SLSHOT01

Reaction score
Hey just looking for some advice on managing in the blue square south... I've now managed to get two sepparate clubs relegated from this division. I try focusing on bringing in decent players (with help of my scouts), the match prep area. Still my forwards go for 2000+ minute scoreless streaks, and my team gets slaughtered by everyone...

I generally play a 5-4-1 formation with a defensive mindset, but I'm still leaking 4 or 5 goals a game. all my defenders are in double digits in marking and tackling and my goalkeeper is ok.

-Shaun

i think that formation is your problem.... play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

get loan/free agent players

strikers- get someone with pace, one striker with good heading and one striker with strength

midfield - passing and creativity for one, good tackling for another

defenders - tackling and pace, tackling and strength

sorry i can't be specific with players i don't know any in non-league

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

i've never tried lower leagues but i know you have to start with the basics

Thanks, I'll try mixing it up a bit at forward. Been trying to not lose. Might as well go for it a bit. My only other issue that is frequent is conceding penalty kicks. I've tried backing it off on the pressing and tackling, and I had a good spell in the middle of the season where I didn't have against me, but I get these runs of 5 games where I concede at least one penalty kick. Is this impacted by certain stats? They always happen at the worst possible times in the game (namely right before the end of a half)

I use a standard 4-4-2 with an offside trap. Sign Jonathon Cole and Oliver Nicholas for a solid defensive partnership who'll last you till League 1 (speaking from experience).
1 holding CM and 1 more attacking CM should help. Strikers are never my strong point, but Ade Akinbiyi was impressive for me. Others have said that Ngo Baheng is a good striker for lower league football.
Aside from all that, at the end of your first season I'd try to snap up some young players who've been released by 'big' clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc.), along with loan players (if possible through an affliated club).

I'd just like to boast here that using this tactic I have been promoted 3 times on the spin, and I'm currently lying in 1st place in League 1 - ahead of QPR.

Last edited:
Offside trap is difficult for players to execute at this level. But I think you are being too defensive my advice would be to attack a bit more. with a rigid philosophy. but trust your judgement dont chop and change formations and players to often.

Ngo Baheng is a top class player, but I think he requestes a fair amount of wages for that league. Take a look at Ismael Fofana and Ben David Santos. Ben David is like 36 years old, but **** bang them in for fun in that league.

Your formation is whats killing you mate. In that league its a standard 4-4-2 all the way. I used 4-4-2 with AMR & AML wingers. Was very effective for me. That formation gained me 3 back to back promotions. Only problem was I leeked goals, but I scored alot more aswell.

I recommned using the 'Il Devasto' tactic. Its worked wonders for many a people on this forum.

Hope this helps mate.

Hey guys I appreciate the help. I was opperating with the 5 defenders after reading somewhere else on here that small teams should only field two forwards in a game they think they can win. Switched things up and after a few games I won three on the trot for the first time in this division. Of course I then lost 3-1 to Salisbury town... but I'm not expecting consistency at this level. Just happy to be losing by 4 or 5 a game to everyone. Appreciate the help! Anyone got the link for the "Il Devasto" tactic?

Noel-Williams is a name thats been thrown about in BSP, tho duno if **** go any further below

I got Noel-Williams for Chelmsford but he seems to get injured quite a bit

Well now that I'm a few years in, regens are more useful. Thank you though for the tactical advice! It has really done wonders for my Kingstonian side!

try playing 5-3-2 until u start wining some matches. the lowest league i played was Russian Second division, and using teh 5-3-2 formation, i went form 18th to 3rd in teh end of the season.

GOOD ACHIVEMENT.

i also used this when i managed R. ireland, while doyle and Robbie where there. i lost games, but not by 4 goals at least.

Yeah I switched to a 4-4-2 with AM's on the left and right. Used my assistant coach's knowledge to sign some nice dutch youngsters. I still find it amusing that taking away one defender made my defense that much better, but I guess it was just too crowded back there. Plus with the attackers having the ball more on the other side of the field, the other team has less time to score on me. Certainly still losing games, but I don't mind that at all. Just happy to be winning some too!

Got a backup formation of a 4-1-3-2 (4D-DM-LRCM-STST) which I use when I'm being a bit more cautious. Hasn't worked well though...

i agree with the 4 4 2 using AML and AMR. try setting the wingers to inside forwards, as this increases the goalscoring potential of the team.

The in-game 'Asymetric' formation with combined with 'control' works great for me as a backup when I'm struggling for form. If you're getting hit a lot aswell a counter attacking strategy could help.

I have gotten woking up and am now almost in de Npwr 1.
go look at the good lower league players section.

Some examples

Shane Parris
Agboh
Pfennings (highly recommend this one, good in the air, scores a lot of headers)