Reaction score
I am trying to implement a tiki taka system but have run into a few issues. I am dominating possession (60%+) and have around 500-600 passes completed per game, but how do I:

1) Get my striker to score more goals?
2) I have a lot of shots per game but roughly have are from outside the box. How do I decrease this?
3) Decrease the number of crosses per game? (30+ per game)

Here is my tactic

View attachment 102850View attachment 102849

Any help is appreciated!!

Could be that they're shooting because play is far too rushed (meaning they need to make a decison immediately) and your passing range very short, cutting out potential passing options.

Could be that they're shooting because play is far too rushed (meaning they need to make a decison immediately) and your passing range very short, cutting out potential passing options.
Thanks for the feedback. I find that there are an excessive number of crosses being attempted each match and the completion rate is not very high. Is the high cross attempt due to my full back roles or the match engine?

Thanks for the feedback. I find that there are an excessive number of crosses being attempted each match and the completion rate is not very high. Is the high cross attempt due to my full back roles or the match engine?
This is also something you can check yourself. The CWB will definitely cross a lot. It's his role and duty to. You ask this of him.

The other occasions you will need to check if your settings are preventing them from using another passing option. As I said, your settings are a little extreme.

I would change your striker from False 9 to something that will allow him to play higher up the pitch and not dropping deep. Also not 100% but can’t imagine play with 3 playmakers in the middle of the pitch will be helping the formation. Maybe change one to box to box so you have an extra player from midfield getting into the box more to offer support.

1. You have to many Playmakers. 3 Playmakers in mid field and also a false 9 which will also play to a certain degree as a playmaker and also a ball playing cb. I would only recommand 2 playmakers and maybe one ball playing cb.

I would switch the deep lying playmaker support to a box to box midfielder (bc you need supporting roles(not duties) in midfield. Your midfield has litterly 0 tackling) or replace the deep lying playmaker with either a half back or a a DM(D). This will help you get more stability in midfield.

2. I would switch your Striker either to a DLF(Attack) or a CF(Attack). I think this would increase your amount of goals scored by your striker. I think a f9 here is not good bc it takes a player out of the box and puts it next to pogba. This decreases pressure on defense and also will lead to less goal opportunities. Martial alone in box wont be enough.

3.The reason why your team playes so many crosses is bc your formation is set on wide. This encourage your team to play on the wings (bc the ball and the player is allready there) and how do you get a ball inside the box from the wings? Crosses. Thats why your team playes so many crosses.
Most high possesion tactics in fm17 are played with a either feirly narrow or narrow width which makes short passes obviously easier to execute and less likely to fail. Also wide are bad when you are doing a lot of Gegenpressing (which is core for any ticki taka system.) bc your team wont be compact and there will be a lot of room between your players. What will happen is that one of your players will close down the opponent but the rooms are to wide for his mates to cover which will result in open space and scoring opportunities. If I would be you I would recommand a narrow width.

4. Also maybe worth mentioning is that you play on a high temp but with play out of defence and retain possesion which will incurages players to slow down to get hold of the ball and control of the game (the exact opposite what a high tempo does.)
I would throw out retain posession and play out of defence.

I wil upload to tactics of me from my valencia save which are quite defense minded but have a avarage posession of around 60% and I only got conceded 6 goals in 20 games.

You dont have to use them and they are not perfect but they can be good examples how to play a ticki taka like system.
View attachment 102554View attachment 102553