Use of one-dimensional playmakers (e.g. Ozil)

NewMartian

Reaction score
I just can't do it. I normally have pretty attacking tactics so I am exposed a little bit at the back, yet my playmakers don't often contribute (normally the AP(support or attack) at the AMC position) and its either my midfielders, fullbacks or my inside forwards that get more assists.

Are there any tips you guys have that can help?

It all depends on what tactic you use, what your style of play is, what players you have, …

Is your AMC your only playmaker? Do you play with a targetman? Offensive backs? Wide? Trough balls? …

Roughly judging by the little I know about your tactic, you probably play a 4-2-3-1 with attacking full backs, and it that case your AMC will most likely be the man of the pre-assists, rather than the actual assists.
He opens up the play towards your inside forwards or full backs, and they deliver the assist for your striker (or inside forward at the far post). And frankly, there’s nothing wrong with that, as long as he’s performing decently.

Anyway, if you want him ‘more involved’ in the stats, delivering more assists himself, try ‘exploiting the middle’, and ask your striker/IF/MC to ‘move into channels’. If you want him to score more, put him on attacking duty and let him move into channels, shoot more often, ...

But again, it all depends on your tactic and the players in front and behind him.

Hope this helped a little.