Try This - THE KING IS DEAD CHALLENGE

PsychoSpike

Reaction score
They've been the Kings of English football for too long now, honours, success, money and trophies. Do you have what it takes to change all this? Decades of success gone in a matter of hours? Can you destroy the fortunes of the world's most successful club. Can you compete with the likes of Dean Saunders, Darren Ferguson or Alex McLeish in making clubs free fall and nose-dive out of the league? Then you're the ideal person to undertake....

THE KING IS DEAD CHALLENGE

The aim:- To get Manchester United relegated (Alot harder than you may think but is really good fun as a second game save)

Rules:-
  • You MUST start the game as Man Utd and ONLY manage them once from July 7th - December 1st
  • You can promote/demote, release, sell or buy any players you wish or that the board will let you
  • If you are not sacked by December 1st you must resign from the club and take the first Lg2 and above job available
  • Once in a new job aim to get as many teams in to the premier league as possible to push them out.

Tips:-

• Go bananas selling - sell you best first etc
  • Remember to 'buy' too to bankrupt the club quickly
  • Use stupid formations - Play CF's in goal, GK's in the top left of the pitch etc.
  • When in your new team use the money hack to make them stupidly rich £150m per time recommended!
  • Pick Championship teams when changing jobs for quicker impact and change jobs frequently after making them rich and buying some of the worlds best players.
  • When in a new job - don't buy Manchester United Players as this gives them more money
  • If anyone tries to buy their players when you're not managing Man Utd - make a ridiculous offer for that player and then offer them a contract but cancel the transfer at the last minute.
Put a screen shot up on here when it says 'Manchester United have been relegated' as the date will be your score.

My first go it took about 12 full seasons, but I've restarted with a new game and so far am 3 seasons in and Man Utd are 18th in the league.

In addition:- Can anyone beat this? I managed to get beaten by Manchester City 29-0!! After 10 goals Man City took off their 3 defenders and subbed them with 2x MF's and a CF! How disrespectful!
Tip:- I fielded 5 GK's all shoved up the other end and a 53% fit 16 yr old striker as the goalkeeper

Just have a go - some of the comments the fans and the boards feelings on your signings make will have you in stitches. With talk of requiring motivational speakers needed urgently for your team!!

Please feel free to add any good tips!
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Can't you just put all the players up front and lose every game?

Can't you just put all the players up front and lose every game?

well here's the thing - I tried this method and got the sack a few months in and as soon as a new manager comes in they just shoot back up the table. Also most opponents goals are offside.

It sounds like a really easy thing to do, get a club relegated but if you only have half a season to set it in place before leaving it becomes really really hard to do. Remember you have to either get the sack or resign by December 1st.

I find this challenge puts the fun back in what the money cheat takes out and means you can use the money cheat without feeling slightly bad for having given in to it.

A good strategy I use whilst managing Man Utd is:-

* Release as many as possible
* Make sure you leave them bankrupt with NO saleable players - offer new contracts to rubbish players paying wel over the odds so no one will want to buy them off you.
* Sign loads of GK's and promote GK's every few days from the reserve team
* For players who don't get offers ie RVP etc. Offer them as exchange for crappy goalkeepers etc.
* Play a weak striker from the reserves in your goal and fill the rest of the team with GK's in a 1-5-5 formation with one wide out sweeper to combat offside goals.

Last edited:
Not sure if this still works... it did in the cm days and early fm's, I know because I used to do it too Liverpool. :)
Set every player at the club to release on free and then immediately resign...must have been a bug because it would release everyone and obviously the board would usually reject but resigning straight away got round that.

You wouldn't have to do much to Liverpool nowadays to make them relegation candidates they seem pretty capable of getting themselves into trouble under their own steam!

Think they've wised up to it a bit - The board steps in on a lot of indispensable players when you click 'release' to block what they probably view as 'a mental moment' and protect the club. Also, if the compensation is too high to pay they will block it. You can offer players to other clubs for £0 though which the board seem unphased by but in some cases like RVP other clubs won't even touch him on a free cause of the wages so you have to really concentrate demeaning him in the press with negative interaction - play him in goal a few times, retrain as a GK. 100% intense training and soon if you offer him in exchange he'll accept national minimum wage just to get away from your **** management style!!!

ps - Apologies to any Man Utd fans who might take offence at this! It is only for a bit of fun and besides you've won 20 titles so am not really that sorry!

Last edited:
that's brilliant hahaha

Thanks!

My current effort has gone all awry though - even a bankrupt Man Utd with a team full of unknown GK's - 2 seasons on have just won the Premiership!!! Not happened to me before in this challenge. Something's going on I reckon or Guardiola is hiring the greatest players in the world for free.

well here's the thing - I tried this method and got the sack a few months in and as soon as a new manager comes in they just shoot back up the table. Also most opponents goals are offside.

It sounds like a really easy thing to do, get a club relegated but if you only have half a season to set it in place before leaving it becomes really really hard to do. Remember you have to either get the sack or resign by December 1st.

I find this challenge puts the fun back in what the money cheat takes out and means you can use the money cheat without feeling slightly bad for having given in to it.

A good strategy I use whilst managing Man Utd is:-

* Release as many as possible
* Make sure you leave them bankrupt with NO saleable players - offer new contracts to rubbish players paying wel over the odds so no one will want to buy them off you.
* Sign loads of GK's and promote GK's every few days from the reserve team
* For players who don't get offers ie RVP etc. Offer them as exchange for crappy goalkeepers etc.
* Play a weak striker from the reserves in your goal and fill the rest of the team with GK's in a 1-5-5 formation with one wide out sweeper to combat offside goals.

This is really easy! I just put all the players up front. My first 11 are all GKs. I managed to buy Casillas, Cech & Valdes & I always put them upfront. I was sacked on 1st November.

Just finished my first match doing this challenge. I have bought many non-league goalkeepers and played them up front, with one in defence to play the opposition onside. Fulham have beaten me 15-0.