• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3K

charby19

Reaction score
32953d1264957082-lgfires-story-templates-skysports.png

SPARTANS TO JOIN THIRD DIVISION
The_Spartans_FC_Logo_275x278.png

East of Scotland Premier side replace East Stirlingshire in the Irn Bru Third Division

The SFL has today accepted North Edinburgh based side Spartans' application to join the fourth tier of Scottish football. Spartans have taken the place of East Stirlingshire in the SFL system, who last week announced plans to compete in the East of Scotland Premier due to financial troubles.

Spartans will become Edinburgh's first club other than Hearts and Hibs to play in the League since Meadowbank Thistle's relocation to Livingston in 1995.

The jump from the non-league football to the Third Division could prove too much for Spartans, but after successes in the Scottish Cup against SFL sides young manager Andrew Gill fully believes his squad compete at this level.

"We've had 2 or 3 great runs in the Cup in recent years, and I know my lads are more than capable of playing against teams of this standard."

"Joining the SFL is a wonderful opportunity for Spartans and I'm sure that with the board's support I can take this club far."

EEN_logo.gif

Edinburgh Evening News is pleased to announce a new weekly feature - Coach's Corner, a weekly column by Spartans manager Andrew Gill every Monday night.

Coaches Corner - 04/07/11
First of all, I would like to thank the Spartans fans for the support I have received since joining the club at the start of June. It has really inspired me to do whatever it takes to take this club forward. After spending a season playing for the club at Under 17s level, I quickly learned that this club has potential far greater than the dead end East of Scotland Leagues. Competing in the Third Division has magnificently broadened our horizons, and I am savouring the thought of the challenge that lies before me.

Preseason is well and truly under way, and we have been victorious in both fixtures we have played so far. Petersfield were defeated 1-0 after a strike from centre back Kevin Sivewright and we emerged 4-3 away at Forfar West End yesterday. I think we should be beating these teams by more than one goal, but preseason is about fitness and adapting to new tactics.

I have been busy in the transfer market in the past few days, bringing in former Albion Rovers midfielder Darren Dalrymple and two Irishmen. Former Barnsley Striker Jamil Adam made his debut for the club at Forfar yesterday, marking the appearance with a pleasing hat-trick. Winger James Cronesberry has also been brought in to the club after he failed to secure a professional contract at Championship giants Middlesbrough. I have also added coach Mark McGeown to my backroom team. Mark will be responsible for coaching the goalkeepers and tactical training.

Spartans host Stirling Albion on Thursday night. Kick off is 7.30pm at Ainslie Park, tickets are only £5 and schoolchildren come free with a paying adult. Hope to see you all there backing the lads.

Andrew

Last edited:
Coaches Corner - 11/07/11
It has been a great week for Spartans, defeating Second Division opposition Stirling Albion 5-1 at Ainslie Park, and completing the free transfer of defensive midfielder Tony Quinn from Third Division rivals Queen's Park. We have also agreed terms with London born midfielder Tommy Tejan-Sie who spent last season at Blue Square South side Thurrock.

Thursday's victory against Stirling Albion was a very proud moment for myself and this football club. A convincing win over higher division opposition sends a message to the rest of our league that we are not here to make up the numbers. Spartans will be a force to be reckoned with. New signing Jamil Adam bagged his second hat-trick in a Spartans shirt in as many appearances for the club.

View attachment 226446

Through the rest of preseason I will be introducing you to the Spartans squad, position by position. This week the strikers will feature.
View attachment 226448
Jamil Adam
20 year old Bolton born Adam is new to the club, joining on a free transfer only last week. A product of Barnsley's youth acadamy, Adam is a fast, ambitious young striker who has experience playing in the English Championship. The Irishman will be vital to our success this season and I hope you welcome him at Ainslie Park.

View attachment 226449
Keith McLeod
Veteran striker Keith McLeod is one of Spartans' greatest servants. Keith has been with the club since the 2002/03 season, when he joined from former East of Scotland rivals Civil Service Strollers. McLeod is a pacy, natural poacher who should be banging in the goals on a weekly basis.

View attachment 226447
Chris Smith
Chris is a product of the Spartans Community Football Academy, progressing through the under 19s and Junior teams. This will be Chris' first season in the Senior squad and everyone at the club is looking forward to big things coming from this young player.

View attachment 226450
Omar Kader
Omar is another player who has shown great loyalty to Spartans, entering his sixth season with the club. Kader will mainly be with the B team in the Junior leagues, but will be regularly called up to the Senior team for injury cover.

Morale is high at training and we cannot wait to begin the campaign. We have been given tough draws in the Challenge Cup and the League Cup, drawing First Division sides Partick Thistle and Falkirk. Preseason continues on Wednesday when we welcome Forfar Athletic to Ainslie Park.

On the Editor lad. Moved East Stirling to the East of Scotland Premier, put Spartans in the Third Division

Back