conclusions about tactics, from others and mine...

matox13

Banned
Reaction score
i made a couple of conclusions regarding tactics in this game.

all my fm life, i loved to play the 4-5-1 with inside forwards and even a 4-2-3-1 with if and an att mid/treq
i think that everyone likes "football champagne"

but in this year version, football champagne with world class players leads to score, yes... but also leads to your opponents playing football champagne in your own half, and often you end losing

i remember in my first year of my monaco save, using a 4-5-1 and losing a match 7-5

this isnt tennis, and even if i'd won that game, i would be moaning. i dont like 4-3, 5-2 or this stuff... i like 3-0. this is the perfect result for me

playing a 4-4-2 seems to be more balanced, but without an att mid, you create little football, you play the Falcioni's style of Boca Juniors... Ball to the air, and see what happens... obviouly your goals will be most pizzas or crosses.

then, i gave born to my creature, first i thought on a formation that is strong defensively. took the falcioni idea of 2 lines of 4.

but gave every player individual instrucions to close down on almost same point of the slider... i wanted a team that get all together but the striker and the att mid, that sits a lil be upfield

results start to come more consintently, conceding dropped dramaticaly, 1-0 2-0 and 3-0 started to appear more often...

although some times i lost games 0-1 i never get scored more than twice with this tactic, and concede 2 were a very rare thing

won 3 champions leagues in a row... and with more talented players, like bale at left mid, or messi as att mid, i started to have more possesion on majority of matches

now im winning easily almost every match, due to the quality of my players, but when i had a more normal squad, my team still won despite in most matches dont having possession and being shot from far very much

so my conclusion is that a 4-4-1-1, or at least mine, is far better with middle ranked teams, with top teams, you wont win by 5-0 every match, but ull concede very little... and i like that

FM13 was made to Falcioni's or Bilardo's more than for Guardiolas... and pushing very upfield with defense in this game, appears to be just suicidal... or at least to conceding more than acceptable

for mid table teams it seems that death of inside forwards came!!!

note: Falcioni is the Boca Juniors manager, that suits perfectly to Boca Juniors style... that basically consisted in throwing crosses to Palermo, like Bianchi did in the Boca golden Era. also they used Riquelme to hide the ball from opponents and play a slow tempo...

im a River fan, like the football champagne, but i admire something of Falcioni or Bianchi, when their teams are winning, the game is over. and if you go all out attack against them, they just smash the ball outfield to his only attacking player and you're ******

I agree with your statement here, It's hard to free flowing football going without being defensively solid, It's like you have to choose one of the other there is no middle, It's either Play for defence and grind out boring 1-0 2-0 wins or throw caution to the wind and play attacking football and it's more 2-1 or 3-2,

I prefer a defensive attitude which is what i employed in my tactic.

I use both your tactics, and i have would like to say something about them also.

MrHough's is my main tweaked tactic, changed the 3-2-3-1-1 to a 3-2-3-2, changed also the tempo to more fast and lately i'm considering the hard tackle option (changed that away against Utd and from a 3-1 i won in extra time 4-5. Used against Arsenal away with all team on hard and lost 3-1, but the anticipation worked better).

I didn't not consider the defense line much, but now that i saw what Matox13 wrote, i believe that that's the main problem with this ME. Despite having 3 CB, i still have forwards running like **** with T-balls, while i don't have many as they have. is it the defense line?

I agree that we all love a close down with high defense line to catch the ball in the opposition side of the pitch, but without star players like Barca, it's impossible!

On the other hand, regarding Matox13 tactic, i see that the team is more down on the field, and by that, not creating as much CCCs as i want, maybe because Aguero long shoot PPM ruins the game.

Just some notes:

- New players have a big impact on team cohesion
- Acceleration, position and anticipation is more important to CBs than pace and decisions
- Long passes are more hard to do
- Left/right foot more important than in 12
- Midfield anticipation, pressing and 1st touch are, imo, the key of 13's ME

Congratz on both for this great tactics

kun aguero long shots??? i hardly seen him shooting from distance, neither in independiente, atletico or city... i see messi shooting more often than him from outside the box

I think you will find that once the game is patched up, tactics will function as intended meaning that the conclusions will be drawn like in real life.

I think you will find that once the game is patched up, tactics will function as intended meaning that the conclusions will be drawn like in real life.

And when do you think that will be? Don't want to sound rude or anything like that, but we have to play until then, right?

kun aguero long shots??? i hardly seen him shooting from distance, neither in independiente, atletico or city... i see messi shooting more often than him from outside the box

Yap, i've put Cruyft taking that out of him, but he said that would be hard. Let's pray and hope :)

And when do you think that will be? Don't want to sound rude or anything like that, but we have to play until then, right?

Pretty much. It should be out before the month is over, I suspect mainly due to the number of bug reports submitted. And also due to "unconstructive" reports to Miles and SI via twitter and forums-some which are way overboard. As soon as we gauge an idea of when it's going to be out it'll be announced immediately

But people have to remember the coding process does take time as it has to be implemented and tested properly

Pretty much. It should be out before the month is over, I suspect mainly due to the number of bug reports submitted. And also due to "unconstructive" reports to Miles and SI via twitter and forums-some which are way overboard. As soon as we gauge an idea of when it's going to be out it'll be announced immediately

I have to repeat: Until then, we need to figure a way of winning, don't you agree?

Based on that, i also have to repeat:
"Just some notes:

- Acceleration, position and anticipation is more important to CBs than pace and decisions
- Midfield anticipation, pressing and 1st touch are, imo, the key of 13's ME"

I have to repeat: Until then, we need to figure a way of winning, don't you agree?

Based on that, i also have to repeat:
"Just some notes:

- Midfield anticipation, pressing and 1st touch are, imo, the key of 13's ME"

To be honest, I've adjusted those things myself. I do the training aspect myself. I increase/decrease team cohesion accordingly. When it comes to strategy/tactics I do everything via personal player instructions. IE GK passes to nearest defender. I have control mentality, but during matches I normally say to clear to flanks so I get the GK to pass to FB which always happens. If you leave training to coaches it depends on how good they are, but I prefer to do it myself. I like power lol.

But it also depends on players and how well they adapt to your instructions. When it comes to new players, I don't buy a lot at all, mainly on loan, but ones that have the same professional mentallity, and adaptabiltiy. Basically, I ensure they all have the same mentallity so there's no problems blending in. IE proffessionalism/determintation, which for me are key.

The players I have are all pretty much high anticipation, ball control, determination, teamwork...key attributes. And no problems admittedly. and it's pretty much worked out well. Yes I blew a 2-0 lead to Man City (I manage Blackburn) but that was my fault, I let them get too carefree. I ensure that they are focused, but also they control the ball, retain possession. The whole nine yards-I pretty much analyse every single thing.

To be honest, I've adjusted those things myself. I do the training aspect myself. I increase/decrease team cohesion accordingly. When it comes to strategy/tactics I do everything via personal player instructions. IE GK passes to nearest defender. I have control mentality, but during matches I normally say to clear to flanks so I get the GK to pass to FB which always happens. If you leave training to coaches it depends on how good they are, but I prefer to do it myself. I like power lol.

But it also depends on players and how well they adapt to your instructions. When it comes to new players, I don't buy a lot at all, mainly on loan, but ones that have the same professional mentallity, and adaptabiltiy. Basically, I ensure they all have the same mentallity so there's no problems blending in. IE proffessionalism/determintation, which for me are key.

The players I have are all pretty much high anticipation, ball control, determination, teamwork...key attributes. And no problems admittedly. and it's pretty much worked out well. Yes I blew a 2-0 lead to Man City (I manage Blackburn) but that was my fault, I let them get too carefree. I ensure that they are focused, but also they control the ball, retain possession. The whole nine yards-I pretty much analyse every single thing.

I see your point.

I look always for physical attributes 1st, like acceleration, pace, stamina, and mental like determination, anticipation, teamwork, decisions and composure. Only after that i will go to the technical ones. Like having 11 Ronaldos (in the physical aspect), 11 Giggs (Mental) and 11 Iniestas.

About the players getting my instructions, i'm with City, and im having the same problem that Villas Boas had last season in Chelsea IRL: i still don't have their respect, but i will, oh yes i will (6)!

That thing with the GK instructions. The mentality is defending and the pass is short. You just put down the flanks and defender as the receiver?

Finally, how do i get "Midfield anticipation, pressing and 1st touch" to, at least, keep opposition at bay?

I see your point.

I look always for physical attributes 1st, like acceleration, pace, stamina, and mental like determination, anticipation, teamwork, decisions and composure. Only after that i will go to the technical ones. Like having 11 Ronaldos (in the physical aspect), 11 Giggs (Mental) and 11 Iniestas.

About the players getting my instructions, i'm with City, and im having the same problem that Villas Boas had last season in Chelsea IRL: i still don't have their respect, but i will, oh yes i will (6)!

That thing with the GK instructions. The mentality is defending and the pass is short. You just put down the flanks and defender as the receiver?

Finally, how do i get "Midfield anticipation, pressing and 1st touch" to, at least, keep opposition at bay?

With the passing short to the FB etc, that just goes with possession mentality and retaining possesion match instruction. I use the clear ball to flanks as part of my strategy, as my crossing is the strongest point of my attack so I aim to get the ball to my wide attacking players as quickly as possible, which is tied in with my very quick tempo philosophy. When I keep the ball, I like to pass it quick so the opponents can't get to it-but I have the players who can do that. With this version, everything ties in with your idealogy.

It pretty much also ties in with the midfield. the players I have are on loan-like Motta. He has high creativity and decision making. Those sort of attributes contribute to the mentality.

I have Silva, Toure and Mountinho, which i think works pretty well, keeping it together, but i still don't see them being aggressive to the ball (not the player). tehy just keep tracking of the movement and don't try to steal it. The only time i see them more into the ball, is by putting them with hard tackling, which is not what i want

I have Silva, Toure and Mountinho, which i think works pretty well, keeping it together, but i still don't see them being aggressive to the ball (not the player). tehy just keep tracking of the movement and don't try to steal it. The only time i see them more into the ball, is by putting them with hard tackling, which is not what i want

Have to admit I never ever use hard tackling. cause I think the refs are on the opposing teams payroll lol. I make them track the players, close the players all over the pitch and show them on the weaker foot especially when shooting and crossing. But it depends on the entire squad.

It didn't work straight away as I had only just been promoted to the prem, but when you beat Spurs 2-1 and Everton 3-1 ( :'( ) then it's working. It's a case of getting the talks individually, with the instructions right. It's patience

Last edited:
Have to admit I never ever use hard tackling. cause I think the refs are on the opposing teams payroll lol. I make them track the players, close the players all over the pitch and show them on the weaker foot especially when shooting and crossing. But it depends on the entire squad.

In the OI, i put all team on weaker foot (even subs), all team close marking, all team under pressure, but i don't think it works, despite i'm feeling the opposite.

I don't ask much, i just want to start defending in front of the opp box, but i can't. It's ME, stupidity, mixture of both, God?

As a role model, i use the Benfica pressing game, which is not perfect, ofc, but it makes all team involved in all aspects of the game, having the midfielders a crucial part as they press like there's no tomorrow, and i can't duplicate that on the game. Is it lack of aggression?

In the OI, i put all team on weaker foot (even subs), all team close marking, all team under pressure, but i don't think it works, despite i'm feeling the opposite.

I don't ask much, i just want to start defending in front of the opp box, but i can't. It's ME, stupidity, mixture of both, God?

As a role model, i use the Benfica pressing game, which is not perfect, ofc, but it makes all team involved in all aspects of the game, having the midfielders a crucial part as they press like there's no tomorrow, and i can't duplicate that on the game. Is it lack of aggression?

the players I have that have low concentration I never have on close marking. did that and it was disastrous. Gave up a lot of fouls and needless freekicks (that led to goals conceded). The lower the concentration, the worse the marking. I do the hassling the opponent but combine that with stay on feet (as some of my players have poor tackling). It's case of balancing both. But I also use the pressing always, but only with players with good tackling attributes and good composure

the players I have that have low concentration I never have on close marking. did that and it was disastrous. Gave up a lot of fouls and needless freekicks (that led to goals conceded). The lower the concentration, the worse the marking. I do the hassling the opponent but combine that with stay on feet (as some of my players have poor tackling). It's case of balancing both. But I also use the pressing always, but only with players with good tackling attributes and good composure

Playing with zonal, how do you expect to know which player do the close marking?

Playing with zonal, how do you expect to know which player do the close marking?

The higher concentration levels the better the man marking skills. for example, I have Grant Hanley. In my save he has high concentration levels with good positioning coupled with good marking attributes so can man mark better

Last edited: