• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Aston Villa are on the verge of completing a £3.5m deal for Manchester City's Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given.

More...

A good deal for them, Villa need to spend those big money with brain, on good players.

It'll be interesting to see how well he does. Won't be as good as he was a couple of years ago, but still a decent replacement for Friedel if you ask me.

Should never have been sold by Newcastle. The day he left was the day we were relegated, basically.

Decent enough replacement for Friedel. Although he is older i believe Freidel is better.

Last edited:
£3.5m is a steal for a keeper of his ability. Good signing!

Great signing for them.He's a better player than Friedel ever was.

Good signing so long as he can stay injury-free.

Good for Given, Villa and Ireland :)
Given gets game time, Villa get a great goalie and Ireland get their no.1 back to match sharpness.

Decent enough replacement for Friedel. Although he is older i believe Freidel is better.

Really? I really think Shay is one of the best keepers around, so shocked that nobody big went in for him. He finally got his chance with City (kind of) and was harshly dropped for someone I do not believe is a proven goalkeeper just yet.

Good signing we should have bid for him :(

Wages I assume? He must be on mega bucks at City.

Excellent deal for Villa, couldn't have done better really & a good price at that.

Really? I really think Shay is one of the best keepers around, so shocked that nobody big went in for him. He finally got his chance with City (kind of) and was harshly dropped for someone I do not believe is a proven goalkeeper just yet.

Excellent deal for Villa, couldn't have done better really & a good price at that.

Always been critical of him. He is a great shot stopper but everywhere he has been leaks goals so i question his commanding of his area and defence. I think Friedel organises his defence better and makes better decisions.

Very good deal for Villa, only problem I see in him is He wont leave the line to pick up the lose ball. Commanding of the area is weak, but one of the best shot stoppers in the league and europe..

I think Friedel and Given are about on par in terms of ability. Given flaps at crosses occasionally and is less reliable than Brad (though Brad is one of the most reliable keepers, well, ever) but he's a truly spectacular shot-stopper.

Good signing, I'm very happy. It makes perfect sense: so much sense in fact I am surprised Villa are actually doing it. Keep it up AMac.

EDIT: Not to mention that fact that our backline could well consist of Dunne and Clark flanked by full-backs. The national link could help both us and Ireland.

I believe he would have taken a reduction, he did say that he was very open to moving to Celtic at the start of the summer. He should have at least made a bid for him though even if it would result in him turning us down.

Very good signing. Cannot understand why he wasn't used more at City. Far too good to be sitting around warming benches

Always been critical of him. He is a great shot stopper but everywhere he has been leaks goals so i question his commanding of his area and defence. I think Friedel organises his defence better and makes better decisions.

Can't really comment on the organisation of the defence, I don't really know too much about it to comment but how has he leaked goals? Given is an excellent shot stopper.

Can't really comment on the organisation of the defence, I don't really know too much about it to comment but how has he leaked goals? Given is an excellent shot stopper.

I just dont think he is as great as people make him out to be. And personly i think Freidel is a better all rounder than Given although age does play a huge part.

Great signing IMO. It's a shame City wouldn't sell him to us last season, one of the best Goalkeepers in the Prem on his day.

******* quality signing, love this! It's also been reported everywhere, they have agree'd a deal with N'Zogbia on personal terms and are basically at an agreement with Wigan on what transfer fee to pay. Also, Villa are leading the chase for Scott Parker, if we bring these three guys in for just over the 20£ million we got for Downing, it would be a freakin' steal!

VTID!

Back