• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 876

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Aston Villa sign 35-year-old goalkeeper Shay Given from Manchester City on a five-year contract.

More...

Didn't see that coming.. 5 year contract is a bit of a gamble but if he can play to Friedel's level until he's 40 then their GK situation is sorted for 5 years!

I think he will play upto 40.

A terrific keeper, missed a season and will be desperate to impress and prove he's a top quality keeper again.

Has been wasted at Man City like many have, although i believe its a fantastic signing for villa, im also rather overjoyed they haven't tempted Fozzy across the boarder!

I think there's still loads of qualities from Given, even though he already 35 years old. But for this transfer windows I can see terrible decision made by Aston Villa. Sold their stars players, and I didn't notice anyone with good qualities coming to Villa. Or am I missing the bus?

Confident he will play till he's 40 then Villa?

Maybe not, but O'Neill used to give our players three year contracts all the time, resulting in us losing many of them on free or for lower sums. We're confident he can perform for a while, and why not? Keepers are getting older and older as new fitness methods prolong their careers.

Has been wasted at Man City like many have, although i believe its a fantastic signing for villa, im also rather overjoyed they haven't tempted Fozzy across the boarder!

Border? I suppose there is a border. You have all the areas around the city, we have the city. Thus, the city is ours. ;)

I think there's still loads of qualities from Given, even though he already 35 years old. But for this transfer windows I can see terrible decision made by Aston Villa. Sold their stars players, and I didn't notice anyone with good qualities coming to Villa. Or am I missing the bus?

Mmmhmmm.

Terrible decision, selling star players who wanted to leave and we couldn't stop them leaving. Terrible decision, getting a combined sum of roughly £35 million for two of said players. Terrible decision, not immediately chucking cash around in the general direction of any slightly talented player and instead holding off and considering our options. Terrible decision, going in for Charles N'Zogbia, Alan Hutton and Scott Parker.

You haven't so much missed the bus as been run over by it. There's months ahead of Villa in which to strengthen the squad.

5 years a tad long even for a 35 years old keeper these days! if the wage was lowered/spread out of the 5 years instead of a much higher wage in 2 or 3 years, I guess it would have been what Given wanted and he is still a very good keeper! always has been!

Villa do need to look for better quality though, Nzogbia and Hutton are quite **** to be honest! Villa are looking at Corluka at the moment though, he is a good Rb!

they need Scotty as Reo Coker was released if I remember correctly, need a new Cb, Rb, Lw and a striker...

they are probably only going to bring in a few replacements this year and build for the next 2 or 3 years and hopefully become a top 7 club like they should be! challenging for Europa!

Villa do need to look for better quality though, Nzogbia and Hutton are quite **** to be honest! Villa are looking at Corluka at the moment though, he is a good Rb!

Hopefully you are joking about Nzogbia..

agh, he is alright... not worth the money they are asking though....

Antonia Valencia was only £16 million :)

5 years a tad long even for a 35 years old keeper these days! if the wage was lowered/spread out of the 5 years instead of a much higher wage in 2 or 3 years, I guess it would have been what Given wanted and he is still a very good keeper! always has been!

they need Scotty as Reo Coker was released if I remember correctly, need a new Cb, Rb, Lw and a striker...

they are probably only going to bring in a few replacements this year and build for the next 2 or 3 years and hopefully become a top 7 club like they should be! challenging for Europa!

First Downing's **** now N'Zogbia? Arguably best crosser and best dribbler respectively last year.

First Downing's **** now N'Zogbia? Arguably best crosser and best dribbler respectively last year.

Couldn't agree more. Him, Downing and Baines really excelled last year. Some of the football Charles and Downing played was outstanding

hahaha, love how touchy you supporters all are :)

in comparison to other players he is ok, don't get me wrong, they both had good seasons last year, class is permanent form is temporary.... just remember that, thats all I am saying :)

I think Hutton deserves a shot. He has linked up with AMac before at Rangers and Scotland, so he knows him well and he's a good attacking right-back. Relatively young too. Also, N'Zogbia is the awesomesauce, whether we get him or not.

We need a new LB, certainly, and a RB would be good as well. A new CB... well, we could get away with not getting one if Baker and Clark properly step up. Dunno why we need a striker, between Bent, Agonlahor, Delfouneso, Weimann and the Heskanator

Hopefully :wub:

hahaha, love how touchy you su-

SHUT UP RAIKAN GO AWAY :@

in comparison to other players he is ok, don't get me wrong, they both had good seasons last year, class is permanent form is temporary.... just remember that, thats all I am saying :)

Bit harsh to say that considering N'Zogbia is only what, 25? He has finally come of age after threatening to in the previous seasons. Fair enough saying that if the guy is 28, but N'Zogbia's finally finishing his development.

Border? I suppose there is a border. You have all the areas around the city, we have the city. Thus, the city is ours. ;)

YAWNNN, i just meant the border of your little village ;)

Back