Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this attacking and possession based tactic that I have in my third season with Arsenal:
View attachment 432359
Ideally, I'd like a false 9 up-front, but I have Benteke and Mitrovic, so I thought setting them as target men with the 'support' option would allow them to drop off and provide a passing option in the final third to help retain possession. Given their aerial prowess, I've also gone for 'float crosses' to exploit their height.

Defensively, I have 3 very mobile centre-backs (Dede, Doria, and Balanta), so I've opted for a defensive line which pushes 'higher up'....I wasn't sure whether perhaps I should opt for pushing very high up or not? My centre-backs are quick, and I already play an offside trap because of my high defensive line, but I fear I might get caught out away from home against very quick strikers.
In-line with this, I've also instructed my team to 'hassle opponents', since I figure high pressing is necessary with a high defensive line.

And I've selected options like 'work ball into the box', 'play out of defence', 'lower tempo' and 'retain possession' as a means of encouraging my team to slowly move the ball around, keeping possession and waiting for the best opportunity to play a more adventurous ball.

Again, I'm not sure if I should have opted for something like 'much lower tempo' in order to encourage possession football, or whether doing so would make my team far too cautious and limit (?)

I'm also not sure whether there are any other options I should choose like play narrow - some seem to suggest this is best for possession football - or exploit the middle (?)

I feel like my system makes sense to me, but I failed horribly the last time I tried a possession-based system, so any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Pink_German_Beds