Thorpado - Counter Attacking Football 3-5-2

Thorpado

Reaction score
Thorpado - Counter Attacking Football 3-5-2 (13.3.3) Home & Away

If anyone out there is still playing FM2013 then I thought I would share my tactic. I am West Ham first season and I finished in second place and won the FA Cup against Chelsea after losing a DM after being sent off second half:

View attachment 341305 View attachment 341304

and my first season results with some key result highlights

View attachment 341914 View attachment 341300 View attachment 341299 View attachment 341303 View attachment 341302 View attachment 341301

and the tactical layout which is here:

View attachment 341913

I have found this works really well defensively. A lot of it is based around the ideas of Mr Langvatns tactics so solid defensively and punching above your weight against he big teams. In regards to the best types of player I have no fixed formula so try different types. I have found counter attacks from defending opponents set pieces work well on this tactic. Against Man Utd at home, two of my DC's played really badly hence the drubbing but a quick team talk sorted that out for the next fixture

Training in pre-season is Team Cohesion very high with match prep full and tactics only. A week before the start of my first league match I switched to attacking movement with match prep to 30% and balanced on medium.

Individual training:-
GK - Goalkeeper
DC - Centre Back
WB - Wing Back
DM - Central Midfielder
SC - Complete Forward

I will update my final first season league table shortly when I get time (have two kids!)

Tactic download is here Thorpado

Last edited:
Thanks Lechibaw, what team are you going to try it with out of interest?

I will be following this! 2nd place half way through the season with an underdog team like Westham is certainly very promising in 1st season as well. So imagine in a few seasons time when you can afford good players in all positions, this tactic could take off. What sort of midfielders do you use deep laying playmakers - box to box or attacking midfielders that you retrain to DMC's ?

Your OP looks much better so I decided to edit my post :)

Well done

Cheers

Last edited:
I could'nt seem to upload pics directly last night or enter lines down for paragraphs! I have tidied it up a bit now and will update when I finish my season over the weekend.

I use alltime Toulouse FC in french league :) I'll post ss at the half season

Do you use Mr L set pieces?

I use alltime Toulouse FC in french league :) I'll post ss at the half season

Do you use Mr L set pieces?

I use a very similar set pice though I hold an extra player to stay back rather than stay back if needed. I don't tend to concede a lot on set pieces so I am certainly happy with the defensive set up on them

Screenshot by Lightshot first season and champion with toulouse :)
it seems to be a great tactic, like Mr Langvaten tactics. I will see that in champions league against european strongers teams now :)

Thanks for the feedback Lechibaw and happy it worked well for you!:)

I will be following this! 2nd place half way through the season with an underdog team like Westham is certainly very promising in 1st season as well. So imagine in a few seasons time when you can afford good players in all positions, this tactic could take off. What sort of midfielders do you use deep laying playmakers - box to box or attacking midfielders that you retrain to DMC's ?

Your OP looks much better so I decided to edit my post :)

Well done

Cheers

Hi Jesaustralia, I have used various types of DM such as Strandberg and Kouyate who have excellent defensive stats to Will Hughes who I have converted to DM. My general rule of thumb is like Mr Langvatn in that if tackling and marking are 10+ then I train as a box to box midfielder to improve attacking stats and if they are not up to scratch in the tackling and marking stats I use central midfielder or even anchorman if stats are really low in these areas. I would use more defensive players with a poorer team when playing a big team

Hi Jesaustralia, I have used various types of DM such as Strandberg and Kouyate who have excellent defensive stats to Will Hughes who I have converted to DM. My general rule of thumb is like Mr Langvatn in that if tackling and marking are 10+ then I train as a box to box midfielder to improve attacking stats and if they are not up to scratch in the tackling and marking stats I use central midfielder or even anchorman if stats are really low in these areas. I would use more defensive players with a poorer team when playing a big team

So you don't care about creativity? Box to Box doesn't train it but the training schedule complete forward does which is the schedule that comes closest to box to box, whats your take on that.

So you don't care about creativity? Box to Box doesn't train it but the training schedule complete forward does which is the schedule that comes closest to box to box, whats your take on that.

I'm more interested in bumping up finishing skills as the DM's get into shooting positions. I tend to find the DM's are more about winning the ball as high up the field as possible and then with the slow temp passing around through the middle with the through ball. If the through ball fails initially my team still seems to win the second ball to try again. Creativity is a good stat for them to have but not as important as other stats. However I have changed my individual training for strikers to Complete Forward off the back of your suggestion as the strikers do work hard.

Opening post updated with first season results, league table and an FA Cup win :)

Very cool, now I want to see you build your team stronger and stronger each year to see the full potential of your tactic, keep us updated.

Cheers