UFC 121 Lesnar vs Velasquez

thfc_09

Reaction score
Its a bit late but here you go-

Cain Velasquez upset the odds at UFC 121 in Anaheim, stopping Brock Lesnar in the first round to claim the heavyweight title.
Despite giving up more than 20lbs to his opponent, Velasquez overcame Lesnar in fine fashion to extend his unbeaten record to 9-0.
The man from San Jose also becomes the first fighter of Mexican descent to win a major heavyweight title in combat sports.
Former WWE wrestler Lesnar was gracious in defeat after losing for a second time inside the Octagon.
Great fighter

"I expected nothing less," he said. "He's a great fighter. What can I say? He was better than me tonight."
Velasquez had to weather an early storm from the champion, including two early takedowns, before quickly becoming the dominant fighter.
His precision punches left Lesnar's face bloodied and he then scored with a takedown of his own midway through an opening round that saw the majority of the crowd in the Honda Center standing on their feet.
Lesnar did make it back to his feet but was soon sent back to the canvas, this time face first after a succession of blows saw him lose his balance.
Another successful takedown, followed by a barrage of strikes, from Velasquez forced referee Herb Dean to step in and halt the bout 48 seconds from the end of the first.
Also on the main card, Matt Hamill got the better of Tito Ortiz to earn a unanimous points victory over his former mentor.
Dominated

Hamill got the nod 30-27 and 29-28 (twice) on the scorecards after using a steady ground and pound attack to dominate the man who trained him on the third series of 'The Ultimate Fighter'.
Ortiz - a former UFC light heavyweight champion - started well with strikes but was unable to match his rival's stand-up game. The defeat means he is still yet to taste victory since beating Ken Shamrock back in October 2006.
Meanwhile, Diego Sanchez proved his decision to move up to 170 lbs was the right one with an impressive display against Paulo Thiago.
Sanchez, who previously challenged for the lightweight title, broke a two-fight losing streak as the judges scored it 30-26, and 29-28 twice in his favour.
Jake Shields also marked his UFC debut with a split decision victory over Martin Kampmann, while rising heavyweight star Brendan Schaub defeated long-time contender Gabriel Gonzaga via three round unanimous decision.
Main card

Schaub defeated Gonzaga via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Hamill defeated Ortiz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27).
Sanchez defeated Thiago via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28).
Shields defeated Kampmann via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27).
Velasquez defeated Lesnar via TKO (Punches) at 4:12 of Round 1 to become the new UFC Heavyweight Champion.

Lovely Match
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1KEhBtpXm0"]YouTube - UFC 121 LESNAR VS VELASQUEZ FIGHT[/ame]

I watched this... Awesome fight, Velasquez is one hard *******!

Diego Sanchez v Paulo Thiago fight was great too

disappointed with the Ortiz/Hammil fight tho - Ortiz is a shadow of his former self and should retire

Velasquez beat him at his own game with the ground and pound ,massive surprise.

Not really a surprise...Brock does what he usually does...Flies out expecting to take his opponent to the ground and using his strength to overpower them...
Velasquez is a lot better technical fighter than Lesnar and I expected him to win comfortably... TBH Lesnar should of lost his last fight against Carwin but Carwin didn't pick his punches better than Velasquez did... My opinion...

And Trivaldo99 is right- that was a **** of a fight....

Should be in this thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f89/mma-t38156.html

But anyway, I watched this last night aswell. Wasn't shocked at all that Lesnar got TKO'd. Technically, Velasquez outclassed him, picking his punches to perfection unlike Shane Carwin previously.

Valesquez started off slowly but once he got Lesnar down, he didn't have the know how to work a way back up. Lesnar's lack of experience played a huge part, he's far to naive at this moment. He's still learning though and I'm sure he'll come back better.

Good fight, and a deserved win for Valesquez.

wasn't impressed with jake shields

wasn't impressed with jake shields

I agree, he looked dead on his feet at the end..Kampmann missed a huge oppurtunity by not staying on his feet in the 3rd..could of knocked him out if he had...

Good to see so many mma fanson here. Looking foward to Velasquez V dos Santos. Good to see anchez back to him old self.

Yeh was a awesome fight, i feel Brock joined the UFC way too late to be honest and it proved it last night he just isnt experienced enough to protect the belt against superior fighters like Cain. I honestly cant see anyone beating Cain Velasquez now whos unbeaten and holding the title what a beast.

Yeh that Diego Sanchez fight was great, loved the bit where hes screaming and throwing the guy onto the floor amazing.