Dicko1878

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of a target man, however I can't ever get a tactic to work with a lone target man striker. I currently have Harry Kane and a regen (see screen) that I'd like to use. Does anyone know of any tactics to get the best out of a target man?

View attachment 239524

Last edited:
Iv'e used a TM in plenty of my own created tactics but unfortunately in this years edition the TM seems to only support the players around him and not go for goals.

Iv'e even had TM players with strength over 18 and somehow they get muscled out by smaller weaker midfield and defense, they are so underrated imo

Iv'e used a TM in plenty of my own created tactics but unfortunately in this years edition the TM seems to only support the players around him and not go for goals.Iv'e even had TM players with strength over 18 and somehow they get muscled out by smaller weaker midfield and defense, they are so underrated imo
I'm using it ,with profit, it's not just about a target man, but all around him, I mean the way team play and the roles around him, I alternate a strong target man and a more creative player, which make more creativity but both have the same purpose...... Yiu should read the football manager guide, that has helped me a lot,now I'm enjoying the game and playing as I want and kicking the teams in the third league in italy with an average team

I'm a big fan of a target man, however I can't ever get a tactic to work with a lone target man striker. I currently have Harry Kane and a regen (see screen) that I'd like to use. Does anyone know of any tactics to get the best out of a target man?

View attachment 918970
Just build your own. If it isn't working, look to see why. Is he surrounded by defenders or lacking support etc.

I'm using it ,with profit, it's not just about a target man, but all around him, I mean the way team play and the roles around him, I alternate a strong target man and a more creative player, which make more creativity but both have the same purpose...... Yiu should read the football manager guide, that has helped me a lot,now I'm enjoying the game and playing as I want and kicking the teams in the third league in italy with an average team

Can you link to the guide please?

I'm using a downloaded tactic with Juventus and Mandzukic has over 20 goals which is 19 league from 25 games so he has not played all games available as I rotate the strikers but it gets the best out of him as a TM

I'm using a downloaded tactic with Juventus and Mandzukic has over 20 goals which is 19 league from 25 games so he has not played all games available as I rotate the strikers but it gets the best out of him as a TM

Could you link me the tactic please? I'd definitely love to give that a try.

Thanks for the replies so far btw guys

Could you link me the tactic please? I'd definitely love to give that a try.

Thanks for the replies so far btw guys
So not much of a discussion then?

Well, you can check out my guide if you wish. I don't use a target man anywhere, I use an adv. forward in counter and defend tactics that acts as target man with attack duty, or I use a DLFs with control fluid or flexible standard setup, that acts as target man on support duty. With the latter approach, the team will aim for his head, and he will try to win flick ons, and do knockdowns to other players, while with defend and counter tactics, he will be the main goalscorer, perhaps in a reverse big man-little man combo. Take your pick.

I find that target men are more effective when you play through the flanks and put in lots of crosses in the box (floated crosses and hit early crosses). More goals if you play him with a strike partner, so the combinations would be TM( A ) & DLF(S) or TM(S) & DLF ( A ) those are the combinations i usually use. I'm not a huge fan of a poacher but playing a target man in support role with poacher would seem like a sensible combination too.

Side note: Playing through the flanks doesn't always mean you have to set your team to play wider. For example if you play a 442 i find it more effective to use exploit flanks and play narrower, this allows your midfield to be more compact and makes up for the lack of numbers in midfield if you play against a 451.

Last edited:
I find that target men are more effective when you play through the flanks and put in lots of crosses in the box (floated crosses and hit early crosses). More goals if you play him with a strike partner, so the combinations would be TM( A ) & DLF(S) or TM(S) & DLF ( A ) those are the combinations i usually use. I'm not a huge fan of a poacher but playing a target man in support role with poacher would seem like a sensible combination too.

Side note: Playing through the flanks doesn't always mean you have to set your team to play wider. For example if you play a 442 i find it more effective to use exploit flanks and play narrower, this allows your midfield to be more compact and makes up for the lack of numbers in midfield if you play against a 451.

I've been toying with the exploit flanks and play narrower with the tactic I'm creating. My reasoning is that if I play narrower that'll mean the the opposition must come in narrower also, leaving room on the flanks to put crosses into the box.

Make sure you have players who have good enough passing and crossing to get it to him accurately.

I use a TM-A in a 4-3-3 Wide. He has 13 goals out of total 23 team goals. TM-A is supplemented by 2 IF-As (I had them as RM-A for a while). 3 MCs are CM-S, CM-D, and CM-S. (Standard mentality + Very Fluid)

So far, 23 team goals is tied for first in the league. I think TM-A is working fine in this FM15 edition. Or I am just lucky thus far, who knows. (I have a 1-40 Odds media predicted team so my team isn't anything special)

Update/Edit:
player, look at goal column
tactic

Last edited: