Turning a small club's finances around

• Thread starter Thread starter cromabu11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 6K

cromabu11

Reaction score
Anyone have tips for getting a club's finances back on track?

I'm Stevenage in League 2 and the club is making a loss every month, with it's financial status slowly but surely on it's way to becoming 'insecure'.

So far my plan entails:

1) Selling top wage-earners for the best price I can get.

2) Selling/ letting contracts expire for those who's wages don't justify their ability.

3) Packing pre-season with friendlies against top clubs (devastating for morale, but a good source of income)

4) Trying to sign as many good free transfers/young players with potential as possible, so I can sell them down the line at a nice profit.

Is this pretty much all I can do? :S Any financial success stories for lower clubs greatly appreciated ! :)

dont use all your wage on one player
make sure you strenghten each position well so you dont have to buy loads of backups

Have you tried Pre Season Friendly Cups and Leagues? They worked wonders for me when I was Corby. You can usually attract big clubs as well which bring you in a lot of revenue (I was getting teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to play in a Friendly league, only paying them 24k each and getting back 350k!) If you play enough as well, you make loads. I managed to make 2 mill before, but the only problem is fitness if you play too many too quickly.

EDIT: Just read it through properly and seen that youre already doing this, so scrap my advice ;)

Last edited:
Have you tried Pre Season Friendly Cups and Leagues? They worked wonders for me when I was Corby. You can usually attract big clubs as well which bring you in a lot of revenue (I was getting teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to play in a Friendly league, only paying them 24k each and getting back 350k!) If you play enough as well, you make loads. I managed to make 2 mill before, but the only problem is fitness if you play too many too quickly.

EDIT: Just read it through properly and seen that youre already doing this, so scrap my advice ;)

You're grand, cheers for the info! 2 million is loads.... I haven't tried any friendly tournaments yet just single friendlies. Is it possible to play friendlies against top teams during the season? I'm in preseason at the moment but i'll try it out once the season starts.

Friendlies are by far the best option for improving your finances.

As a small club your players are generally cheap, wages arent high but their are the odd few players who hammer your wage bill, sell them if they arent star players.

You can arrange friendlies against japanese top-clubs before and during the season, however it's probably best to arrange it with your reserve squad during the season. Also, you should look at bringing in alot of youths since it's 3 matches in 3 days and you'll want your first 11 to be fit.

You create a friendly league and choose 3 japanese clubs, they're pretty easy to get. If you can't get 3 then just take any other team in a non-active league. You'll usually get atleast 2 japanese teams. The matches get tv-coverage and depending on the size of your stadium, well, you'll make a decent profit in the end.

As for me? Well, let's just say that Aberystwyth of Wales is doing quite well for itself. Not yet contending with the likes of Manchester City financially, but well on the way!

I do however consider this a cheat, it makes the game ALOT easier. Not for the true LLaMas.

Think I'm going to be in the same spot in my petershill game. Looks like ill be getting promoted to the 1st division(hopefully).

Back