samtara

Reaction score
I know this may sound a bit ridiculous but does anyone have any idea for the settings you would use to play total football in fm09 i.e. fast flowing football with plently of through balls on the ground and basically having each player in a free role. If you need to see it in action watch a few videos of the 1974 dutch team. They all cover for each other and most players are at least competent in most positions. It does sound like a big ask in a game like fm, but I just wanted to know whether it's possible and if anyone has had any luck with it.

if you want plenty of through balls keep the passing short/direct but probs short passing because direct can prove to be quite wasteful because sometimes your defenders just bootitdown field losing which can be wasteful quick tempo with high metaility focusing on attacking and set your playmaker to do through balls all the time.

not sure on every1 having a 'free role' because if you do that when you play the big teams your team are going to crumbe and fall down and die since most of them are trying their own stuff and running out of position and when that happens the big teams
are going to kill you when your team loses the ball..

you should only give max two players a free role your playmaker and someone else..interchanging on the other-hand is quite annoying because you gotta keep switching players in games which can waste time and its only effective if your wingers are high quality..so i wouldnt interchange.

I know this may sound a bit ridiculous but does anyone have any idea for the settings you would use to play total football in fm09 i.e. fast flowing football with plently of through balls on the ground and basically having each player in a free role. If you need to see it in action watch a few videos of the 1974 dutch team. They all cover for each other and most players are at least competent in most positions. It does sound like a big ask in a game like fm, but I just wanted to know whether it's possible and if anyone has had any luck with it.
If you download the TT&F tactics the Ajax total football tactic is on there.