WACCOE: Dirty Leeds on the Rise

LeedsInDurham

Reaction score
Introduction

Hi guys, I'm new here. I've read stories and threads but haven't posted until now. I decided to start a new save with the mighty whites and document the story as it unfolds. Hopefully I'll be able to guide them back to the heights of Europe and beyond.

This first post is a little long as I'd reached the end of September when I decided to start this story. I'll try and keep them a little shorter and easier to keep track of in future!
----------------------------------

Taking over in July 2011, a couple of satisfactory loan deals were already in place, and a January transfer already agreed for utility LB / LW / CM Danny Pugh from Stoke. I'm confident in the current playing staff, and so only a few changes were made in the summer transfer window to strengthen some key areas:

View attachment 216384

In

Lichaj has been brought in on an installments based deal to provide much needed strength at RB, with Paul Connolly offering a rotation option.

Grant Hanley is an exciting prospect at Blackburn and his need for regular football matches well with the weakness at CB current in the Leeds squad. He will feature regularly, with young Tom Lees and Andy O'Brien rotating as his partner, and Patrick Kisnorbo providing backup.

Andy Keogh was on a loan until January when I joined the club, with a clause in his contract to allow a 500k purchase at any time throughout this period. His form through preseason and the early season games convinced me that I should buy him, and I felt he was more likely to accept a contract to lure him away from Wolves while enjoying his football at Elland Road.

Out

Struggling forward Billy Paynter has found himself out of favour over the last year at Leeds, with other strong striking options keeping him on the bench or reserve squad. The arrival of Andy Keogh did nothing to help his plight. A loan out to Peterborough, with the option to sign him at any point through the season seemed a good option.

Alex Bruce enjoyed a reasonable start to the 10/11 season at Leeds, but quickly struggled to maintain a first team place. Young Tom Lees pushing through from the reserves to the first team, and the arrival of Grant Hanley meant that there were a number of center backs not getting a place. Alex Bruce was therefore allowed to leave to Birmingham.

Similarly Leigh Bromby, while a leading CB throughout Leeds' time in League 1, he struggled to establish himself at Championship level. The aging center back is out on loan at Chesterfield, and they may purchase him for an agreed fee throughout the loan.

--

The movements in the transfer window have been reasonably limited due to my belief that the squad is already reasonably strong. Potential targets include a loan move for Rangers' left winger Gregg Wylde, though as I am keen to develop Aidan White and Ramon Nunez I have held off. He may be brought in in the event of injuries in this area.

--

The playing staff have easily adapted to a fluid attacking 442 system designed to take the game to the opposition. Even with the additions in the summer window, defending is not the strong suit of this team, with many of the CMs more comfortable when attacking. Therefore a total football approach is applied with the intent of outscoring any opposition team. A counter attacking 4-5-1 is also trained to allow for results to be ground out in high pressure games against much stronger opposition.

Pre Season

The team endured a mixed preseason while new tactics and starting line ups were experimented with. A intersquad friendly resulted in a comprehensive 6-0 victory, which sadly said more about the quality of the reserve squad than the seniors.

Rotherham - 4-1 away defeat.
This was a particularly hard result to take in the first real game in charge. The team didn't respond well to control tactics and were punished when pushing up in the second half.

Arsenal Reserves 0-0 home draw
A much more settled game, which we never looked like loosing. Unfortunately Ross McCormack and Mikael Forsell couldn't find much form in front of goal.

Liverpool Reserves 4-1 home win
A thoroughly enjoyable game, and a demonstration of the attacking approach being practiced by the squad. NO question of the result, a comfortable game throughout.

Guiseley 3-0 away win
Even though many of my decided starting 11 were rested for this ahead of the season beginning, the team were still able to overcome a much weaker opponent with ease.

August

After an encouraging pre season campaign the team headed into the new season in high spirits:

View attachment 216395

A good run, unbeaten for the first month, with comprehensive victories in the first two rounds of the League Cup.

The first league game saw a 2-2 draw with Portsmouth, a hard result to swallow due to the last gasp equaliser from Luke Varney in the 94th minute, which came against the run of play. Leeds were made to rue a number of missed chances after hitting the woodwork 3 times in the game.

In the League Cup First Round at home to Morecambe, the 5-2 scoreline was perhaps harsh on the visitors who put up a spirited fight before a demolition job from 60-90 minutes saw Leeds bag 3 goals to secure the victory. The second round saw an easy victory away at Palace, before making the same trip 3 days later in the league to round out August with a well fought 2-1 victory.

Drawing with Cardiff can be seen as a reasonable result, although I did want to take all 3 points from fellow promotion contenders. A dubious penalty decision allowed Robert Earnshaw to grab the equaliser here and got me a warning from the FA for comments in the post match press conference.

September

How quickly fortunes can change in football. An unbeaten run through August turned to a winless streak in September:

View attachment 216398

A shock defeat at the hands of Coventry stunned Elland Road, and set the tone for a disappointing month. Taking a point away at Blackpool would usually be a great result in terms of the promotion push, however the results that followed have taken the edge off that.

The League Cup 4th Round saw a difficult trip away to Bolton. Though a spirited defensive performance meant we were unlucky to concede, the sheer lack of chances created meant a replay would have been the best outcome. Leeds reached the 3rd round as expected, and I'm not too disappointed as my focus is on promotion this year.

The following two results, a 3-2 and 1-0 defeat at home to Peterborough and Doncaster topped off a disappointing month. While striker Lucciano Becchio enjoyed the pick of the goals against Peterborough on his return from long term injury, the statistics highlight a worrying trend in Leeds' recent games. The Peterborough game saw 23 shots, of which only 6 were on target. There is clearly no issue in creating chances, but putting them away is a different matter, and some tweaks are obviously needed. The total football attacking approach relies squarely on outscoring your opponent, and this won't happen if this trend continues.

This disappointing run sees Leeds finish September languishing in 15th place in the Championship, and things need to be turned around quickly if we are to mount a successful promotion push. Though in 15th, we are only 3 points adrift of the playoffs, and 5 points off the automatic promotion places, so hopefully this poor run of form hasn't had too much impact on the season objectives. Ross McCormack and Mikael Forssell lead the clubs goal scoring table with 5 goals each in all competitions, though Forssell has been out for September after an injury picked up on international duty.

----

Well that's the end of a rather lengthy first post. The next one will probably cover the run up to the January transfer window and should appear either today or tomorrow.

As I said at the start, this is my first story, so give me some hints if you think other things can be improved.

Last edited:
3 months to save the season

The disappointing run in September knocked the boys confidence, and attracted some unwanted media attention around the club. However the dressing room is a close knit bunch and the team knew we could turn the slump around and mount a serious assault on the playoff places before the end of the year. A tweak to the tactics to place more emphasis on Counter Attacking football, as we scored most goals on the break anyway, and this gave Micheal Brown and Johnny Howson the opportunity to drop deeper in central midfield to help out defensively.

October

View attachment 216538

The month started with disappointment, 2 losses against Birmingham and Brighton saw 6 points dropped, and the team down to 17th in League. Probably most disappointing here was that we went down to 9 men against Birmingham and so were ill equipped to put up a resolute defensive performance.

The second half of the month saw two impressive victories against Forrest and Hull. The Hull game was a particular highlight as hard tackling Micheal Brown saw the red card after only 45 seconds had been played. The team rallied around and put in an impressive performance to secure a 3-1 win.

The month ended on a slightly sour note as once again a last minute equaliser allowed Ipswich to grab a point in a game where striker Forssell was struggling to find his early season form after recovering from injury.

November

View attachment 216540

November started with an easy victory at home to Watford, though the dismissal of captain Johnny Howson halfway through the second half highlighted a growing problem of discipline at Leeds, with this their 4th red card in as many weeks. Comprehensive victories over fierce rivals Millwall and promotion rivals Leicester showed the green shoots of recovery. This was compounded by a solid 1-0 victory at home to Middlesborough, despite resting many of the regular starting 11 after a long run of games and in anticipation of a tough game against 2nd place Burnley.

A great run of form revived the fans hopes that the team could finish the year in the playoff positions, and the results over 5 games saw me collect manager of the month, with Andrew Keogh taking player of the month for finding his scoring boots and chipping in 5 goals in 5 appearances. The stage was well and truly set for a great December, and the team's confidence was high in continuing this run.

December

View attachment 216566

December started slowly, with a goalless draw against 2nd place Burnley which was a satisfactory result away at Turf Moor. The play was balanced throughout and any other result would have probably been harsh on either team. This wasn't the case when a packed Elland Road saw rivals Derby hang on for a 1-1 draw in the second game of December. The strike force were at the heart of the fans criticism after once again creating plenty of chances but wasting them.

A 3-0 win away at St Mary's was a much needed tonic to ensure the push for the playoffs continued. The Championship new boys haven't been living up to expectations so far, and they didn't have the quality to answer Leeds' finishing here. A sour note was that Mikael Forrsell picked up his second injury of the season that will sideline him into the new year, raising questions about the ageing player's long term fitness. This game also saw Andrew Keogh bag his 10th goal of the season, and he is obviously enjoying his football and being a fan favourite at Elland Road.

The year was wrapped up with two home 2-1 victories, first a nervy affair against in form Reading, where Rachubka continued making the most of his chance in the first team with a string of top drawer saves. The result against Portsmouth should have been much more comfortable and it took two own goals from the visitors to seal their fate infront of the Kop.

2011 review

The Portsmouth result saw Leeds start their New Years Eve celebrations early extending their unbeaten run to 13 games. This has been a superb run which has seen them rise from a disappointing 17th place in early October to a comfortable 4th place spot. Only goal difference is keeping us out of the automatic promotion spots at the minute, and a small points difference of 3 behind the leader.

Andrew Keogh's great form through November and December was a huge contributor and has seen him rise to the top of the club's goal scoring chart with 10 goals from 20, overtaking previous leaders Ross McCormack and Mikael Forrsell who are both currently on 7.

The board have been delighted with this run, and approached me to offer an improved transfer budget to 575K and topping the wage budget up with an additional 20K in order to secure the clubs' ambitions of finishing in a playoff spot. While I have no plans for major transfers in January, as the team is working well as a unit and I don't intend to upset the balance, the show of confidence from the board is encouraging, and gives a bit of breathing space to potentially add further strength down the left hand side of the team.

The recent form has also lead to me collecting the manager of the month award for the second consecutive month, though in fairness this award is for the team's performances. They faced adversity at the start of October and have rallied around and performed brilliantly to give the fans something to celebrate going into January.

Last edited:
Back