• Thread starter Thread starter Gabbalala
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2K

Gabbalala

Reaction score
View attachment 105888
True Underdog Story | San Marino

The national team of San Marino have never endured much success in their entire existence. The closest the minnows have ever come to even feeling that was when they recorded their first ever win AND only win to this date against
Liechtenstein back in April 2004. San Marino's first ever match was a 4-0 defeat against Switzerland in 1990 and since that date, they have only ever avoided defeat five times, most recently being against Estonia in qualification for the 2016 European Championships.

Being the general 'whipping boys' of Europe sees the San Marinese hold quite a few records as you would expect. Germany managed to ship 13 goals past them as they recorded the biggest win in a European Championship match whilst conceding 10+ goals is something San Marino have managed a total of five times. However, San Marino did hold a positive record of their own dating back to a match against England from 1993 in which Davide Gaultieri scored the fastest ever World Cup goal of all time clocked at a remarkable 8.3 seconds after kick off; England later went on to win the game 7-1. The Gaultieri record stood for almost 23 years before Christian Benteke broke it against Gibraltar in 2016 after just 7.0 seconds.

Situated =200th in the Fifa World rankings, San Marino are not expected to trouble anyone. 94% of the squad called up for their last match were registered as being part-time footballers with just one player playing his trade for a professional club, it's hard to see where San Marino can progress to and with the help of whom. Andy Selva could be calling an end to his international career, which saw him net a record eight times for the San Marinese, just before his 41st birthday which would leave a huge gap to fill upfront for the part timers as the 2018 World Cup Qualifiers beckon.

True Underdog Story | San Marino | 2016 Results

150px-Federazione_Sammarinese_Giuoco_Calcio.svg.png

True Underdog Story | San Marino

7dfe2295b8cf9580088322dd2b7d64c7.png

With San Marino previously conceding thirteen goals in one game, a total of sixteen goals being let in over the course of 2016 could be seen as a steep in the right direction for the European minnows. The first game of the year was a friendly match against Georgia which looked to be heading to a draw before a red card and a penalty turned the tide as the San Marinese fell to a 0-2 defeat. A different formation was then set up for WCQ games against Azerbaijan, Norway and Germany. The scorelines in all the games were kept to a respectable level with San Marino have chances and shots on goal in all three of the matches. San Marino even shared some dominance in their games against Norway as they notched up 45% of the total possession in the game, vastly improving on their usual amount.

The last two games of the month saw both a WCQ game and a friendly feature San Marino. SM managed to match their 'best' result of the year with two 2-0 defeats, the first of which being a home game in Seravalle. The final game of the year against Belarus saw San Marino earn 50% of the possession but only 3 shots with many in the media calling for them to play more aggressive in 2017 and lead a more positive tactic and line-up going into their next set of WCQ and friendly fixtures.

Top Goalscorer: N/A
Top Assist Maker: N/A
San Marinese Player of the Year: Elia Benedettini -
https://i.gyazo.com/da5763265baa3427b5d2ce3b59cbee88.png
San Marinese Young Player of the Year: Elia Benedettini - https://i.gyazo.com/da5763265baa3427b5d2ce3b59cbee88.png

Good Luck with this mate, should be a great story!

Good Luck with this mate, should be a great story!

Thank you, it means alot! :)

Also, if anybody knows how to do a link as a bit of text then please let me know, I wanted to put the link in my last update as the name but couldn't figure out how to do it on this site! :)

If anybody wants any other screenshots, let me know! :)

Thank you, it means alot! :)

Also, if anybody knows how to do a link as a bit of text then please let me know, I wanted to put the link in my last update as the name but couldn't figure out how to do it on this site! :)

If anybody wants any other screenshots, let me know! :)

You can use "link" option at reply tool. It should be fifth icon from the right - earth with chain link icon.

How on earth can this be done with any success without controlling and growing the club?

How on earth can this be done with any success without controlling and growing the club?

I'm not really bothered about success but I've changed the database so the club teams in San Marino can have players who get citizenship after 3 years. It's just so it becomes more in line with the other nations in the game.

I'm not really bothered about success but I've changed the database so the club teams in San Marino can have players who get citizenship after 3 years. It's just so it becomes more in line with the other nations in the game.

I am pretty sure you can make it one year and still won't have much success with the national team. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you don't get fired before you even try to get started.

Back