Too Many Signings!

• Thread starter Thread starter iDood
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3K

iDood

Reaction score
Continue reading for long story. Skip to bottom for shorter, less boring story (questions).

Ok. I've just been promoted to the Premiership, playing as Crystal Palace. I have a budget of £10.5 million to spend. I have found numerous recommendations, and now I am stuck.

Centre-Backs:
Firstly, I need a new centre-back. I have Jose Fonte and Olexandr Chyzhov, but I think that one to replace Fonte might be a good idea, especially as I have no back-up!

Full-Backs:
My right-back position is set, I have Davide Santon, having signed him at the beginning of the first season. My left-back position does seem slightly weak though. I have Clint Hill, whilst effective in the Championship, he's aging, and he won't do the same job.

Centre-Mids (not really a problem!):
At centre-mid, I have plenty of options; Ben Watson, Franco Zuculini, Thiago (Barcelona youngster), and Bartosz Salamon. I think I'm okay there.

Wide Men:
On either side, I have the likes of Victor Moses and Sean Scannell coming up through the ranks, but they look like they will take a while to improve. I have signed Pablo Piatti to play down the left-hand side, which means probably selling Nick Carle, as I have nowhere else to play him. My big problem is the right-hand side. I have John Oster, who did a great job last season, but I do not think he will cut it in the top flight, and so I need a replacement. The likes of Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic, the two new Man Utd lads are tempting, but I have a lot of options up front, which I will tell you about now.

Strikers:
Last season I signed Macauley Chrisantus, who was distinctly average. I think he needs time to mature and improve, and I am being told by my Assistant Manager that he could be a leading Premiership striker. I also added Vaclav Kadlec to the squad, he came in on a free, and he has great potential too, but he is only sixteen. My two more experienced players up top are Alan Lee and Adriano (Porto, signed for £180k). Alan Lee is not good enough for the Premiership, hands down. Adriano, however, scored 25 goals in the league last year, and his value has flown to £2.5 million. I offered him to other teams, because there was interest, for £5 million, and I have had offers from Wigan and Hull (I think). If I sell these two, I am left with two hopeless strikers, right? Well, I have the opportunity to bring in Marquinhos and Keirrison, but they are a fortune. Palmeiras want £22.5 million for Marquinhos, and I can afford him if I pay in monthly installments. Coritiba want £9.75 million for Keirrison, and I can afford him too, paying the same way. If I offload some of my current squad for decent money, then I can probably afford both of them, but the question is, are they worth it?

Questions!!!:

Overwhelmed with options, I have come to my fellow mangers for advice, and so I have several questions:

1) Who should I sign as a centre-back? (Preferably someone around 24-28.)

2) Left-back? (Youngster would be nice.)

3) Right-wing? (Pacey please! ;) Was considering Matias Fernandez, your thoughts?)

4) Strikers? (Are Marquinhos, Keirrison, and possibly Robert Lewandowski the men for the job?)

5) If you agree that I should sign Marquinhos and Keirrison, are they worth that money? (£22.5 million and £9.75 million respectively).

Much appreciated guys!

it is important to have a good back 4 but i would spend the money on 2 world class goalscorers

no matter how good your defence is your still going to let in like 1-2 goals a game(your in the best league in the world!), if you are 1-2 goals down you will need a good strike force to get your back into the game:)

spend all your money on strikers, then try to buy some defenders on a free.

Keirrison is a good buy, just try to get any1 who can get you goals.

Last edited:
Lewandowski scored 23 goals in my first premeirship season as Derby and his goals did the most part of keeping me from relegation. In January he attracted interest from Liverpool and Valencia but I managed to hang onto him. He's a good striker and if he hasn't moved to a new club yet you should be able to get him for around £1.2-2m.

As for center backs I have no idea, I couldn't attract a decent enough player for that position so I had to stick with what I had. Jo Mattock should be available for around £4m and is a solid left back.

The most important thing to remember when on a tight budget is defenders don't win games!
Your biggest problem might be attracting the decent talent.
You need to go for young quick strikers who have good stats for finishing, composure, first touch, and technique.

Try Alberto Paloschi of Parma
he's cheapish, quick and will match Keirrison's stats for finishing and he is a much more rounded player and 2 years younger at 18 (depending on what year your up to in the game) passing not brill, but, he is a striker.
Should be able to get him for £1-2 mill, maybe a bit more with incentives as he's co-owned.
Don't worry about the future too much because as your rep increases you'll be able to attract better talent.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I was having trouble with accessing the site this morning, so I have only just picked up your thoughts, having already started the season. I went ahead with signing Marquinhos, although, for some reason the initial fee was £11 million, instead of the agreed £5 million.. any ideas as to why this might be? I also signed Adem Ljajic for £3.7 million, and he's arriving in January. As far as I am concerned, having only played one game this season, things are going well. It was a tough start, with the first game at home to Liverpool. The game swung each way continuously, I ended up losing 5-3. Good things are that the goals came from my magicians, Marquinhos and Adriano (2), and I also know where I went wrong. The bad thing is that where I went wrong was that I made a suicidal mistake with the formation. Never mind, three goals against Liverpool isn't a bad feat!

So thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep you posted on progress if you wish, and just out of interest, did you read all the stuff before the questions too? :P

Cheers guys, I was having trouble with accessing the site this morning, so I have only just picked up your thoughts, having already started the season. I went ahead with signing Marquinhos, although, for some reason the initial fee was £11 million, instead of the agreed £5 million.. any ideas as to why this might be? I also signed Adem Ljajic for £3.7 million, and he's arriving in January. As far as I am concerned, having only played one game this season, things are going well. It was a tough start, with the first game at home to Liverpool. The game swung each way continuously, I ended up losing 5-3. Good things are that the goals came from my magicians, Marquinhos and Adriano (2), and I also know where I went wrong. The bad thing is that where I went wrong was that I made a suicidal mistake with the formation. Never mind, three goals against Liverpool isn't a bad feat!

So thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep you posted on progress if you wish, and just out of interest, did you read all the stuff before the questions too? :P

yh i had the same problem loading up the site, and i did read it all;)

Thanks Gatid! How's your game with Palace going?

i got promotion aswell stopped tho been playing ps3 gran theft auto 4:)

Last edited:
if you still need any help getting strikers P.Pogrebyak (plays for zenit) and he been an legend for me at Aston Villa. You can blag him for about 2.5mil (i got him for 2.3mil in my league and it was saying he worth about 4.9mil)

Though that was in my first season (i play with my housemate so goes slow at times) you still might able to get him if he your lucky and have the money.

Lee Wallace or Rapnik of Hearts would fill your left back area. Two very promising youngsters in the game.

if you still need any help getting strikers P.Pogrebyak (plays for zenit) and he been an legend for me at Aston Villa. You can blag him for about 2.5mil (i got him for 2.3mil in my league and it was saying he worth about 4.9mil)

Though that was in my first season (i play with my housemate so goes slow at times) you still might able to get him if he your lucky and have the money.

Pogrebnyak has moved to AZ Alkmaar, do you think I would be able to get the same deal if he's there? He's now valued at £3.9 million!

Pogrebnyak has moved to AZ Alkmaar, do you think I would be able to get the same deal if he's there? He's now valued at £3.9 million!

All i can say is you dont know until you try! :D

Continue reading for long story. Skip to bottom for shorter, less boring story (questions).

Ok. I've just been promoted to the Premiership, playing as Crystal Palace. I have a budget of £10.5 million to spend. I have found numerous recommendations, and now I am stuck.

Centre-Backs:
Firstly, I need a new centre-back. I have Jose Fonte and Olexandr Chyzhov, but I think that one to replace Fonte might be a good idea, especially as I have no back-up!

Full-Backs:
My right-back position is set, I have Davide Santon, having signed him at the beginning of the first season. My left-back position does seem slightly weak though. I have Clint Hill, whilst effective in the Championship, he's aging, and he won't do the same job.

Centre-Mids (not really a problem!):
At centre-mid, I have plenty of options; Ben Watson, Franco Zuculini, Thiago (Barcelona youngster), and Bartosz Salamon. I think I'm okay there.

Wide Men:
On either side, I have the likes of Victor Moses and Sean Scannell coming up through the ranks, but they look like they will take a while to improve. I have signed Pablo Piatti to play down the left-hand side, which means probably selling Nick Carle, as I have nowhere else to play him. My big problem is the right-hand side. I have John Oster, who did a great job last season, but I do not think he will cut it in the top flight, and so I need a replacement. The likes of Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic, the two new Man Utd lads are tempting, but I have a lot of options up front, which I will tell you about now.

Strikers:
Last season I signed Macauley Chrisantus, who was distinctly average. I think he needs time to mature and improve, and I am being told by my Assistant Manager that he could be a leading Premiership striker. I also added Vaclav Kadlec to the squad, he came in on a free, and he has great potential too, but he is only sixteen. My two more experienced players up top are Alan Lee and Adriano (Porto, signed for £180k). Alan Lee is not good enough for the Premiership, hands down. Adriano, however, scored 25 goals in the league last year, and his value has flown to £2.5 million. I offered him to other teams, because there was interest, for £5 million, and I have had offers from Wigan and Hull (I think). If I sell these two, I am left with two hopeless strikers, right? Well, I have the opportunity to bring in Marquinhos and Keirrison, but they are a fortune. Palmeiras want £22.5 million for Marquinhos, and I can afford him if I pay in monthly installments. Coritiba want £9.75 million for Keirrison, and I can afford him too, paying the same way. If I offload some of my current squad for decent money, then I can probably afford both of them, but the question is, are they worth it?

Questions!!!:

Overwhelmed with options, I have come to my fellow mangers for advice, and so I have several questions:

1) Who should I sign as a centre-back? (Preferably someone around 24-28.)

2) Left-back? (Youngster would be nice.)

3) Right-wing? (Pacey please! ;) Was considering Matias Fernandez, your thoughts?)

4) Strikers? (Are Marquinhos, Keirrison, and possibly Robert Lewandowski the men for the job?)

5) If you agree that I should sign Marquinhos and Keirrison, are they worth that money? (£22.5 million and £9.75 million respectively).

Much appreciated guys!

What season are you in?

If the second, then Lugano is a capable CB and on a free. Bojan gets released from Barca as well.

Mattock for LB is quite cheap, and very young. Warnock or Edman are quite cheap and will do a job as well.

I got Marquinhos for £15m. Have only had him for one season so probably too early to tell but I'd certainly say he was worth that. Does he not have escape clause at about £15m?

Also I got Saviola for £2.1m and he might do a decent job for you.

I'm out cash now mate, Bojan went to Ajax, rejected me... Lugano got a new contract with Fenerbahce, and to be honest, I hadn't thought about a left-back. Thing is, my computer crashed, so I was back in the preseason, and I chose to sign Keirrison instead for £11 million, and I've got to say, he's the nuts. He's scored 7 in 10, with 3 assists. I also signed Thiago Silva at the back. I'm broke, and in 10th place after 11 games. I have to say the money was worth it!

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

What season are you in?

I got Marquinhos for £15m. Have only had him for one season so probably too early to tell but I'd certainly say he was worth that. Does he not have escape clause at about £15m?

He may do, but I have no clue as to how I am able to activate release clauses! Do you know? :)

He may do, but I have no clue as to how I am able to activate release clauses! Do you know? :)

If you view his transfer/personal page you will see reference to an escape clause *if* he has one. Also once you hit make and offer, there will be a note at the bottom saying so. If you offer exactly the sum of the escape clause the selling club have to accept your offer.

Thanks Dee.

I've finished the first season, finishing 12th. I am in serious need of a left-back, but the man I was after, Joe Mattock, has recently gone to Everton. Ideas? I also need a new right midfielder, and possibly another striker to parter Keirrison up top. Thoughts would be much appreciated!

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Budget of £22 million by the way! :D

bale, vagras, taiwo and for a partner for kierrison try cardozo, vela, paloschi, laurito

Back