Valencia out for the season and Rooney below-par: What does this mean for Man Utd?

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 2K
I

iNickStuff

Please refrain from posting silly comments on this thread.

Regardless if you're a Man Utd fan or not, please, just don't post anything pointless on the thread.

No arguments, no 'This is stupid. The mods will close it' stuff. It's just voices of opinions between one's self and the FM-Base community.

If it is closed by the moderators, I am sure there is a valid reason for it.

------

Watching the Manchester United vs. Rangers match last night, with the ten changes made to the squad and the inclusion of four youngsters against the champions of Scotland made me think after the final whistle what this season beholds for Manchester United. I mean, are we even on the way to winning anything?

Now, when I say this, I am just voicing my opinion and what confuses me about how Manchester United are going this season.

The news that Antonio Valencia will not partake in United's campaign this season following the fracture and dislocation of his ankle, rocked not only me, but fellow Red Devils and ones who felt sympathetic towards the Ecuadorian winger, who was purchased from Wigan Athletic for a hefty £16million not long ago. With him out, this leaves options for oher wingers in the United set-up to prove their worth. One of the most notable would be Nani or Park Ji-Sung, the other being that Gabriel Obertan is deployed down the right whilst Nani is transferred over to the less favourable left wing, often utilised by veteraned United man, Ryan Giggs.

Who is going to replace Valencia - Obertan? Park? ... Bebe?

Or maybe Berbatov/Owen will start to be re-trained into a winger but have the ability to drift inside and make it a three-man attack; two if you make Rooney a defensive forward.

With such a lack of options down the wings, it can worry United fans who will step up to the plate in covering for the fallen player that is Valencia. Adding to that burden is that we are four months away from the January transfer window - not that it will be a favourable time for SAF, as his voices of content about the depth and quality in the squad was made during the time of which Manchester United were about to kick-start their season in a Community Shield tie against Chelsea at Wembley, going on to win 3-1.

------

With that came the becoming-usual anonymous performance given by Wayne Rooney in the match, who partnered with up-and-coming Mexican striker Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez in a 4-4-2 formation. It can be arguable that the England forward's starved service of through balls or crosses into the box is the reason why he is not scoring, but there is also the trouble of the off-field misdemeanours that have gotten in the way of his football - and it is evident.

His rampous campaign last season for United earnt him many accolades and was starting to become a huge star in the ranks of United, with people thinking that, with him out of the shadows of Cristiano Ronaldo, he would become a much more dangerous player, on and off the ball. But this season, and the hangover of England's abysmal World Cup run in the summer still in the mind of the former Everton striker, is it time to change ways?

The only playmakers that United can have to their name are Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick and Ryan Giggs. With that comes problems - Giggs and Scholes, with the fact that they are pretty much on their last legs when it comes to playing football, means that their absence next season calls in the need for replacements. Not only that but Carrick, who I think, has found himself out of place at United, may well be on his way out. Where does that leave United?

Fletcher is a box-to-box midfielder, sort of, Hargreaves is a seriously injury-prone midfielder, left out of the Premier League 25-man squad in preference of Anderson, who is also an injury-prone gung-ho kind of midfielder and Park, who can operate in the centre of midfield, is better on the wings, most notably as a defensive winger.

Where does it leave United in terms of options? Time to invest in a young playmaker? French leagues > Ligue 1 > Yoann Gourcuff, Eden Hazard > Miralem Pjanic ... ?

------

I don't know. Man United fans, post your opinions on the thread, non-Man Utd fans please do not post silly or pointless comments and moderators, if you feel that this is not thread-worthy, by all means close it down.

I just wanted opinions.

think people are reading way too much into this. nanai will play right wing (his favoured position) for the rest of the season. SAF has two eys on sundays game against liverpool, which is far more important than the rangers game. the group stages of the CL mean very little, its all bout just getting to the knockout stages.

as for replacing the players, the reason SAF has not spent money is because we are not as rich as we once were and he is oing to have to spend very big next season and the season after for 3-4 top class players (not speculation this is something has actually said). it is september. the season is barely started....

Park will play in Europe in Valencias place, and Obertan will get plenty of Premiership action i feel. Nani needs to really step up to be the supplier from wide now we have lost Antonio.

I do feel for valencia it looked like a bad injury and I hope he gets better soon :)

i think this is a huge blow to Man Utd Valencia had a excellent season last year and layed on so many goals for Rooney. I wouldn't read to much into the Rooney form becaue class is perminant form is temproary.

I agree with everything you said, Chelsea show no signs of stopping from last season and are best player is a shadow of his self and are best assister is out for the season, Will be happy with a top 3 finish and heavy investment next season, Its going to be a long and hard season ahead I feel

think people are reading way too much into this. nanai will play right wing (his favoured position) for the rest of the season. SAF has two eys on sundays game against liverpool, which is far more important than the rangers game. the group stages of the CL mean very little, its all bout just getting to the knockout stages.

as for replacing the players, the reason SAF has not spent money is because we are not as rich as we once were and he is oing to have to spend very big next season and the season after for 3-4 top class players (not speculation this is something has actually said). it is september. the season is barely started....

I'm not trying to jump the gun, I am just concerned about the long-run and how far we can really get this season. I am not dwelling on our 0-0 draw to Rangers, but I am thinking about the future in the sense of if we even get past the KO rounds.

Despite the lack of money available for SAF, there should be a chance for him to pull out a few million to invest in a capable playmaker. Scholes and Giggs are nearing retirement and Carrick is not really going to make much of an impact, so I just think that maybe getting a good playmaker, a winger or not, will benefit.

Park will play in Europe in Valencias place, and Obertan will get plenty of Premiership action i feel. Nani needs to really step up to be the supplier from wide now we have lost Antonio.

Yes, Nani does have to step up. If he can, all the criticism that was thrown at him in the past will slowly ebb away and, should he continue, then he will be a star winger for us.

Park, for me, can do for now, and then, should next season see a turnaround financially, then we can look into good wingers.

i fear this could be a huge blow, i think its something like 40% of United's goals have been created by Valencia alone over the last year (read that in a newspaper some time ago)

Rooney isn't performing, i wouldnt normally say this but if he continues with this poor run then i would drop him to the bench for a few games, the way Berbatov has started the season we wont be short of attacking quality and we still have a young Hernandez and Owen waiting for their chance.

i think this is a huge blow to Man Utd Valencia had a excellent season last year and layed on so many goals for Rooney. I wouldn't read to much into the Rooney form becaue class is perminant form is temproary.
in some ways it is, in some its not, yes he laid on about 10 goals for rooney, but our attacking last year was so one dimensional it became easy to defend against, hence 6 goaless games compared to 1 the season before, despite scoring more goals than at anytime in the last 5 seasons

Rooney will find form again soon in the same way Berbatov seems to have hit form at the moment just hope it isnt on Sunday. Of course losing Valencia is a blow for you but its time for Obertan and Nani to step it up. Just like to add i am sorry to see Valencia injured its never nice to see a player injured so badly regardless of who he plays for, Get well soon Valencia.

Last edited:
Well i can understand from where you are coming, but we are far from pressing panic button.

We made 10 changes and played second string squad as SAF felt Liverpool game is way bigger/important than first group game. We are already 4 points behind and we cannot afford to drop any more points. So he rested all his key players and gave fringe players and back from injury players some time on the pitch.

In players sale and buys, Carrick started well, we have seen how Berba has turned it around and i see no reason why cant Carrick who had excellent first 2-3 season with us. SAF said will spend when the veterans calls it a day, and due to squad limit thats the way to do it. We have some exciting talents in our ranks, and with few buys, present stars and mixture of youth we will be safe.

And Media always said ManUtd are on decline ever since Wenger won first league, but we all know where are we. This time its no different, winning and bringing some exciting talents is what we did, and we will continue to do so.

i fear this could be a huge blow, i think its something like 40% of United's goals have been created by Valencia alone over the last year (read that in a newspaper some time ago)

Rooney isn't performing, i wouldnt normally say this but if he continues with this poor run then i would drop him to the bench for a few games, the way Berbatov has started the season we wont be short of attacking quality and we still have a young Hernandez and Owen waiting for their chance.
yeah the stat was 2/3 of all our attacks last season cam down the right hand. but we actually ended up scoring in bunches, rather than consistantly through games.

Nani Park and Giggs will get the majority of games. i think this is a huge oportunity for nani, he showed signs of how good he can be in the second half of last season so hopefully he can continue to progress.

The valencia injury will also bring obertan and Bebe closer to the first team - both have their doubters, now they should have more chances to prove them wrong

as for the creeative midfielder problem, maybe one will get bought next summer - maybe two if carrick gets sold. i think fergie will be looking to give Cleverly some games next season

Will be happy with a top 3 finish and heavy investment next season, Its going to be a long and hard season ahead I feel

Yeah, try being a Liverpool fan:@

Just to clarify my point a bit:

I am not saying that this the end of the world, but I am just showing a bit of concern towards the future of what could happen to Man Utd's campaign this season. We've only played around 6-7 games, counting the Community Shield match and there's another 34, 35 games to play of the PL season.

We are a long way away from it being irrepairable situation, imo.

Nani Park and Giggs will get the majority of games. i think this is a huge oportunity for nani, he showed signs of how good he can be in the second half of last season so hopefully he can continue to progress.

The valencia injury will also bring obertan and Bebe closer to the first team - both have their doubters, now they should have more chances to prove them wrong

as for the creeative midfielder problem, maybe one will get bought next summer - maybe two if carrick gets sold. i think fergie will be looking to give Cleverly some games next season

Bebe is far far far from first team. He is one for future.

I am not saying that this the end of the world, but I am just showing a bit of concern towards the future of what could happen to Man Utd's campaign this season. We've only played around 6-7 games, counting the Community Shield match and there's another 34, 35 games to play of the PL season.

remember we always tend to be sloppy in the first half of the season and lethal in the second. as long as we're in striking distance of chelsea at christmas im not worried. and even Cjacko11 will admit if united are top at christmas, we'll probably go on to win the league. we've been here before when apparently we were done and SAF should retire.

We are slow starters and hit peak during mid season. Its been the case all the way from SAF era.

We aren't a one man team, Rooney doesn't have to be our 'super-duper star player'. Berbatov has been brilliant in the few games so far, Rooney not so much. And I think Nani has been really good so far, and we have Giggs, Park and Obertan to play on the other wing. Nani put in a good defensive performance as well as providing 2 assists against Everton

remember we always tend to be sloppy in the first half of the season and lethal in the second. as long as we're in striking distance of chelsea at christmas im not worried. and even Cjacko11 will admit if united are top at christmas, we'll probably go on to win the league. we've been here before when apparently we were done and SAF should retire.

We are slow starters and hit peak during mid season. Its been the case all the way from SAF era.

Great minds :D

Back