North East Amateur League. Spells in the Tyneside Amateur League and Northern Combination would follow.

In 1973, under the name Blue Star Welfare, the club had advanced to the Wearside League. It was crowned champions during its first season in the league. It repeated the success in the 1975–76 season adding the championship to its name again. It also achieved victory in the FA Vase beating Barton Rovers at Wembley 2–1.
By the 1979 season, the club was named simply Blue Star. The early 1980s was a successful time for the club. It won the Wearside League in three consecutive seasons. Around this time it also reached the First Round proper of the FA Cup, knocked out by York City, losing 2–0 at Bootham Crescent
In 1992, a consortium placed a bid to buy cash-strapped Fourth Division side Maidstone United with the intention of moving it to the north-east and merging with Blue Star, thus giving Blue Star league football. The bid was turned down by Maidstone chairman Jim Thompson.
Following severe financial setbacks, the team wound up in 2009.

Northern League

The club entered into the Northern League Division Two for the 1985–86 season, emphatically winning it. It won 36 out of 38 games, only dropping points in two games (one a draw, the other a loss). Also in that season, the club scored a very high 133 goals. In 1986, the name was reverted to the original title: Newcastle Blue Star.
Newcastle Blue Star had moved up to the Northern League Division 1 and came very close to winning it in 1987–88. By the early 1990s, the club had a slump in the league, finishing generally in the lower half of the table. From 1994 until 1998, the club was known as RTM Newcastle, soon changing it back to Newcastle Blue Star.

The club was relegated to Division Two for the 1999–00 season, but bounced straight back up with a runners-up spot. Unable to regain the form of previous years, Newcastle spent three seasons in the lower regions of the table, the last of which was a bottom place finish and subsequent relegation. In 2004–05, Newcastle Blue Star was promoted into the Northern League Division One after ending the season in third place. Under the management of Eric Tait, Blue Star had a fantastic return to Division One, winning it for the first time and also completing the double by winning the Northern League Cup. Unfortunately for the club, it was not promoted because their Wheatsheaf Ground did not reach league standards.
Recent History

It was announced as of the 2007–08 season that Blue Star would share the 10,200 capacity Kingston Park stadium with rugby side Newcastle Falcons. The ground change allowed the club to progress to the Northern Premier League Division One North which stands at level 8 on the football pyramid.In September 2007, Tommy Cassidy was appointed manager, joining from Workington. As of March 2008, Workington were still claiming £10,000 compensation.

On 8 March 2008, Newcastle Blue Star asked the FA if they could take the place of the relegated team in the league. The reason being that the costs of playing in this division were too high, and this could be due to the fact that they are the only Newcastle based team in the division, and at least 9 of the opposing teams are in the Manchester area, meaning the team have to pay for a coach to every away game, and paying costs for the visitors at a home game. The Northern League (the feeder division that Newcastle came from) had said that they would welcome the team back. This was confirmed on 26 March that Blue Star would be relegated in place of the bottom placed team in the league. However on 4 April it was announced that the league allowed Blue Star to stay in the Northern Premier League as they had withdrawn their request.

On 26 March 2008, the club announced Paul Baker as the club's new manager. He succeeded Tommy Cassidy who left the club to pursue management at a higher level than the proposed drop back to Northern League offered. On Wednesday 9 April 2008, Newcastle Blue Star scored two goals in the first 47 seconds of their 3–0 win over Bamber Bridge. This is believed to be a world record.

In the 2008/09 season, Newcastle Blue Star finished 3rd in the Northern Premier League Division One North but were promoted to the Northern Premier League Premier Division after a 4–1 victory over Curzon Ashton at Kingston Park in the Play-off final. On Monday 11 May 2009, it was announced that the club was facing the possibility of folding after being hit with a demand to repay £65,000 of loans previously made by the Football Stadia Improvement Fund to improve the club's former Wheatsheaf Ground; this on the basis that the club is no longer playing there. Although it was offered the option of retiring the debt in instalments, the club chose to cease operations in June 2009.
AFC Newcastle Blue Star

The club launched by supporters is back after being dissolved in 2009. They launched on Friday 28th September 2012. The club will continue to share the 10,200 capacity Kingston Park stadium with rugby side Newcastle Falcons. What league the club will play in is unknown but looks likely to join a league in 2013/14 season.
Honours

• FA Vase
    • Winners: 1977–78
  • Northern Premier League Division One North
    • Playoff winners: 2008–09
  • Northern League Division One
    • Champions: 2005–06
    • Runners-up: 1987–88
  • Northern League Division Two
    • Champions: 1985–86
    • Runners-up: 1999–2000
    • Promoted: 2004–05
  • Northern League Cup
    • Winners: 1985–86, 2005–06
    • Runners-up: 1990–91
  • Wearside League
    • Winners: 1973–74, 1975–76, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1984–85
    • Runner-up: 1974–75, 1977–78, 1979–80

View attachment 301985

Chapter 1

The story begins

This was what I had looked forward for such a long time-managing a club, but not just that. A grass roots level club which history. With tradition, a family club. Although I wasn't being paid, and my contract was rolling, I didn't care. I had dreamt of this moment for a long time. The club was rebuilding from scratch. From being dissolved, back to being a club again thanks to the fans. And hopefully I would make it into a bit of a fairytale return. It would be a tough task, but I was up to the challenge.

And the factor in my favour was no pressure. We were tipped by the press to not have a good season, so I wasn't expected to set the league on fire. And the chairman made the point in no uncertain terms, do what I can without any pressure. As I walked towards the Kingston Park stadium, my heart began to pound. My first team talk.

I walked into the changing rooms and the players took a seat, and there were a few greetings from the players. Everyone looked very enthusiastic, and with good reason. New era, no hopes and aspirations. It was a new dawn for everyone. Everyone hushed and I began.

"Alright lads." I began. "I know that you probably don't have a clue who I am, so it's best for me to do the introduction to you all. This is my first job in management, but I'm not totally clueless, and I'm aware of the task at hand. To get this club back to where it belongs." Some of the players nodded firmly. A few had played for the club before, before it became AFC Newcastle Blue Star. "The plan I have for the club is simply to make it successful again. It'll be tough, and there will be some bumps in the road, but as long as we're patient, let things develop, we'll set the building blocks for a good future for the club. I have ideas, plans. But to make them work, I need you to work to your maximum abilities. As the chairman would expect me to do the same. I don't plan to make you do anything flamboyant or unneccessary. Just good old fashioned football, as it's meant to be played without risks." Players took it all in with nods. The captain Darryl Preece raised a hand.

"Go on." I told the captain. He looked like he was rearing to go already.

"Even though you don't have experience, it's good we have someone new and with fresh ideas. I'm looking forward to working for you personally, and we'll do our best for you."
All the players nodded in firm agreement. I smiled.

"Thanks guys. At times some players find it hard to accept someone raw, but it's good to know I'll have your backing. We need to work as a unit and be on the same wavelength. And when we have a good season, it'll get the fans back watching, bring in money and we can take it from there. I've seen some of you training and in the practice match, and as a team you've enough talent for us to do well."
More smiles, but more broad.

Following the team talk, I decided to look over the training session. The first one of a new club, and the players worked very hard. To the point where I had to tell some of them to calm down a bit. They were desperate to impress, but had to be careful. Last thing I wanted was a pile of injuries caused by training too hard. It was a small squad, but already we had transfer targets in mind. That was an advantage of players on amateur contracts-the freedom to pick them up from other clubs for no fee, and not having to pay a wage. There was a wealth of talent available for no cost.

After the training had finished, I looked at various team reports. We had a friendly against Newcastle Benfield coming up in a few days so I'd be able to see for certain any weaknesses. The squad was slightly small, and we were badly short of cover at right back and needed some strikers. But it was looking good with what we had already. I sat back and began the process of thinking over tactics and strategy. I needed to keep it simple and use the basics to the maximum. Passing triangles, short passing, a good tempo that wouldn't wear the players down to fast. We were short of fitness coaches, and there were over 40 games to play so rotation would be key.

I packed up and headed for the car. My tasks for the evening-shopping at Kingston Park, then back home to start planning.

Transfer Updates

Players In

Liam Hubbuck

Position: Striker
Career History: 2007-2010 Sunderland (Premier League) and Consett

Jake Handbury

Position: Right fullback
Career History: 2009-2011 Chesterfield (League 2)

Danny Hawkins

Position: Striker/Right sided attacking midfielder
Career History: 2008-2010 Middlesbrough (Premier League/Championship), 2010-2011 Shildon AFC and Bishop Auckland

Jak Quantrill

Position: Right fullback
Career History: 2006-2009 Hartlepool United (League 1)

Players Out

Marc Charlton

To: Ashington
Fee: Free Transfer

Grant Owen

To: Hebburn Town

Reiss Nugent

To: Southport

Pat Neary

To: South Shields
Fee: Free Transfer​

And so the big kick off had arrived. A season opener against Newcastle Benfield at home, and it would be a tough game. They had good players, and were well organised. We were adjusting to my ideas still. I had only been in charge a few days, so there was still going to be some adjustment required, and I would have to be patient.

*Strategy and Formation*

4-4-2 starting formation. The idea is very basic. Creativity is to be limited due to limited creativity among the current squad, and lack of team cohesion currently. Players will stand off the opposition, to hopefully limit available space for passing, and reduce the number of attacking opportunities, and frustrate. It will be a standard philosophy, to be adjusted as required during the match, depending on the situation. The shape will be rigid aswell.

Passing will be short and basic, and to retain possession due to the strength of the majority of the teams in the division. Marking will be zonal. Attacking movements will start from the back and work forward, not to use playmakers, and work the ball into the box at a normal tempo. Crossing shall be drilled, and to tackle players by not diving in to avoid errors that would permit the opposition to evade these tackles either via hurdling or other movements.

It would be a gamble aswell. We'd be facing a 4-5-1 from what I read in scout reports, so we'd be outnumbered in midfield. However, they had weakness too as in pace on the flanks and in one or two of their defenders. So we'd have to hope the best-we didn't have the right players for a 4-5-1 ourselves, and going 4-3-3 would be far too dangerous. The pre-match talk was very simple. They are a strong side with good players, so if we got a draw it would be a good point. A win would be fantastic. If we lost, it wouldn't be a disaster. There would be another 45 matches to play. Just to do their best and not do anything stupid, like getting sent off or giving away possession in dangerous areas.

To concede the winning goal in the 76th minute was a real kick in the balls. We had good spells of possession, had shots on target, tackled well, passed quite well too. But the fouls disrupted everything-and it was a foul that led to the goal. It was a harsh lesson for the players to learn. All very well controlling things in spells, but if you can't control yourself you'll get punished one way or another. And today they learnt the hard way. If the free kick hadn't have been given away on the edge of the box it would have ended 0-0 which would have been very satisfying.

But on the flipside, some players were still not fully match fit-especially the players we had brought in recently-they needed more match time to reach match fitness. And the weather disrupted plans too. Very heavy rain, strong winds. Crosses went wayward all the time. Though we were so very nearly lucky with one cross. It came from the right and missed everyone-a gust of wind pushing it hard. Though it also missed their keeper-though sadly it didn't miss the crossbar. But things were looking promising. They knew what I wanted and the majority of the time it did work. Even though we were outnumbered in midfield we were still able to push up and cause problems. So I couldn't be harsh on the players. They showed what they could do-and we had to keep doing that. It would come good I knew that much.

We just now had to pick ourselves up for the next match against Durham City..............

Back