Trotting to the top: Kevin Davies at Bolton Wanderers

Reaction score
View attachment 990608View attachment 206850

Bolton have moved to replace Neil Lennon with former player Kevin Davies.

Davies, who made over 350 appearance for The Trotters between 2003 and 2013, has no previous management experience but has recently completed his coaching badges and is said to be very excited to be given the opportunity to manage one of his favourite clubs.

"I’m really glad the board have decided to give me this chance. I've been concerned (with the club) for a while. From when I was last here it's gone a bit sterile, the fans don't feel part of the club any more and it's just lost its soul. Hopefully, I can turn things round as there’s been a downward spiral since the club was relegated in 2012. I know we had a good spell under Big Sam with the league cup final and Europa League run, but I think his management was a bit short-sighted, I’ll be looking to give the kids a chance and get a solid foundation in for years to come.”

Bolton are said to be in dire straits financially, so the pressure will certainly be on Davies to assemble a squad capable of competing in the Championship…

First day in the job: Squad assessment and tactics

It's great to be back at Bolton. I never really wanted to leave in the first place, and I definitely didn't think I'd be back so soon. But things haven't been working out on the pitch lately, and Phil Gartside says I was the first name he thought of after they sacked Neil Lennon. Can't wait to get stuck in properly.

I've had a good look through the squad on our first day in training, and it's a pretty mixed bag at the moment. There are some great kids coming into the first team, and we've got some really experienced heads in there too, though I'm pretty sure their best days are behind them and can't see Heskey and Ameobi getting many full 90 minutes.

Key Players

View attachment 206596
David Wheater

I'm a big believer in building from the back, and that you can't start playing the free-flowing football I like without having a solid defence first. I played with David for a few years and he's been unlucky with injuries because he's an absolute rock at the back. He's 6'5" and he's a real leader despite only still being 27. I'll think about making him captain and hopefully he can stay fit for the season because we're going to need him.

Josh has always looked like a real talent, and I'm made up he finally broke into the first team properly last season. I'll be using him as a box-to-box midfielder- he's got bags of energy and although his main technical strength is his tackling I could see him making some late bursts into the box and chipping in with a few goals too. He's just 21 and I really think he could go on to play internationally, and I'll be doing everything I can to make sure he's still at Bolton when he does.

View attachment 206582
Wellington Silva

This kid looks like the real deal. I should be thankful that Neil Lennon brought him in before he left- once he got his work permit there was a real fight between clubs to get him in on loan. His technique and dribbling skills are astronomical, i've not seen skills like it since I played with Jay-Jay Okocha. I think the fans are going to love him, he's got the ability to make something from nothing, and I can't wait to see him charging in with the ball from out wide.

View attachment 206574
Zach Clough
Zach was so patient waiting for his chance in the first team, and he took it with both hands last year scoring 5 in his first 8 games. I'll be looking to him to be the focal point of our attack- he's got great attributes for a false 9 type striker with good passing, vision and some dribbling too. He's only a little guy, and although he's not the fastest he reminds me of a young Michael Owen. Hopefully he can score as many as he did...

Tactics

You might find it hard to believe after the kind of player I was, but I love attractive passing football and I'll be looking to make this side the best at that in the league. It might take some time as we're not the most technical squad at the moment, but I've got the lads practicing these tactics intensely along with their pre season fitness regime.

This is how we'll line up when everybody is fit, unless some fringe players can win me over in preseason.

View attachment 206567View attachment 206568

Last edited: