NonLeagueHero

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm long time reader of this forum but a first time poster...thought I would try my hand at doing a story for a change.

I've decided to take on Truro City because I'm widely told that it is the hardest starting job in the European leagues, red rag to a bull then.

I knew what to expect from the initial phase, having read enough of these in the past. No money, very few players and an embargo to boot. The team itself is made up of, by the looks of it, some handy enough players with plenty of options up front and in central midfield. Everywhere else it is paper thin and in defence, non-existent. Within a week it has been taken over, embargo lifted and I can sign players again, wehay!

Except I can't can I? This confused me at first as I'd been sucked in by the positivity from the clubs new (old) owner Kevin Heaney, no, the club was still in administration. With nothing more for it I signed up all my greyed out players and started the preparation for the new season - I have to admit I'm far from confident.

Tactics

Seeing as any talk of transfers is going to be pointless I thought I would introduce my tactics first up. I like to play a high pressing game, attacking from start to finish 4-4-2 formation. This has worked for me across different nations and standards so is as close to a one size fits all policy as you can get.

I have two back-up formations, a high pressing 4-1-4-1 formation against sides playing with a man in the hole, and my trial formation: a wide, counter-attacking 4-3-2-1 formation using inside forwards. The latter is quite a technical one so is likely to be suicide given the quality of players I'm starting with.

View attachment 418795

The basic premise of the formation is to disrupt the opponent and attack at speed down the flanks. It will be interesting to see how it stands up without any players that have been signed to specifically fit into it. My main concern is my defence will not have the required pace to play such a high line, as a result I may need to rethink.

I will try to post the file for the formation once I've tweaked it to suit Truro.

The season starts with vengeance now, I will try and post at the end of each session depending on time. So the updates could be monthly, weekly or 6 monthly when the missus goes out shopping at the weekend!

Game 1: Billericay 1 Truro City 3
Great start to the season! Against the odds we managed to pick up 3 valuable points thanks to an early penalty and 2 goals in 2 minutes at the start of the second half. I was able to keep Billericay at arm’s length with 5 of their 9 shots coming from well outside the box and wide on the flanks. By contrast all of my 5 shots were within the 18-yard box. A tactical success but it remains to be seen how I get on against the better sides. On the downside I lost experienced striker Barry Hayles for 3 weeks.

The good news to follow this result was the club restructuring its debt. I can finally sign players!

Game 2: Truro City 1 Havant & Waterlooville 2
A much harder game, against a good side with a strong midfield. After a good first half it all went to complete pot in the second. A terrible back pass saw us go 1 down before losing 2 key players to injury. A second goal on the break followed and the game looked beyond us. A late consolation goal helped the goal difference but we were never in the running for the points in the second half.

I may be able to sign players but I have no ****** money for wages. So I need to look for non-contract deals and loans for the moment. In other words, kids, my ranks are now swelled by seven 16 year olds. I’m particularly pleased by the signing of Myles Anderson on loan from Exeter though, easily BS Prem standard full-back/centre-back.

Game 3: Truro City 0 Salisbury 0
Despite swelling my ranks I was still crippled by injuries leaving me with 1 striker and 2 midfielders. Fortunately my defensive reinforcements meant I could shove full backs in on the wings and my one fit winger up front. 10 minutes in and I’d lost my one fit striker so I resorted to defending the point, bringing on a centre back and going 5-4-1 hoping to get something on the break. Just past the hour I lost my makeshift striker too, with only defenders on the bench the technical term for my predicament was “screwed”. A third injury saw me end the game with nine defenders on the pitch but a solid performance earned the point. I now faced the real possibility of 4 games without any strikers though!

With just two days until the next game I made a frantic effort to get some forwards in on loan but without success. The temptation is there to play Craig Leveins famous 4-6-0 formation for the next game!

Game 4: Weston SM 4 Truro City 1
This game was going to make grim watching, 12 minutes in and 2-0 down I feared the worst. My makeshift midfield and frontline briefly made a game of it but a second half capitulation saw us fall to a disappointing defeat. On the plus side I made no enforced changes for the first game this season.

Just what you need, the league leaders…I fear the late arrival of a young striker and midfielder will not help me out much at all here.

Game 5: Truro City 1 Boreham Wood 1
After the disappointment of the last two games this was a huge improvement with a proper midfield and only one makeshift striker the formation looked infinitely more solid. As it was my makeshift striker, Les Afful, gave me an early lead and but for a late equaliser we would have hung on for the points. Nevertheless, Boreham Wood dropped points for the first time this season so I must be pleased.

After 5 games:
Position 16th​ F: 6 A: 8 Pts: 5

I’m now reasonably happy with my squad, with enough cover in most areas to see me through although I’m going to be keeping my eyes peeled for an experienced defender. The transfers leave me with a squad that is an odd mix between veterans, established players and complete rookies. I’m always keen to buy young and train up so hopefully some of these young lads will come good. A quick look over the comparison reports highlights starkly my deficiencies in defence; all the attributes other than tackling and acceleration are in the bottom 3. Something I will need to work on.

Tactically I’ve not altered my formation all too greatly; it had previously been set up for the Finnish 2nd​ tier so the quality difference is not too great. If I can get my strikers fit and keep them fit then I’m becoming confident of a half decent season this year. Big decisions will need to be made about player wages though and I foresee a number leaving in the New Year.

Players In

Graham Parkinson DR/L 16 Free
Louis Beech DC/L 16 Free
Lee Mitchell DR/L 16 Free
Tony Jackson MR/L 16 Free
Paul Halstead GK 16 Free
Myles Anderson DL/C 22 Loan Exeter
Steve Harris DC 20 Free
Leung Yat Hei DM 16 Free
Regan Etherington ML 16 Free
Savvas Skarvelis ST 16 Free

Game 6: Basingstoke 4 Truro City 1

Basingstoke are ensconced firmly in the drop zone at the moment and short of form, but my players are running on empty so the fitness issues could level things up on the confidence fronts. I’ve rotated in defence and midfield where possible but I’m still playing with the makeshift front line. Basingstoke soon show why they are in the drop zone, missing an open goal before inexplicably a defender passes into his own net under no pressure. I’m then the master of my own downfall with three loose passes resulting in three easy finishes. The players battle on manfully but the damage is done and a fourth on the break undoes all the good work we did against Boreham Wood.

Very little tinkering to be done at this stage, so I just keep on looking for loanees to no avail.

Game 7: Maidenhead 2 Truro City 3

Another 6 pointer and the first time I’ve had a proper team out in a while, 10 minutes in and the returning Stewart Yetton puts us 1 up, things get better just before the break as Yetton convert a penalty to put us into a commanding lead. Maidenhead yet to register a shot in anger. Within 30 seconds of the restart they pull one back though so I respond by switching to a more conservative style. Dreadful defending on the hour mark sees them level, bitterly disappointing. But fear not, Maidenhead only have three points for a reason, and in the 88th​ minute a quick break sees Afful fire in a cross with 5 Truro players unmarked, Andy Watkins slides home at the near post. Get out of jail free!

A week off gives me time to rest some players, finally some normality will be returning to the starting line ups. I’ve also started looking for some new coaching staff to help keep the players in tip top condition.

Game 8: Truro City 0 Bromley 2

Unchanged for the first time this season I go into this game confident of putting up a good fight against mid table Bromley. HT and it is 0-0, nothing and I mean nothing has happened. Bad marking from a corner though sees me fall behind and frankly it is all downhill from there. Despite having 10 shots to 4 I lose 2-0 without their keeper having to make a save.

Despite my Jekyll and Hyde form I’m reluctant to tinker with the tactics at the moment. The players are still awkward with the formation so I need to show some patience and keep motivating the players. As long as I can keep morale up and work on reducing the wage bill I should be in a better position by Christmas.

FAC 2nd​ Qualifying Round: Truro City 2 Concord Rangers 1

Who? Despite the FA Cup being regional at this stage poor old Concord face a 300 mile trip from east of London to face me… Money is on the line though and there will be no player rotation for this one. After a poor first half and a dressing down at the break we finally get going in the second half and goals from Joe Broad and Jake Ash see us into a comfortable lead. A late consolation for Concord but in truth there was only one winner once we got started.

The third round draw sees me score Met Police at home, another 300 mile round trip and an easier tie than I could have hoped for. ?4.5k in the bank, more at stake!

Game 9: Chelmsford 1 Truro City 0

Oh dear. 90 seconds in and an under hit pass from my keeper sees Jamie Slabber gifted a goal. And to be honest that was the only chance of the game, if I could hit my keeper I would do for that disastrous start.

Game 10: Truro City 1 Bath 1

Mid table and defensively strong this was always going to be a challenge. I’m let down early on by yet another defensive error costing me a goal, but in Louis Beech’s defence he makes amends with a thunderous header from a corner ten minutes later. The second half is cagey affair with only good chance being smothered by a good save from the Bath keeper. Nevertheless a point earned and minus the errors the defence is beginning to look OK.

After 10 Games:
Position: 19th​ F: 11 A: 18 Pts: 9

FAC 3rd​Qualifying Round: Truro City 2 Met Police 3

Disaster.Man for man we play terribly and twice equalise in the last few minutes only tothrow it away each time. Needless to say I’m furious.

Game 11: Truro City 1 Dover0

Well,it isn’t pretty, that is for certain. In a game of few chances and fine marginswe get the all-important goal on the stroke of half time. A good cross fromAfful is missed by everyone, but Etherington is on hand at the far post to tapin. The second half is uneventful save for a disallowed goal each but we holdon for a much needed win and clean sheet.

I’vedecided to use this positive result to look into my wage budget, despite mybest efforts I remain over ?1,000 a week over my budget. When I look into I’mfrankly astounded to see that almost my entire wage budget is spent on 9players some of whom have flattered to deceive this season. However, a quickscout around shows that I wouldn’t be able to replace them if I ship them out.That means that for the moment I’m stuck with them. Needless to say I won’t bekeeping many of them come the end of the season.

Game 12: Eastleigh 0 Truro City 0

Although Eastleigh are challenging for the playoffs they are only 5 points better off than me, the congested nature of the league makes each win and loss so much more important. As for the game, nothing happened. No highlights, no shots on target, nada, zip, zero. But another clean sheet and a point is better than a kick in the face.

Game 13: Truro City 2 Sutton Utd 0

A real relegation 6 pointer here, Sutton one place and one goal above us should be there for the taking but with an experienced squad full of ex-football league stars this will be no pushover. After the blank shutout last week this game is far more open with chance after chance going begging for both in the first 45. The law of averages finally gives and on the stroke of half time Afful scores before less than 90 seconds later feeding Yetton for his 5th​ of the season. Have we finally clicked?! The second half continues as in the first but now it is all Truro; attacking, making and missing chances. It ends 2-0 but I’m disappointed not to have at least equalled the first half goals.

After our good run I’m amazed to see us move into playoff contention. Just 4 points separate us from Dorchester in 5th​. Despite that we only move one place up to 17th​! Fine margins are defining this league at the moment; I’m 3 wins from second and 2 defeats from bottom. Unbelievable Jeff!

Game 14: Farnborough 1 Truro City 4

I’ve opted to shuffle my pack for this game, mid-table Farnborough will be tough but my eyes are fixed firmly on the eminently winnable game against Hornchurch that follows. I’m hoping that good morale and momentum will overcome the 5 changes and after a minute I’m rewarded as Broad fires me in front. On 3 minutes we’re level before Yetton restores my lead in the 5th​. A second for Broad moments before the break leaves me very happy. Early in the second Afful slips in the 4th​ to put me in a pretty much unassailable position. Despite not scoring special mention must go to the grandfather of the team, 40 year old Barry Hayles, who rolls back the years creating 3 of the 4 goals.

The win now sees us move into a secure mid table berth, 8 points from the danger zone and improves my goal difference to -1. In reward for these recent performances I get third place in the manager of the month award and the indomitable Joe Broad sweeps away with the player of the month. My target was a point a game, I’m now well above that.

Game 15: Truro City 3 Hornchurch 0

A potential banana skin here, but Joe Broad continues his good form by slamming me into the lead midway through the first. For the rest of the game I dominate both possession and territory but I don’t add to my lead until late on when two Yetton goals see the game safe. The three points move me to within a point of the play-offs. I couldn’t get promoted this season…could I?

After 15 Games:

Position: 8th​ F: 21 A: 19 Pts: 22

FA Trophy 3rd​ Qualifying Round Truro City 1 Eastleigh 2
As far as draws go this was one of the worst I could have got, a fellow BSS side and one in form at the top end of the league. A big blow prior to the game was the loss of centre back Ash for 2 months to a training injury. Falling behind early we fight back through Kieffer Moore only for another error to see us fall behind again. We grind away creating chances but they just won’t fall for us and our defensive mistakes have cost us dearly.

Game 16: Staines 1 Truro City 1
Staines Town are another struggling side and I’m looking to continue my good league form here. I opt to bring Hayles back up front but it is defensively where I am concerned. Staines make all the early running and a missed header gifts them the opening goal. Hayles repays my faith with an equaliser though and we go in level at the break, little happens in the second and the spoils are shared. A point earned on the day but a very poor performance.

Game 17: Eastbourne 0 Truro City 3
The games are coming thick and fast now, stretching my squad as I make 4 changes. Eastbourne line up with an odd 3-3-2-1-1 formation, something I’ve never seen before. Lots of space for my fullbacks in there, though. The wings prove fruitful at once, Afful crosses for Moore to finish. Despite this Eastbourne look more threatening and twice hit the woodwork, Yetton then scores on the break and a Cooke free-kick put the game to bed.

After the game I’m a little annoyed to discover that my keeper has picked up an injury, only out for 5 days but still enough for him to miss a game. 16 year old Paul Halstead will be between the sticks for the visit of Tonbridge.

Game 18: Truro City 2 Tonbridge Angels 0
The game starts at a ferocious pace with chances a plenty but it’s Truro who drew first blood. Full-back Hopkinson’s free-kick finding the top corner, swiftly followed by a Yetton goal. My debutant keeper spends the second half a spectator as we impressively choke the game in midfield and secure another win. Top spot just three points away now.

A midweek break beckons now for Truro ahead of a return trip to Boreham Wood who currently occupy third. The league remains tight at the top but the stragglers are starting to drop away at the foot of the table.

Game 19: Boreham Wood 0 Truro City 2
I don’t know what to think of this one, I got a point at home in bad form, how will I do away in good form? The game is scrappy from the outset but again, as in previous games, just as the opponents start to get on top we score, Broad in the first half followed by Yetton in the second.

Goal difference works against me and I actually drop a place to 5th​ thanks to Eastleigh’s 6-0 drubbing of Tonbridge but I move to within a point of league leaders Salisbury. As far as my early season concerns went I’m now 17 points from the drop zone, I think I may be safe.

Game 20: Truro City 1 Maidenhead 0
A chance for my first double of the season… This game pans out like trench warfare; neither side can get near each other so spends time taking pot shots from long range. Fortunately for us Etherington scores with our only shot on target, a dipping volley from the edge of the area. Both teams have efforts into the double figures but Maidenhead can only manage 3 on target each from long range free kicks.

The win sends me joint top, but Salisbury, Weston SM and Dorchester all have games in hand two points behind.

After 20 games:
Position: 2nd​ F: 30 A: 20 Pts: 35

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in trying out my formation please find it attached.

View attachment 417007

The formation is currently set up for lower leagues, so there is little creative freedom and the centre backs are limited defenders. The further up the leagues you go and the more talented players you get then the more freedom and responsibility you can give them.

I wouldn't say there is any real type of player that this formation needs to make it tick. It is mercifully self running, to get the most out of it though I've made a few notes that you might wish to consider.

Defence

Generally you are looking for the usual stats in the defenders, heading, tackling, marking, anticipation and concentration. The formation plays a high line so the faster defenders you can get the better they will be in this back line, higher ratings for off the ball and decisions are also worthy points.

Midfield

In central midfield the key thing to look for here other than the usual ratings are tackling and marking. Your midfield is your shield, taking pressure off the defence. This does mean that most M/AM C's are unsuitable though and this can impact on your creativity.

Wings

Pace, this is important here, the faster your wingers can get up and down the pitch to support either the full backs or the strikers the better.

Forwards

I've played around extensively with the front line and to be honest I've not found a partnership that doesn't work to a reasonable degree. If you have the players I would recommend playing a big man/little man combination with a complete forward and poacher setting. However, it is equally as effective playing either two CF's or two AF's, so set the player instructions to suit what you have and see what happens.

Tweaks

There are all sorts of tweaks to be made for this formation. If you are playing against better sides with AM's then sacrifice a striker in favour of an anchorman. If the wings are strong then set your wingers to support or as defensive wingers. Common sense stuff really.

Game 21: Salisbury 1 Truro City 3

After Salisbury’s midweek win this is now a 1st​ vs joint 2nd​ clash, I’m not confident! At half time it is goalless but it has been all Salisbury. It continues in the second and then, inevitably, completely against the run of play we go and score. Twice! Salisbury pull one back but Barry Hayles lands another sucker punch in stoppage time. 3 shots, 3 goals: clinical.

In the league we’re now unbeaten in 12 games, a new league record, but we now play the remaining teams in the top 4, Dorchester and Weston SM at home before a return trip to Dorchester on New Year’s Day. My unlikely promotion hunt could be made or it could be broken in just a few days’ time.

Game 22: Truro City 3 Dorchester 2

For the showpiece events that Boxing Day games are meant to be this is something of a non-event. We dominate possession throughout the game but for a long time I don’t look like scoring. Thankfully though we make the breakthrough, in fact scoring three times in quick succession, this should see the game safe but Dorchester launch a blistering come-back and a deserved point is only denied by a disallowed goal in stoppage time.

The victory comes at a cost though, both top scorer, Yetton, and chief creator, Afful, are ruled out for 5 weeks through injury. Their absence could prove costly.

Game 23: Truro City 2 Weston SM 0

Top versus second, and a chance for me to open up a four point lead at the summit. For a long time we don’t cope well with the enforced changes and hang on for dear life, losing Moore to injury at the break doesn’t help either. But we fight our way back into the game after the break and two scrappy goals late in the half secure us the hard earned points.

After my impressive run I, quite deservedly if I do say so myself, secure the manager of the month award – another feather in my cap!

Game 24: Dorchester 2 Truro City 3

After this tie I face 5 of the bottom 10 teams, so I will be happy for us to simply avoid defeat here. Although the same score this is anything but a copy of the reverse fixture, after exchanging early goals the game descends into end-to-end football. Once more we peg Dorchester back after they go in front before getting the odd goal late on to secure the points. Now 6 points clear at the summit promotion is beginning to look like a possibility.

Game 25: Welling 2 Truro City 2

A frustrating result after we had looked so comfortable in this game. After going behind to an absolute worldy from 30 yards we fought back and looked to be comfortably winning the game. Then for some unknown reason my left back decided that every time he got the ball he’d whack it downfield to their keeper. As a result we were put under more and more pressure before we finally cracked in the 88th​ minute. Surprise draws and defeats for the rest of the top five means we retain our 6 point lead at the summit.

After 25 games:

Position: 1st​ F: 43 A: 27 Pts: 48

Game 26: Truro City 2 Billericay 0

A straightforward win in a game we dominated. Centre back Beech and a hilarious own goal secure the points but the game is marred late on as my only fit right winger gets himself sent off for diving.

I’m still on the lookout for new players to bring in on loan or for youths to add. Unfortunately it is fruitless work, yielding nobody worth signing either temporarily or permanently. I’m not too concerned by this as our form remains impressive but I am anticipating a dip around the corner and I am keen to bring in reinforcements before that happens.

Game 27: Sutton Utd 1 Truro City 2

A poor performance all round but we somehow steal the points. Billy Tsolovos scores a wonderful freekick early on to put Sutton in front and Sutton contrive to miss a host of chances throughout the first half. Just as I’m preparing to go nuts at my players Jake Ash pops up with a timely equaliser from a corner, I’m still not happy with the performance though. The second half continues with Sutton on top but midway through the half the Sutton defence makes a hash of clearing a weak Hayles effort and the ball somehow goes in off a Sutton defender.

Game 28: Truro City 2 Chelmsford 0

A tough game today, although in the bottom half Chelmsford are the form team at the moment with 4 wins in 5. The game is a frightfully dull affair, the only highlights coming for two, edge-of-the-box free-kicks that Hopkinson delightfully despatches. On closer inspection one was given as an own goal from the keeper but remains a goal all the same!

Game 29: Hayes & Yeading 1 Truro City 1

With my scheduled game against Dover postponed I have an extra week of rest to prepare for this tie. For a long time it looks like this is where my unbeaten run ends, second best and trailing a first half goal the game is winding down when we strike back. Hutchinsons blocked cross falls to Yetton who calmly strokes the ball home. The game goes into the record books as the worst attended game of the season, just 34 people in attendance…poor them!

For the first time in quite a long time I’m chopping and changing based on form. Despite remaining unbeaten performances have been poor; remember that drop that I was on about before? This is it; I’ve been unable to add to the ranks so I need to address it with the players I’ve got.

Game 30: Dover 1 Truro City 1

This game starts where the others have left of; we dominate the ball but don’t ever look like doing anything remotely threatening with it. Steve Adams then comes up with an absolute worldy on the stroke of half time to put us in the lead and it looks to be seeing us through. That is until the 90th​ minute when Dover equalise despite 4 players being offside, without doubt the worst decision I’ve seen on the game!

After 30 Games:

Position: 1st​ F: 51 A: 30 Pts: 59

I’m now at the midway point of what I’d identified as a pretty easy run of games, from a possible 6 points I’ve accrued just 2.

Game 31: Truro City 1 Staines 1

Another game, another bad performance, another draw. We scrape an early goal through Ash but within five minutes have squandered the lead. And that is as good as it gets, 8 shots, 1 on target…the boys get a right going over on the full time whistle. Had this been the start of the season I’d have been happy with this result!

Game 32: Bath 2 Truro City 5

What a game! Where the last three had been drab and disappointing this one had everything, packed into the first half. After 20 minutes we had seen 5 goals, Truro twice going in front and twice being pegged back. When we went in front a third time we stayed there, Yetton rounded off a hat-trick in the closing stages of the half and in the second we just played the game out. Back to winning ways with a bang!

In midweek I finally manage to add reinforcements to my ranks, midfielder Karl Baker and striker Ash Yeoman making the short trip down the English Riviera from Torquay for the rest of the season.

Game 33: Truro City 4 Hayes & Yeading 1

This game was far closer than the result implies, every stat was roughly equal, the only difference was that we scored when they missed. Overall I’m happy with the performance from the team and the results elsewhere fall in our favour so we restore our 6 point lead at the top.

We’re now an impressive 24 games unbeaten, something that I would have never anticipated at the start of the season.

Game 34: Bromley 2 Truro City 2

The reverse of this fixture was notable for me playing without any strikers, I’m looking forward to seeing how we do with some strikers available this time! Well, I wouldn’t have been disappointed with a defeat here. 2-0 down and down to ten men early on we played brilliantly pushing our way back into the game. We got lucky with a late penalty but it was no less than we deserved.

Game 35: Truro City 2 Eastleigh 2

This game starts terribly, a long punt down field sees neither centre back react but the Eastleigh striker rounds the keeper for a tap in. Les Afful equalises just before the break but the performance has been sub-standard. Stearman puts us into an undeserved lead but we are soon pegged back again. Our lead at the top has now been slashed to just 3 points.

After 35 Games:

Position: 1st​ F: 65 A: 38 Pts: 68

Game 36: Truro City 0 Welling 2

Well, it had to end eventually. In truth we’ve played much worse in games and won but this is the culmination of our bad for in recent games. We dominate possession and territory but defensively we crumble.

Two games in three days now, this could test my squad as our form falters.

Game 37: Havant & Waterlooville 2 Truro City 3

To say we play badly in this game is an understatement. Havant pepper my goal with 14 efforts but only have the two goals to show for it. Somehow we manage to get 4 shots away and three of them find the net. Some lucky points earned there.

Game 38: Truro City 0 Basingstoke 1

I need no invitation to make wholesale changes for this game. If I could replace my entire backline I would but throughout the squad I have to settle for 8 changes. They don’t work. We are awful. Truly awful. Not one player earns his wage. No efforts on target, no corners all that despite 75% possession.

We now only top the league on goal difference and the injuries to my midfield mean I have no way of changing things. I can see the season slipping from my grasp as the bad form continues. Bottom of the table Eastbourne next and I have no confidence in the team to get a result.

Game 39: Truro City 2 Eastbourne 1

This is one of those games that title winners look back on and say is the sign of a good team. We don’t play well, we don’t threaten Eastbourne half as much as we should but goals from Yetton and Cooke secure some unlikely points. We maintain our goal difference lead at the top as Boreham Wood beat title rivals Dorchester.

Game 40: Hornchurch 1 Truro City 2

Thankfully it is another relegation zone side that I face now as I look to start to develop a good run in the closing stages. We fall behind to an early goal from a corner and I fear the worst, but Jake Ash equalises with our only shot of the first half. The second half is dreadful, until the 88th​ minute we only muster two more efforts on goal but then in the 88th​ minute up pops Hayles to scrape an undeserved victory.

After 40 Games:

Position: 1st​ F: 72 A: 45 Pts: 77

Game 41: Truro City 3 Farnborough 1

We dash into an early lead through Beech but lax defending sees Farnborough level. For a long time it looks like we are going to squander another good opportunity but late goals from Yetton and Hayles secure the points.
Boreham Wood don’t do me any favours with two late strikes of their own, so the title goes down to the final day. We play Tonbridge whislt Boreham Wood face Havant, of the two Tonbridge are in worse form so I am quietly confident, all we need to do is match Boreham Woods result.

Game 42: Tonbridge Angels 1 Truro City 4

What a start! Hopkinson with a free-kick 30 yards out and he curls in an absolute beauty. Under this pressure this is just what you want to see! Karl Baker then doubles my advantage with an excellent finish. A quick check on the scores elsewhere sees Boreham Wood losing, I’m happy at this stage to hand a debut to a 15 year old midfielder McCready. It proves to be a master stroke as he scores one and sets up another to see us win comfortably despite a late consolation.

End of season:

Position 1st​ F: 79 A: 47 Pts: 83

Star Man: Stewart Yetton, average rating 7.55, 22 goals, 11 assists

So there we are, that is the season. So is it really the most challenging job in the Football Manager world? No, not really. It is an incredibly difficult start, probably the hardest in the game, but after that it is fairly straightforward. Why? Because the spine of the team is as good as any in the league. As long as you can add sufficient quality around the edges then you are on to a winner. If you can get rid of Watts and Martin early to free up some wages for you to spend on any future transfers then I would strongly recommend you do so.

The players I would look out for are the 16 year old regens that appear at the start of the game. Get them in on trial, scout them, whatever. They have enough talent to play around your core players and some may even come good.
So there we are, there ends my tale. I’m not going to track the performance through the leagues, simply because there are so many others on here! Adieu and goodbye.