Tuhinga o mua Waitakere (The rise of Waitakere)

• Thread starter LiamCFC88
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 783
L

LiamCFC88

View attachment 48570

Waitakere United - The rise of Oceania

Waitakere United were founded in 2004, they play their football in the New Zealand Premier Division having been there since their inception. The club last won the league in 2012/13 and have won it a total of 5 times. Waitakere have also won the New Zealand Charity Cup as well as the Oceanic Champions League on 2 occasions in 2007 and 2008.

The club play their matches in the 7,000 seater Trust Stadium

View attachment 48566

Since then Waitakere have never seemed to come close to those heights again with them and football as a whole in New Zealand remaining stagnant. This was emphasized by another failed attempt of the New Zealand national team in their attempts to qualify for Russia 2018 ultimately leaving football in New Zealand virtually unheard of the the rest of the world.

The League:

The league consists of 10 teams, each play one another twice in a season.
The top 4 enter a playoff system to determine the league winner.
Of the original league table however the top 2 automatically qualify to the Oceanic Champions League group stages.

Rules and Objectives
I aim to bring success to New Zealand and Waitakere on and International stage but to improve both aspects in one i can, this should help me as i aim to take over the national team at some stage.
- only sign players with NZ nationality.
-Only sign players under the age of 25

The first season is expected to be used to solidify my team and learn more about the league, hopefully we can push for continental qualification but i dont see a pressure to achieve this in the first season.

Hoping to update every second day at the least as the season has less games than most leagues allowing me to make quick progress.

*Disclaimer - I am not a great fm player, just enjoy playing as a unique team to try something a bit different. This could go really badly

View attachment 48563

Tactics/Key Players

After having a very brief look at the squad, i have set up my initial tactic (much room for adjustment) whilst singling out three players who i believe can make a difference this season.

"ma te pupuri i te ngawari"
Keeping it simple

View attachment 48562

We will begin with a 4-3-3 of sorts. The players aren't of any real quality and therefore we are going for a basic formation with basic instructions in order to limit any confusion keeping it a simple tactic to learn for the players.
As the season progresses expect to see changes to this but until i have seen more of the squad i think it is best to keep it simple to see how they go.

View attachment 48561

Julyan Collet - CB

Collet is an exceptional central defender for this level who i expect to be a mainstay in the team this season. At 28 i expect him to have 2-3 years at least playing for us unless development goes quicker than planned.

View attachment 48560

Jake Butler - CM

For this level he is a top quality CM and will be our captain this season. He is very well rounded an still has a few years in him especially due to the division we play in.

View attachment 48559

Nicholas Zambrano - ST

This player needs some work. His composure is poor but again for this level he has decent pace matched with outstanding finishing and a superb first touch meaning he should cause problems against defenses this season.

I will do an update post pre season followed by a mid season update and then an end of season report. Will follow that structure until in the Oceanic champions league.

As an expat Brit in NZ I am going to follow this one!

View attachment 48317

Pre Season

There is an extended pre season in NZ in comparison to a normal league structure with the league beginning after the transfer window closes on October 17th.

Waitakere have played 12 friendlies losing two and winning 7 with a particularly good run towards the end of these matches. This pre season has given me an good idea of our strengths and weaknesses so hopefully i find away to use this information and better the side going into our opening league games.

View attachment 48316

Following our pre season the league predictions came in, we are expected to finish 8th of 10 teams which doesn't fill me with confidence although i feel mst squads are pretty similar so i hope we can finish higher than this.

View attachment 48315

As mentioned in earlier posts the resources in this league is nothing compared to the major leagues in world football which is where we are aiming to go. This is summed up by the lack of money spent in the window and by the lack of a fan base shown in the season ticket sales. Hopefully over time this will grow and we can improve the financial structure of the league.

View attachment 48314View attachment 48313

Next Update - First half of season