MichaelDanger

Reaction score
Hey guys, relatively new to editor but a long time FM player.

Last week, I started playing with FM14 editor. Hours of work, and the mod worked fairly well. Then, my friend gifted me FM16 from Steam Sale. So I had to start from scratch. But i've come to run into a few issues.

So my plan is a 2 conference, 28 team MLS like I believe it'll soon become. I can get that from moving some teams around. Then I want to merge the NASL and USL to make two 20 team divisions with pro/rel. As I mentioned before, I had this system work before.

My issue is when I test the rules, nothing I seem to do fixes it. Here's the list of things that I'm stuck on.

-Obviously I listed MLS as the parent competition for the Western and Eastern conference. When I test the rules, it says the Western and Eastern aren't listed as a child cometition. I cannot for the life of me find the child competition link. I imagined it would be in advanced rules, but I can't go there with that error. Am I doing the conferences right? If I remember right, I just added the 8 extra teams to the current conferences and don't think it should've changed much. I searched for some sort of answer and the only result was a thread here who had no replies

-I took out the parent competitions to see what else I can work on. It gave me a prompt about the max/min number of teams. Three of the rules were for variations of the 3rd division, which I wasn't using anymore. I figured deleting them would be the best option. The others were that the minimum for my 2nd division was 20, and i had 0. Which is weird cause I most definitely had 20. The last leads me to my next issue.

-The final issue was the maximum for MLS is 20, and I had 28. The issue lies in the fact I can't edit the league any. Under the nation rules tab, the MLS only has 3 options, and they're greyed out. Normally it has some things listed like "playoffs", but I only have General, Dates, and Other.

Sorry if this is a lot, I'm still trying to learn. I feel like I'm pretty close to finishing, and actually playing the game, but just need some help.

Thank You!

Did you add the new MLS as 'division - contains sub divisions' the eastern and western should be down as 'domestic other division' in order for them to be in the list to be added as sub divisions.

Okay cool, that helps because I wasn't sure what to list the conferences as.

I deleted the rules, and wanted to try again. I think the majority of my problems came from hitting "adjust current divisions" instead of "start from scratch" I restarted and it seems to work better.

I went to make the MLS with 2 subdivisions, but it doesn't come up as an option with the "contains subdivisions" list. So I went in and checked the contains subdivisions option, and the only league it lets me add is Belgium's top division. I know that I could make the MLS with subdivisions from a separate league, but I wanted to keep the graphics and just adjust it after the fact.

Under the nation rules list, pick divisions and add, it should bring up the wizard with the options for ..

View attachment 1004493

thats where you pick the main comp. and then add the sub divisions. The MLS itself can be tricky due to the draft etc, you may need to replace it as the head division with a new division and rebuild from that.

Okay that's what I was afraid of, but seems easy enough, thank you.

Would the best option be listing all the teams under Major League Soccer, and also putting them in the West/East? Or something with a secondary division?

this also shouldn't effect the Concacaf champions league right? And I would just replace the "40" with whatever the league code is for the new league for logos, correct.

Sorry if this seems like so much! I've tried my best to resolve a week of problems and it's all coming out haha.

No, concacaf shouldn't be effected as long as you have a 'top division' and recreate the cups. Winners will auto qualify.

to use the same logos you will need to change the config file on your logos folder to the new league ID. but thats the last thing to do for now.

Thanks a bunch Wkd, it works really well as far as I can tell. The only issue is a handful of teams don't make the playoffs for my second division. Specifically several teams from the current USL for some reason. The old mod I wore down FM2014 on had this issue before, and can't remember how it got fixed.
View attachment 194233

Last edited:
I cant tell what the issue is from that? are the teams in white being skipped for playoff qualification?

Yeah sorry, I thought that was clear. The blue shaded teams would make the playoffs if it ended when I screenshotted that.

The playoffs are set up where the top 8 teams make a cup, but I just am not sure why those specific teams get skipped.

Do they have a different parent competiton set or anything? sim a full season and chec the full results.

Do they have a different parent competiton set or anything? sim a full season and chec the full results.

Yeah the first season I did, the Charlotte Independence missed the playoffs even though they finished 4th. Their parent competition should be the league they're in, except for the promoted teams who were in the 3rd tier in my editor data.

Are they classed a B teams? and exempt from promotion?

Yeah all the teams like "Timbers 2" are listed as B teams but the second division doesn't have either of those "B" promotion things checked. Which is weird cause the Charleston Battery aren't a B Team and still get skipped.

The main division sometimes has an option to stop b teams getting with in 2 divisions as well, check that. if not upload it and i'll have a look at the weekend.