This game is becoming hard to enjoy

fadeout

Reaction score
I'm 60 hours into this game now, tried different teams. Usually it's like this: starting every season winning, then conceding more goals every game while I still win and then start drawing 0-0's and losing 0-1's. Up to the point that I just rage-quitted while my team was down 0-5 half-time against Arsenal. Absolute bullshit.

Somehow everything feels so random. Losing games against lower teams despite warning for complacency.. Not to mention missing every CCC at away games. Really really hard to enjoy this. Also the same **** seems to repeat itself every season. Got the feeling I'm being forced to change tactics every five games to get a consistent flow of good results.

Any advice? Uninstall the game maybe? I felt the same 'randomness' messed up my experience with FM15, but maybe some advice helps.

http://imgur.com/a/YIxm9

Last edited:
You have no one protecting the defence. Use at least one holding midfielder in central midfield.
And I will also drop all the TI's.

You have no one protecting the defence. Use at least one holding midfielder in central midfield.
And I will also drop all the TI's.

Thanks for the input! I Put Javi Martinez on DM anchor man role, dropped all TI's and won 1-3 at Derby.

Still a bit worried about my DC's though, I usually put them on tight marking and that used to work, but they seem to play sloppier lately. Could you provide any advice there?

FM is literally too easy. The AI knows **** about transfers etc.
The first 2-3 seasons are always fun, and then it just gets easy, by 2020 it's not even worth playing.

Unless you do the Mourinho challenge or only use regens from your academy or whatever

The first 2-3 seasons are always fun, and then it just gets easy, by 2020 it's not even worth playing.

Unless you do the Mourinho challenge or only use regens from your academy or whatever
Happy to hear somebody thinks it's easy cause for me is very hard cause I'm still learning tactic stuff etc.. I have had 2 saves where I count I'm been succesfully. First was FM07 in Finnish Veikkausliiga and second was in FM14 with Spurs and with Spurs I didn't even win the BPL.

Good for you mate.

What's the point of claiming you find this game easy as a response in a thread where someone is asking advice?

I do remember it get's easier later on, but it has never been this challenging when it comes to tweaking tactics imo. With earlier FM's you could play the same tactic for seasons.

Last edited:
1. Why are you playing counter? Not saying that you shouldnt merely asking what you want your players to be doing? Do you know what counter does exactly?

Have a gander of this, its very well written and informative: The Art of Counter Attacking Football | SI Sports Centre

2. Why are your fbs on auto? Do you know what auto does means?

3. I would also not have two IFs doing the same thing. Have one (the right one preferably be a winger for variation for example or even a raumdeuter).

4. Do you play the same way changing nothing against all teams? Thats a recipe for disaster imho cos all teams dont play the same way against you.

5. Also have a gander of this, you may find stuff in it helpful: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2016-discussion/351743-manumads-box-choccies.html

1. Why are you playing counter? Not saying that you shouldnt merely asking what you want your players to be doing? Do you know what counter does exactly?

Have a gander of this, its very well written and informative: The Art of Counter Attacking Football | SI Sports Centre

2. Why are your fbs on auto? Do you know what auto does means?

3. I would also not have two IFs doing the same thing. Have one (the right one preferably be a winger for variation for example or even a raumdeuter).

4. Do you play the same way changing nothing against all teams? Thats a recipe for disaster imho cos all teams dont play the same way against you.

Thanks for your reply!

I took the counter-approach at that time because I thought Arsenal would be playing very offensively and hoped to create chances with my quick wingers/IF's. Point taken about the IF's, will try that :)

I suppose FB"s on 'auto' means they adapt to the game, adjusting to how a match unfolds?

I suppose FB"s on 'auto' means they adapt to the game, adjusting to how a match unfolds?
No, it just sets the duty to match your mentality. That's all. Counter, IIRC, means they'll have a Support duty.

A key point about countering is that your TIs control how you play when a counter is NOT triggered.

Another key point is to know that each mentality already has defaults. Counter, being a safe mentality and one step lower than Standard, will already have a fairly deep line and fairly direct passing at the back. Just something to remember before you add instructions that make your tactic worse.

My observations about center backs roles shows that using a stopper and a defender will create some holes in your defense. I suggest you put them both on defend role. If you insist to use two insider forward, then you should instruct full backs to stay wide, cross often, cross from byline.