Tons of Possession, Fair amount of Shots, Can't win a game - Help Me Fix This Tactic!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sokodjou
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 3K

Sokodjou

Reaction score
So I started with a Frankenstein approach - I stole bits and pieces from other tactics (Supermatt's BR Reborn, Zero Sea's Athena, King Jassar) and then tweaked them into something I liked. The result isn't half-bad. Typically I retain the majority of possession and I create more shots than the other guys. However, I really struggle to win games, more often than not I end in a tie even though I've dominated the game - I'm extremely sick of my assistant telling me that 'in spite of the scoreline we are in complete control of the game'.

Any suggestions anyone has to how I can produce more scoring opportunities and CCC's would be greatly appreciated.

Sidenote - these screenshots are from my custom team playing in League 1. I wanted to see if making a stacked team would yield better results - it didn't really make much of a difference.

Thanks!

TACTIC - 4-3-3 CodeNameAmsterdamView attachment 316209

View attachment 316214View attachment 316215View attachment 316216View attachment 316217

Typical Results
View attachment 316210View attachment 316211View attachment 316212View attachment 316213

I would say that your team is too stretched, having all advanced players on an attacking duty. Here, they might take their runs forward too early in attack, getting isolated for the rest of the team when a quick attack is not on. When facing teams sitting deep. They will not even stretch their defence as their is no space to run into.

Why not try to use Either a Trequartista( with high closing down) upfront along with one winger in support and one winger on attack. It might also be a good idea to let your DMC be on support and use on MC on defend. This way, you will have lots of players moving between the lines.

One thing that i have noticed is so called possession tactics is high defense and over populated boxes.

So, they can just have 1 shoot, but if it's a striker alone against your keeper because all your player are in the other side of the field, that should result in a goal against you. High defense line will work with CBs and FBs/WBS with 16 + of pace, positioning and acceleration and 18+ of anticipation, imo. With this you can focus in attack. But... after what i have saw in the past week and my experience on experimenting tactics, i have to agree with FM creators: Possession tactics are risky, and don't work all the time even with Barcelona. Last year, FM12 had a possession break tactic that had the same problems that you have: lot's of possession but no CCCs. And i mean lots like 80 %. Barca works because they have Messi. Cosmos don't.

You should focus on not so many possession but more vertical football. you can keep possession if you attack quick and you grab the ball quicker! Making the other team shoot the ball from their defense for your CBs to collect it and pass them to your creative players is the key, imo. High and aggressive tight marking from your strikers and mids its a must. I have tried and failed, it's not easy...

One thing that i have noticed is so called possession tactics is high defense and over populated boxes.

So, they can just have 1 shoot, but if it's a striker alone against your keeper because all your player are in the other side of the field, that should result in a goal against you. High defense line will work with CBs and FBs/WBS with 16 + of pace, positioning and acceleration and 18+ of anticipation, imo. With this you can focus in attack. But... after what i have saw in the past week and my experience on experimenting tactics, i have to agree with FM creators: Possession tactics are risky, and don't work all the time even with Barcelona. Last year, FM12 had a possession break tactic that had the same problems that you have: lot's of possession but no CCCs. And i mean lots like 80 %. Barca works because they have Messi. Cosmos don't.

You should focus on not so many possession but more vertical football. you can keep possession if you attack quick and you grab the ball quicker! Making the other team shoot the ball from their defense for your CBs to collect it and pass them to your creative players is the key, imo. High and aggressive tight marking from your strikers and mids its a must. I have tried and failed, it's not easy...

Agree 100% with the bit about possession tactics not always being great, prime example of this (Although I hate to have to use it :'( ) is the difference between Arsenal and 5pur2 in yesterday's derby. We kept the ball most of the time, passed it around in midfield and defence but by the time we tried to get the ball into the box, they had got players back.
On the other hand, as soon as they got the ball they would get the ball forward as fast as possible, before we managed to get players back.

Possession should be done like this, if possible:

High d-line for wingers, strikers and CMs
One anchor man
Normal d-line for defense, creating a false space between the defenders and the CMs. the area for your anchor "predator" man to roam like a pitbull for legs and some ball :D
Aggressive and tight marking from your wingers, strikers and CMs.

this way the opponent defenders will just try to get the ball away, since they don't have good decisions attributes (general idea), and your superman CBs or pitbull anchor man will get the ball.

Your FBs/WBs should have a tight man marking, hard tackle to keep the opposite wingers in their pocket and it's the normal way for clubs to counter. An idea is to put your wingers to man mark the same wingers that the FBs/WBs are marking, creating a 2 vs 1 scenario.

So:
sweeper keeper
very good anticipation and marking FBs/WBs
+18 CBs with what i have said before
Tall, good header anchor man to clear everything in the area
2 CMs like Yaya Touré
2 wingers or IFs like Bale or Yarmolenko :D
1 striker like Tevez to man mark and Falcao to score :D

"Easy", right ?

So I started with a Frankenstein approach - I stole bits and pieces from other tactics (Supermatt's BR Reborn, Zero Sea's Athena, King Jassar) and then tweaked them into something I liked. The result isn't half-bad. Typically I retain the majority of possession and I create more shots than the other guys. However, I really struggle to win games, more often than not I end in a tie even though I've dominated the game - I'm extremely sick of my assistant telling me that 'in spite of the scoreline we are in complete control of the game'.

Any suggestions anyone has to how I can produce more scoring opportunities and CCC's would be greatly appreciated.

Sidenote - these screenshots are from my custom team playing in League 1. I wanted to see if making a stacked team would yield better results - it didn't really make much of a difference.

Thanks!

TACTIC - 4-3-3 CodeNameAmsterdamView attachment 316209

View attachment 316214View attachment 316215View attachment 316216View attachment 316217

Typical Results
View attachment 316210View attachment 316211View attachment 316212View attachment 316213

I have made a tactic similar, after looking to your questions and will test it today and see if i can get possession, CCCs and good defense. Pray :D

1st 4 games won, but not having more possession than 60% but never below 50 %. Still working.

Last edited:
Back