Valencia to miss most of season

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 851

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United's Antonio Valencia will be sidelined for "a good portion" of the season after suffering significant ligament damage and a fractured ankle in Tuesday's match against Rangers.

More...

he has also suffered major ligament damage, we could be looking at 9 12 months before full recovery

Felt extremely sorry for both broadfoot and Valencia. Horrible to see. Although I don't rate broadfoot, must be a horrible feeling to see that after a good tackle. Best of luck to Valencia, wish him a very speedy recovery.

Felt extremely sorry for both broadfoot and Valencia. Horrible to see. Although I don't rate broadfoot, must be a horrible feeling to see that after a good tackle. Best of luck to Valencia, wish him a very speedy recovery.
agreed, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that tackle at all

agreed, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that tackle at all

I wouldn't have noticed the damage had it not been for the reaction if Broadfoot, Rooney and Naismith. I really like Valencia, he seems like one of those players who just wants to keep his head down and work hard.

Well at least now Nani can have a full season playing at RM

Valencia is a good lad, another Paul Scholes; just wants to play football. I hope he comes back even stronger rather than becoming a shell of his former self. Obertan and Nani really have to stand up and be counted now.

yea i think the scenes of broadfoot rooney and naysmith really summed up how bad it was early. really hope he isnt out for 9 - 12 months as its a huge loss for us.

like tiraths sed b4, at least nani has a near full season at rm which i think will help him improve a **** of a lot. some of his best performances came from there (most notiably, against city in the league cup - IMO that was his best game of the season at old trafford)

Such a shame i for one am gutted for valencia he is a key part in man u attack not many back up wingers when is ferguson goin to buy more players oh wait he cant now to ****** jam great.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6379331,00.html

Valencia surgery a success

United winger starts out on the long road to recovery

Antonio Valencia has undergone a successful operation on his ankle, but will miss 'a good portion of the season'.
The Manchester United
spacer.gif
winger sustained an horrific injury while on UEFA Champions League
spacer.gif
duty against Rangers
spacer.gif
on Tuesday.
It was immediately clear that he would be sidelined for a prolonged period of time, with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson
spacer.gif
admitting that he expected the Ecuador international to miss the remainder of the 2010/11 campaign.
United have confirmed that Valencia
spacer.gif
has suffered 'significant ligament damage' but are confident surgery has now put him on the road to recovery.
It is difficult to tell at this stage how long the 25-year-old will be sidelined for, but a return by the end of the season has not been completely ruled out.
Having fractured and dislocated his left ankle he faces a lengthy period of rehabilitation, but United claim the player is in good spirits and is looking forward to getting back out on the field as soon as possible.
Determined

"The operation went well," a club spokesperson told United's official website.
"A plate has been inserted to stabilise the fracture but there is obvious significant ligament damage that follows a dislocation and he will be out for a good portion of the season."
Quotes attributed to Ecuador national team doctor Patricio Maldonado were released on Wednesday, with the South American medic claiming Valencia
spacer.gif
could be back inside five to six months.
It was also suggested that Valencia would require psychological counseling to help him through a traumatic time.
United, though, insist they have had no contact with the Ecuadorians and are adamant that Valencia remains in a 'positive' mood.
"Contrary to recent reports there has been no official contact from the Ecuadorian national team. Antonio is perfectly fine, very positive and very determined," added the club's spokesperson.

i think he could be back in around 7-8 months playing again, but full fitness may come around the 9th month

He might be back in time for united's rushing period where they pick up the pace. A very very valuable player, id rate him higher than Nani to be honest.. His speed is incredible, in a split second he gains yards of space to pull in a cross.

Best of luck, hope you recover soon amazing antonio!

bad news for Utd and i feel for the lad alot. Im pretty sure he is coming out my dream team when the first transfer window opens.

Back