EthanFM

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION

So I wanted to share with you the three tactics I am currently using in my save and hope to get your opinions. In my opinion they are all plug and play formations, but used at the right time these should give you unbeaten seasons.

A bit of background: I am Man Utd. I used Knap's 4-2-3-1 and and Knap's Journeyman 3-4-2-1 for some time and obviously they are amazing, you can plug and play and it works great. However I got bored. I found that no matter what I did, I was losing stupid games away from home, to teams like Watford, Southampton, Sunderland etc. I also lost in the Europa League to a team I had never even heard of before and this is where I drew the line. When I went back and had a look, the tactics used against me were always sit deep and counter, so I decided to try and do something about this.

Thus, my triple threat tactic was born.

View attachment 84779

I take no responsibility for the home tactic, it is a complete copy of Knap's 4-2-3-1. This creates amazing football with big teams, you dominate possession and I beat the likes of Tottenham 7-0. For me it is the most exciting tactic I have played on FM17. Make sure you check this out whether you use the triple threat or not.

CUP/UNDERDOG TACTIC: KNAP's JOURNEYMAN 3-4-2-1

DOWNLOAD THE TACTIC:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ebb9...p103_0400ebc9-5916-40cd-8ea3-a1313feb4d05.fmf

View attachment 84777

Next is my Cup Tactic which again I can't take responsibility for, it is Knap's Journeyman 3-4-2-1. When I play away to Barcelona in the champions league, for example, I would employ this tactic. Any team who you expect to dominate you away from home, especially in Europe, play this formation. I call this the cup tactic because I (as Man Utd) only ever get dominated in the cups, but if you play with a weaker team you may find yourself using this tactic more often!

Finally is my away tactic. This tactic took me a lot of time to tweak, but uses TFF's V14 Demolisher + Striker (which produced amazing away results) and Knap's 4-2-3-1 formation. Essentially I tested a tactic with Man Utd in which I lost as few away games all season in the Prem as possible. As this is my tactic tweaking pre-existing, I have attached my results with it when I went on holiday with Man Utd. This itself could be plug and play and 101 points is not shabby, but I like using it away only, it keeps goals conceded down and goals scored up!

TRAINING

View attachment 84769
I train using this for the entire season in my save files and it works wonders, but I know a lot of you like to switch during the season. If I did that, I would move the scheduling slider down to 'one from the far right' and I would change my main focus to 'Attacking Movement'.

SUMMARY
I hope some of you find this useful. My suggestions for when to use each is just a guide, please try it out and let me know what you think. As mentioned, I am Man Utd so for me my away tactic works, but as it opens up defensive teams it may not work if you are the underdog and teams attack you, which is when I would play the 3-4-2-1 (as I would experience only against the big teams in Europe).

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Sir,it seems something broke here,cant download tactics...

Really, when I click them they open up a download. I will try and upload them on mediafire.

EDIT: I have added the MediaFire files - let me know if that works.

Last edited:
We need more threads like this. One tactic might work wonders for one season but next season opposition will work it out and setup to nullify you accordingly, particularly side lower in the table than you. I really like the idea of 3 tactics that are loosely built around each other.

I've got something similar with my Leverkusen save, but its less about Home/Away and more about what the opposition is setup like (eg if they don't have a AMC I push my Ball Winning DM into the CM position with the same role). Then using Stinger for away games to Bayern. Working well for me so far.

Thanks for the kind words! I personally like changing tactics, keeps it fresh :D

Any opposition instructions? I'm keen on trying these.

You can pretty much do what you like. I sometimes remember to leave OI's empty and that works fine, you can also use the common Weaker foot for wingbacks, wide midfielders and wide wingers with close down on strikers, but I often just ask my asssitant...

Essentially no, do as you please and let me know how it goes!