Underdogs in World Cup

swappysnipes

Reaction score
I have being reading many threads and sport news and i found something interesting, its about which team is going to win next summer's world cup or are favorites to go further in the competition. It seems to me that most guys or football analyst are all talking about how England, Spain, France, Brazil, Italy, Argentina and the highest FIFA ranked teams to go further or probably win the competition.
U guys shouldn't forget that the world cup is been hosted on an African soil and that this time 6 African countries will be competing.
Well i want us to talk about the "underdogs" or the none favorites teams in the competition.
Underdogs emerge in every sport, at every level. They are the team that is not expected to win, but usually the team most loved by fans. The greatest upsets in football history make for some of the best stories about Underdogs. Read on for an account of some of the biggest upsets in Football tournament history.

1998 WORLD CUP.
1. (Group A match) Spain (2) vs Nigeria (3) - As favorites Spain were expected to have too much for Nigeria. But then the Africans showed Spain why the are force to reckon with. Nigeria won their first two games while Paraguay drew their first two games nil-nil, which meant that Nigeria were certain of qualifying in first place with a game to spare. In their final game, Spain got their only victory after scoring six against Bulgaria, but were still eliminated in third place after Paraguay beat Nigeria.

2002 WORLD CUP.
1. (Group A ) France (0) vs Senegal (1) - France were favorites going into this competition having won the previous world cup by beating Brazil 3-0 in the final. there was so much to be expected of them. The opening game saw Senegal pull off a stunning win over France in a game and group Senegal were expected to be the whooping boys in. Defending champions France were eliminated from Group A without scoring a goal after defeats to Denmark and debutant Senegal, who both progressed at the expense of two-time champions Uruguay. Senegal went ahead to reach the quarter finals of the competition.

2. (Group D ) - USA (3) vs Portugal (2) - The USA's shock 3-2 win over Portugal, together with a draw against South Korea was enough to send them through. Portugal were eliminated with one win and two losses, including one against South Korea. Poland were also eliminated, despite beating the USA in their final game.

3. (Knockout stage) South Korea (2) vs Italy (1) (a.e.t.) - I personally expect Italy whom were favorites to have too much for South Korea. But then i was disappointed as South Korea brush Italy aside by eliminating them from the competition. South Korea, beat Italy 2-1 in sudden-death extra time. South Korea's win ensured that, for the very first time in the Cup's history, teams from each of Europe, North America, South America, Africa, and Asia reached the quarter-finals of the same tournament.

4. (Knockout stage) Sweden (1) vs Senegal (2) (a.e.t.) - Again in a match that many predicted Sweden to win and progress further into the competition. Sweden and Senegal had a 1-1 match and it took a Golden goal from Henri Camara in extra time to settle the game and book Senegal a place in the quarter finals.

5. (Quarter Finals) Spain (0)(3) vs South Korea (0)(5) - (South Korea Win 5-3 on penalties) - South Korea got another win, beating Spain on penalties after a 0-0 draw in which the Spaniards twice thought they had scored, however the efforts were disallowed by the referee. The hosts became the first Asian team to reach the semi-finals of the World Cup, eclipsing the record of their North Korean counterparts when they reached the quarter-finals in 1966.

And finally Turkey continued their remarkable run, stopping Senegal's own with a 1-0 golden goal victory in the quarter finals. turkey went on to win third place in the competition.

2006 WORLD CUP.
1. (Group E) Czech Republic (0) vs Ghana (2)- In Group E, Tournament debutant Ghana caused one of the surprises of the tournament, as they joined Italy in the Round of 16, following victories over the Czech Republic who were ranked 2nd and the United States. Italy went through to the Round of 16 conceding just one goal (an own goal) in the group phase against the United States. The Americans bowed out of the tournament after disappointing results against the Czech Republic and Ghana, 0–3 and 1–2, respectively, despite a hugely encouraging 1–1 draw (with 9 vs 10 men) against the Azzurri.

Whether you root for the underdogs or the top dogs- you can’t disagree with the fact that the upsets that ensue when an underdog wins are exciting; and gives fans just that the more reason to watch!
:)

Last edited:
Haha! I know. what i m tryin to say is at least they will a force to reckon with.

Every team in the World Cup is a force to be reckoned with, there are going to be very few easy wins for the bigger teams...

If England don't win it, I'll be cheering for one of the African teams to do it.

Who doesn't like an underdog?

Everyone loves the underdog. Unless your team is playing them of course...

I would love North Korea to win it. I know England won't...

I'd love to see Ghana win it as I love Muntari ^^)

Yep. The real underdogs. ^^)

Dont want an African team to win it. They are only hosting it as a publicity stunt. South Africa has done nothing for wordl football.

That is really why everyone holds it though. To look better...

honduras, with the likes of hendry thomas maynor figueroa, wilson palacios and david suazo they can be a real threat this year

Maybe a threat up to the last 16. Can't see them going any further though...

honduras, with the likes of hendry thomas maynor figueroa, wilson palacios and david suazo they can be a real threat this year
Mmm yeah I suppose, but if Suazo and Palacios both get injured then they are kind of screwed, which is why other teams are more likely to get through groups, but I agree they can be a threat.

Back