Villians Strike Again - An Aston Villa Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC Hammer

Reaction score
Lambert leaves for Scotland!!

TNW_Thumb_ssn.jpg

Sky Sports can now reveal that Paul Lambert has left his managerial position at Aston Villa to become the manager of the Scotland National team, a job he "could not turn down", despite only being at Aston Villa for just one month. Paul Lambert enjoyed a very succesful spell with Norwich which is were he earnt his fame. He gained two succesive promotions with them, bringing the canaries back to where they belong. He then moved to Aston Villa just one month ago, which the Norwich fans were gutted about after a succesful campaign in their first season back in the Premier League. We understand that yesterday he was offered the job to become Scotlands national team manager. We spoke to Paul Lambert earlier when rumours were flying around and he said that "if the job does become available and they offer it to me, it will be extremely difficult to turn down". And as you can now see, he wasnt lying. Here is Paul saying his farewells to the Aston Villa supporters who gathered outside Villa Park to convince him to stay.

article-2155357-137A139F000005DC-624_468x292.jpg

Sky Sports understand that he has signed a three year deal with the Scottish FA. Mr.Lambert was a busy man in his one month spell at Aston Villa, bringing in new faces such as Austrailian international Brett Holman, who looked to be a good addition to the Villa squad. He also purchased Dutch international Ron Vlaar for a fee of around £4,000,000. Furthemore, Sheffield Utd full back Matthew Lowton and Karim Al Ahamdi were also Paul Lamberts signigs. Aston Villa also saw the departure of James Collins to fellow Premier League side West Ham and Carlos Cuellar to Sunderland on a free transfer. Both Stephen Ireland and Darrent Bent wished Paul Lambert the best for the future over Twitter:

@DBent_9: "Sad to see the gaffer go, but best of luck to him in International management. What he always wanted."

@StevenIreland_: "Wasn't with us long but already he has made a long lasting impression on us Villa lads. Good luck Paul"

So, who are the believed candidates to take over as the Aston Villa boss...

TN20854_skybet-logo.gif

270px-Harry_Redknapp_Brighton_v_Spurs_Amex_Opening_30711.jpg

Harry Redknapp - 5/2
Alan Curbishley - 5/1
Alan Shearer - 7/1
Kenny Daglish - 10/1
Craig Levien - 10/1

After Harry Redknapp stating that he wants to get back into football as soon as possible its hard to look past him to become the new Aston Villa manger. But it might not be him? Stay with us to see who becomes the new manager of Aston Villa.

Good start mate interesting choice in Aston Villa too should be a good story will follow :)

Thanks man, gonna update now. Yeah thought Villa would be something different.

No Harry for The Villians, Calder Hired!!

View attachment 269883

Aston Villa have annouced Unknown youth coach Alex Calder as there new manager. Mr.Calder has signed a three year deal with the club worth around £12,000 a week to him. Alex Calder is only 26 years of age and has never managed before. He has been a youth coach at West Ham for the last four years and has been considered by West Ham manager Sam Allardyce a "hot prospect for the future" in the managing world. He has helped the likes of Tony Carr bring through players at West Ham, such as James Tomkins who has gone on to play for GB team in the Olympics, Mark Noble: who is the clubs vice captain and Jordan Spence who has a succesful future at West Ham ahead of him. Despite this, the footballing world is still shocked by Aston Villa's choice to make Alex Calder manager and give him such responsibility at an early age. We spoke to Randy Lerner as soon as his appointment was confirmed and here is what he had to say:

"We are delighted to welcome Alex Calder into this fantastic club, I understand many of people out there, especially the Villa fans will be shocked by our choice because he is fairly unknown. But we saw something special in this young guy and he had so much ambition for the club, so we backed him and choose him as the next Aston Villa manager. We wanted someone younger who could be at the club for a long time and take this club forward into a title winniong side. So when we saw his application for the job we decided to call him for an interview and there was were we saw this man could be exactly what the club needs."

aston-villa-villa-park-315059874.jpg

Alex Calders Opening Press Conference

BBC Sport: Alex, welcome to the Premier League. What are your ambitions for Aston Villa?

Mr.Calder: Firstly, my first season is going to be the hardest because I have to gel with the players, get them used to my new ideas and how i plan to take this club forward. So in the season coming up I am looking to secure a top half finish with a decent cup run. Just to bring a bit of stability to this club. Then in the next three seasons I want to get Aston Villa into the top 4 and contentding for the Champions League and hopefully picking up a trophy here and there. From then we want to be winning titles and cups. Simple as that.

ESPN: You seem to have it all planned out, in terms of transfers. What kind of players do you want to buy and how much have the board allowed to spend?

Mr Calder: I always look towards bringing through the youth so young players will be part of my signings and not just top class expereinced players. I always work hard to drive a hard bargain menaing I will never pay over the odds for a player. I will never be despereate. Anyone that I do buy will be scouted and monitored thoroughly to make sure he is the right man for this football club and not a waste of Randy's money. I have had a chat about season expectations and transfer budgte and so on. And lets just say that there is some money available and I wont have to generate it all myself, by selling players.

Sky Sports: Behind the scenes, will you be having much impact?

Mr Calder: Absolutely, I want to be involved in absolutely everything; from talking to players about what was on the tele last night to getting results on a saturday afternoon, everything behind the scenes will be managed and conducted by me. Obviously I will have staff to help me, some will be certain individuals that I will bring in myself and the majority will be people who are already at the club but I want to create a real positive atmosphere amongst everyone at the club and make this club a family rather than just a workplace for these people. And anyone who does not want to conform to that can leave the club as far as I am concerned. In terms of training I have my own schedule that I will be intorducing to the players tomorrow, one that focuses on each indiviauls strengths and weaknesses, improving them as a player for their certain role.

The SUN: What are your tactics for Villa?

Mr Calder: Aha, that would be telling. I am not foolish enough to tell the world my tactic (laughs). Lets just put it his way, it will certainly be entertaining and exciting. Thats it from me, thanks guys.

Well, what will the future hold for Aston Villa. Alex Calder certainly talks a good show....

Fans Reactions

image-3-for-aston-villa-fans-at-wembley-gallery-557778163.jpg

Peter from Birmingham: "Firstly, I would like to wish Paul Lambert the best of luck for the future at Scotland. And I am happy with the new choice he is someone who is not known by the media, meaning we arent always in the public eye which will allow the fella to get on with his work. He is a young man full of ambition, bring on the new season!"

David from Birmingham:" I seriously worry for this clubs future with this employment. We had the right man in Lmbert but now we have some inexperienced kid who ahsnt got a clue what he is doing! Wouldnt be suprised one bit if we ended up being relegated this season. The board have just gone for the cheap option, poor show."

John from Wolverhampton: "Surprisingly mate, im happy with this employment. Something different and someone know who is full of ambition and has that determination to make it work at this club and make Villa the club they once were. Good luck Calder, we are all behind you lad. Come on the Villa!"

Mixed reactions there from the Villa fans but I am sure they will all be behind him come the start of the season...

Last edited:
Looking good so far! Just done a few season with Villa for my story and they were my favorite seasons for a long time Enjoy as much as i did! Following!

Thanks bigtukker and cheers Stone Cold, good to see your following. Update to come in a minute.

Nice style, had one save for villians in fm11 - very interesting team, some good prospects. Definitely follow this story, good luck!

Hi mate- as a birmingham city fan I dont enjoy praising this story but i think it's excellent. i like the attention to detail and what different fans think/media etc. looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers guys appreciate all the comments. Im trying my best so detail is key to me, it makes a good story. Update within 30 minutes.

Good stuff and no surprise you have included west ham somewhere in the story ;) :p

nice stuff mate :) looking forward to see who you have managed to sign :)

Squad Evaluation

150px-Premier_League.svg.png

Season Expectations: Top Half finish
Transfer Budget: £16,000,000
Wage Budget: £825,000

Tactic: Aston Villa will be taking an almost Barcelona approach to the new up and coming Premiership season. We expect them to be fielding a first eleven in an authentic 4-3-3 formation. Starting with a rock solid and reliable goalkeeper; which they have in Shay Given. Then in front of him a Solid but ball playing back four who can get involved in the attacking side of Aston Villa and create moves. Villa's defence wont be the typical old fashion English defence of "just boot it out as soon as possible" they will have a calm but skillful way about them. Ron Vlaar we believe will be the man to construct the defence. Just in front of the Back four will be a defensive midfielder who will just act as an anchorman. In front of him will be two centre midfielders who will contribute to both attacking and defensive work, so stamina and determination are key attributes in this position. Then we have possibly the two most influential positions in this tactics which are the wingers/inside forwards who will bring the ball from deep to both socre and create goals. Finally, there will be the lone strker who will act as a poacher, just being in the right place at the right time. We expect this man to be Darren Bent.

View attachment 269938

Squad

Goalkeepers

Given_large.jpg

Shay Given -
Everyone knows that Shane is a top class goalkeeper and he will be Aston Villa's number one this season, no doubt making several world class saves again this season. Given will also be vice captain to Aston Villa with Ron Vlaar leading the Villians out.

Brad Guzan - Brad will be first choice back up for Shay, Brad is a very good goalkeeper and Villa can rely on him if Shay does pick up an injury.

Benjamin Siegrist - Benjamin is third choice. he is a hot prospect for the future and could one day be Villa's number 1.

Defenders

267637_1.jpg

Ron Vlaar - A signing made by Paul Lambert just two weekes ago. Despite this, Vlaar is highly rated by Calder and will be his number one choice in defence, this is proved through Calder giving the captains armband already at such a young age. He obviously has a big future planned for Ron and believes he is the man to take this club forward. Ron is both solid in defence and good on the ball.

Cirian Clark - This young lad is expected to feature for Villa this season, we understand has a future planned for him and is a big fan of his talents.

Richard Dunne - Richard is out for about four months but when he is back we know that he will feature in Calders plans. As he feels it would be a waste not to use Dunne's talents/

Alan Hutton - He will be Villa's first chocie right back and is an experienced professional in the Premier League

Stephen Warnock - Villa are currently looking for a Left back, so Stephen may be back up. But I dont think Calder has any plans to seel him just yet.

Matthew Lowton
- He is onyl a young kid and may feature in the odd carling cup game here and there but as far as Calder is concerned he is one for the future.

Midfielders

charles-n-zogbia-284996562.jpg

Charles N'Zogbia - This man is going to be the driving force for Calders Villa side. He will be playing on the right and will be cutting in on his right foot to assist and socre goals to lift Villa up the table. He will be coming form deep to pick up the ball and do something with it. Charles is both pacey and skillfull which is needed if Villa want to scare opposition defenders.

Mark Albrighton - Currently, Mark is injured for approximately four months but once he is back he is expected to feature in Calders first team plans. Expected to play on the left and cut in on his right foot.

Gary Gardner - Despite only being 18 we still know that Gary will feature in some of Aston Villas games this season because Calder knows that he needs first team football if he is going to develop into the player he could one day be; an Aston Villa legend.

Stephen Ireland - He is a player with great experience in the Premier League and we expect him to feature this season for Aston Villa. However, there have been rumours recently that he could leave the club as Calder doesnt feel he fits into the first team plans because of the formation he is playing. We will see.

Brett Holman - Another addition made by former manager Paul Lambert. We expect him to act as back up to the liks of N'Zogbia, Calder doesnt believe Brett is good enough to feature in the first team just yet.

Jean II Makoun - We expect Jean to start in the Anchorman role and has a big future at the club despite being unwanted by previous Aston Villa managers. He is strong and a work horse which Calder appreciates,

Stylian Petrov - There are rumours flying aoprund that he could be leaving Aston Villa but nothing has been confirmed yet, if he doe stay we expect him to feature in Calders plans and wont be left to rot on the bench and in the reserves.

Barry Bannan - Once again another talented young midfielder who has a big future at Villa. Bannan adds that touch of class to this Villa side with his creativity and will almost take on the Xavi role; finding gaps and playing the wingers through.

Fabian Delph - Calder has a big future planned for this young lad and wants to make him an Aston Villa legend as he will fit right into the central midfield role in the 4-3-3 system he has planned. Delph is a work horse and will always give 100% for the team he plays for.

Karim Al Ahamdi - Another Lambert signing who will feature this season for Aston Villa and is in Calders plans. He will probably act as back up to the first team and will feature in some games.

Forwards
Darren-Bent-Aston-Villa-Premier-League-PA_2554090.jpg

Darren Bent -
Darrent will lead at the front for Calders side and will be one of Aston Villa's key players this season, hopefully scoring many goals and winning games for them. He is a proven goalscorer in the Premier League and an International footballer who is much repsected by his gaffer. He is quick and also deadly in front of goal with the ability to turn a defence inside out wihtin a matter of seconds.

Nathan Delfouneso - A young talent who is very much like Darren in terms of the way they both play. He will feature in some of the games this season and is regarded as a special talent for Aston Villa in the future.

Gabby Agbonlahor - He is currently injured at the moment but will be back in a matter of weeks and when he is back we expect him to act as cover for Darren Bent. He has electric pace and is a scare to opposition defenders especially along the floor. A good player for Aston Villa.

Andy Weimann - this young man may well feature this season but we wouldnt be surprised if he was loaned to a championship side or something as Calder may not think he is ready to step up just yet.

To conclude we have knowledge that there are several areas that Calder wants to strenghten in this Aston Villia side. They are:
- A Central midfielder
- A Defensive midfielder
- Two Central defenders
- Back up Right Back
- First team Left Back
- Two wingers if possible

As you can see Calder is going to be a very busy during this transfer market.

Staff In's and Out's

108110d1285695015-lighting-up-goodison-park-steve-round.jpg

Calder did express in his opening press conference that he is looking to bring in some of his own backroom staff and will get rid of any deadwood at the club. Since then, the first member of staff he let go was scout Mel Machin who Clader believed didnt have the right attitude towards scouting and wasnt dedicated enough to find these "hidden gems". Calder doesnt feel that he needs to replace as there are other good scouts at the club. In addition, Calder has also let go Stuart Walker, Arthur Numan and Mark Delany. Alex believed that these individuals werent needed at the club and were just a waste of money. To cover for these losses, Calder did bring in fitness coach Paul Winsper and highly rated youth coach Phil Cannon from Blackburn. Finnaly, he also let go Assistan Manager Ian Culverhouse and replaced him with Steve Round who is both eperienced and professional in his job and is very tacticly clued up. Calder said he was "delighted" that Steve Round accepted his offer to become Assitant to him at Aston Villa.

Ireland & Petrov staying put!

petcrop_2697297.jpg

Alex Calder today confirmed that Stylian Petrov and Stephen Ireland will be staying at the club, and that there was never any doubt that they wouldnt remain at the club. Calder also said that both of the Premiership players feature in his plans significantly and that rumours that linked them with moves away from Villa are completely inaccurate. Stephen Ireland also said that he "is glad his future has been confirmed at Aston Villa and is really looking forward to the new season with a new manager". Ireland was linked with a move abroad to Bayer Leverkusen who reportedly wanted him on a season long loan with a view to a permanent. Furthermore, Stylian Petrov is no longer captain at Aston Villa because he has been replaced by Ron Vlaar so there was speculation linking him with a move to Serie A side Fiorentina after they recently lost key midfielder Ricardo Montolivo. But we now though they will be staying at Villa with Calder.

Trio of Youngsters depart Villa Park

Chris-Herd-Aston-Villa-Profile_2651595.jpg

We can officially announce that three players have left Villa Park to day. The first of them is Chris Herd, who under Alex Mcleish saw some first team football and was a prospect for the future, however Calder obviously thought differently and didnt think he was good enouhg for this Villa squad. The 22 year old Australian has left Villa to join newly promoted Sheffield Wednesday who look to bolster their defence. Wednesday have paid £1.5m for the young lad and see him as a first team player. Calder has wished him all the best for the future. In addition, Nathan Baker has also left the club, but only on a season long loan to Preston; who are currently playing in League . The last man to leave was 22 year old American Eric Lichaj on a season long loan to Burnley. However, this loan deal cost Burnley an up-front fee of £475,000. Calder wants both Eric and Nathan to get some first team action under their belts, hence sending them on loan.

Pre-Season

Reports from inside the Aston Villa camp tell us that Calders twist on training is working really well and the players are really enjoying the new system, especially the fact its designed to get the best out of every player, working on fitness and technique. Below you can see Gary Gardner working on his agility and balance something the players didnt do much of before.

Gary-Gardner-Aston-Villa-PreSeason-training-_2793010.jpg

Pre Season friendlies coming up:
- Ajax (H)
- Kaiserslautern (A)
- Sporting (H)

They then face Arsenal on the opening day of the season which is a very difficult way to start the season.

Calder dips into transfer market with a shock purchase!

owen_hargreaves_633570878187343750.jpg

Aston Villa have shcoked the footballing world today with the signing of former Bayern Munich, Manchester Utd and Man City player Owen Hargreaves who recently spoke about hanging up his boots. Calder took Owen on trail for a wekk and was impressed with what he saw so he has signed him on a two year deal for rotation with Jean II Makoun in the defensive midfield role. Hargreaves is reportedly earning around £10,000 a week with other bonuses. Owen has made 42 appearnces for his country and may be looking to get back into the England side if he impresses both Calder and Roy Hodgson. We understand that Owen has been welcomed with open arms at Villa and is "a good addition to the squad" according to Darren Bent on twitter. We spoke to former Villa boss Alex Mcleish who backed Calders judgement in bringing Owen to Villa Park and said it was a good piece of business by the 26 year old manager.

2009-07-20_CARA_HENRIQUE_01.jpg

However, Owen Hargreaves is not the only signing Alex Calder has made so far. He has also improved the defence by bringing in former Barcelona defender Henrique on a free transfer as he had run out of contract at the Nou Camp and was looking for a new club. Henrique has also made an appearance for his country, in this case Brazil which is an impressive fact to have. Henrique outlined how delighted he was to join Villa by saying he cant wait to get started and is looking to meeting the Villa family. He has signed a four year deal worth £25,000 a week to him. In addition Aston Villa have also purchased John Mensah on a free transfer who used to play for both Sunderland and Lyon and recently run out of contract. He has signed a two year deal with the Villians.

Vrsaljko.jpg

Finally, Aston Villa have confirmed the signing of 18 year old fullback Sime Vrsaljko for a fee of £2,900,000 who was delighted to sign for a Premier League side. The teenage croation right back has been labelled the next Darjo Srna who is Croatia's captain and a quality player so Villa will be hoping he does live up to that statement. Aston Villa had to fight off interest from the likes of Villareal and Valencia, but he rejected the spanish sides and come to the Premier League were he believes will be his "home". Calder expressed his delight of signing the young Croation as he believes that he will "be one of the best players this Villa crowd have ever seen" and "cant wait to start working with Sime".

Status
Not open for further replies.