Timmsy's 5-4-1 Twist Tactic (Requires testing)

timmsy123

Reaction score
Timmsy's 5-4-1 Twist Tactic
Please Test

Alright guys, i've been around this site a while and many of you might know me, however i have never properly uploaded my own full tactic as previously i have just been learning from others and taking ideas and advice from them.

However, i now feel it is time to give something back so i have developed my own tactic. I based it on a Man City save i have and it got me decent results! 3 quadruples on the bounce and then i got a bit bored of winning anything. Now i know you may be thinking that being Man City just put 11 men on the pitch and you'll win. Well... i want to prove that this is not the case and that my tactic can work for other teams to.

So what is it i here you ask? Well it is a variation on a 5-4-1 formation. And looks a little something like this...

View attachment 89464

(Screenshots taken from a new game i have started with Man City, bought different players to see if it still works and just won the League, FA Cup and Europa League first season)

Why this formation i here you ask?!

Well during my FM career and generally through watching football i love nothing more than seeing a team get it wide and attack with pace down the flanks. However, i have noticed that in recent versions of FM i have found most success when playing through the middle and my teams that are set up with wingers come unstuck against teams playing the midfield diamond such as Chelsea. Then one day the light bulb went off in my head... Why can't you have both? This set up has a solid spine with 3 Centrehalves, a Midfield diamond and Complete Forward up top on his own linking with the Trequartista playing behind him and then when you thought that was it... You have your 2 marauding wing backs bombing up and down the wings supplying width and a supply of crosses for the Forward players! For your wing backs to be succesful they MUST have a 15+ rating for Pace, Acceleration, Stamina and preferably work rate. This is because they need to be able to work back as effectively as they work forward. Good Crossing stats would also be nice too!

Now you've seen the layout, you might want to see the team instructions:

View attachment 89465

So there are the TI's, now a brief run through of the player positions/roles/duties:

GK: Goalkeeper - Defend
WBR: Wing Back - Attack
WBL: Wing Back - Attack
CB: Central Defender - Defend
DM: Anchorman - Defend
CM: Deep-Lying Playmaker - Support
CM: Box-to-box Midfielder - Support
AM: Trequartista - Attack
CF: Complete Forward - Attack

I will now upload a file attachment of the tactic for you to plug and play here: View attachment 89470

One final thing from me... I play the 3 CB's as simple Central Defenders - Defend as i am old fashioned. However, i have experimented in a few games playing the outside 2 CB's as Stoppers and the middle CB as a cover and this seemed to work as well. It's down to personal preference and whether you can fully get to grips with the stopper/cover settings. The tactic i've uploaded is set with 3CB's as Central Defenders with PI's to suit. If you change to the stopper/cover system make sure you change the PI's accordingly.

All feedback is very much appreciated. If this system fails drastically for you don't be shy in letting me know and i shall try to fix flaws.

Please could you set out yout test report as follows:
  • Team Used
  • Display results (Use it for atleast 10 games)
  • Outline Strengths
  • Outline any weaknesses
  • Rating out of 10
Most importantly enjoy the game and keep on FMing!

If you're gonna help me out and give this a go please let me know, took a lot of time and effort to construct :)

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:40 PM ----------

No-one fancies it then? Wasted effort :S

Give people chance mate, more people will probably see this tomorrow.

Looks good mate but wouldnt really know who to test it with and im really into my save atm and my players wouldnt suit it haha.

Give people chance mate, more people will probably see this tomorrow.

Looks good mate but wouldnt really know who to test it with and im really into my save atm and my players wouldnt suit it haha.

Hmm i did post it like 3hours ago or something :S or well! Its alright mate i understand it does require certain specific players i just wanna see if it works with other people :)

i used to use this tactic on soccermanager.com, before i bought football manager

ill test it for you with a lower leauge club alright m8

I was wondering what size of the pitch to use?

Erm Standard or Maximum width mate to get the best out of the wingbacks.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Anything to report guys?

I will try this tac out when i test the latest version of my database (kill 2 birds with 1 stone) - will probably be a very low league team, Three Bridges or Chadderton :p

I made a little tweaking here and there. Hope its okay? :)
I changed a few roles because its not making many chances to score.
Complete forward is now Poacher
Defensive Midfielder is now Anchor
And two Central Midfielders are Adwanced playmakers.
I also set:
Zonal marking
Pass trough middle
And set wider and and slower tempo. ;)
I have made these chances because against Lyon home we were 0-0 and away 1-1 i won on away goals.
We scored from a penalty.:mad:
So far i think its a good but not great tactic because i score only on counter.
I will test it to 20 games then feedback ;)

PS: In shouts i use:
Work ball into box
Look for overlap
Play wider
Retain possesion.

BTW: my first game vs Villareal won 1-0 from a counterattack.
Said u its a counterattacking tactic ;)

Last edited:
I made a little tweaking here and there. Hope its okay? :)
I changed a few roles because its not making many chances to score.
Complete forward is now Poacher
Defensive Midfielder is now Anchor
And two Central Midfielders are Adwanced playmakers.
I also set:
Zonal marking
Pass trough middle
And set wider and and slower tempo. ;)
I have made these chances because against Lyon home we were 0-0 and away 1-1 i won on away goals.
We scored from a penalty.:mad:
So far i think its a good but not great tactic because i score only on counter.
I will test it to 20 games then feedback ;)

PS: In shouts i use:
Work ball into box
Look for overlap
Play wider
Retain possesion.

BTW: my first game vs Villareal won 1-0 from a counterattack.
Said u its a counterattacking tactic ;)

Cheers mate sound like decent tweaks, did i not have the DM as Anchorman anyway? If not then it should be!

Cheers mate sound like decent tweaks, did i not have the DM as Anchorman anyway? If not then it should be!

It was Defensive midfielder-support.Not sure why though oO)

Btw: My computer is so slow that for 20 games i will be over for a few days. :mad:
And dont be impatient!
Dont go around yelling that no one has any feedback ;)