Reaction score
Watford logo.png

Watford: I recruit, you coach
In the past, a manager would be employed at a football club to oversee all aspects of day-to-day life. Training sessions, player signings and contracts would all be handled by the appointed boss, leaving them free to implement their vision. At Vicarage Road, those days are gone.

In June 2012, the Italian Pozzo family took control of the London based club. At the time, Udinese and Granada stood under the ownership of the family. Those links proved beneficial for the club as players moved between the three clubs on loan deals.

After Granada was sold in June 2013, two clubs remain under the Pozzo family umbrella. With Giampaolo residing in Italy, ownership of The Hornets has been passed onto his son, Gino.

A key belief of the Pozzo family is the ‘Head Coach’ model. At Watford, recruitment of the coach is based on their ability to coach a team to victory and nothing more. Each coach is judged on results on the pitch, and should they fail to achieve this, a shortlist of potential replacements will be ready to do so.

Pozzo Family.jpg

Giampaolo Pozzo (centre) and son Gino (left)

And so my story begins. To explain, I will be taking the role of Director of Football/Sporting Director; whichever term you prefer. In my role at Watford F.C, I will be responsible for:
  • Hiring/sacking the Head Coach
The process is pretty self-explanatory, though to keep the save as realistic as possible, I will only recruit a ‘Manager’ who is willing to join our club as an Assistant Manager. Key attributes of Judging Player Ability, Man Management, Motivating and Tactical Knowledge will be required.
  • Hiring/sacking the coaching team
Once the Head Coach has been hired, I will bring in a strong team of coaches to compliment the boss’ skills. Assisting him with training, tactical advice, team talks and speaking to the press.
  • Building the scouting network
Along with the connections in Italy, I will develop a strong network of scouts across the world. The recruitment strategy will be based on buying young and upcoming talent for relatively small sums and selling them on for a large profit, which will be reinvested in the club. The Head Coach will have no input into the recruitment.
  • Contract negotiations
With the best interests of the club in mind, all contract negotiations will be handled by me. The Head Coach will be consulted to judge a player’s ability, whilst their role within the dressing room, on the pitch and minutes played will also be taken into account. However, finances are important too. No contract will put the club at risk, we will not be held to ransom. New signing contracts will also fall under me.

So, I hear you ask, what will the Head Coach be responsible for?
  • Media
The Head Coach, and his appointed team, will be responsible for handling all forms of the media.
  • Training
As above, the Head Coach, and his appointed team, will be responsible for the general and individual training schedules.
  • Tactics
The Head Coach will be responsible for the matchday tactics, including briefings, team selection, touchline & opposition instructions and team talks.

I will be judged on the success of my transfers and results. If I feel the pressure, I won’t hesitate to recruit someone new. Let’s see where this journey takes us...

Watford logo.png

Avram Grant named new Watford manager on three-year contract

Avram Grant has been officially announced as Watford’s new manager after signing a three-year contract with The Hornets.

Avram Grant.jpg

HE'S BACK: Grant returns to the Premier League for his fourth spell.

Grant, who guided Chelsea to a Champions League final in 2008, will join the Hertfordshire side immediately after leaving his role of Director of Football at Indian club, Guwahati.

The 64-year-old also led the Blues to a runners-up spot in the Premier League in his only season in charge at Stamford Bridge. Since then, Grant managed a less-successful spell at London rivals, West Ham. In a season which saw The Hammers pick up only seven wins, resulting in their relegation to the Championship, the Israeli was described as a ‘Millwall legend’, due to his efforts at the club.

Moving away from the Premier League helped somewhat revive the career of the former Israel manager. After one championship season managing Partizan Belgrade and one season as the technical director for Thai club BEC Tero Sasana, Grant was appointed coach of the Ghana national football team in 2014. He stepped down from the position in 2017, after leading the Black Stars to African Cup of Nations final in 2015 and a defeat in the semi-finals of the same competition in his final year in charge.

Grant Ghana.jpg

Grant came painfully close to delivering a fifth African Cup of Nations title for the Black Stars

Grant, a former Director of Football at Chelsea and Portsmouth, will have to adjust to the ‘Head Coach’ model at his new club. However, officials at the London club are confident that he will seamlessly transition into his new role.

Ahead of his unveiling at Vicarage Road, the successor to Nigel Pearson told The Hornets’ official website: ”‘I am proud and honoured to be the manager of Watford F.C”

“It will be an exciting challenge and I am ready to do my best. ‘This is a great club with vocal fans and a proud history. I am already looking forward to getting to work with my players in July and preparing for the new season.”

Watford F.C. Director of Football, Aaron Davis, who has made his first move since taking up the role, described Grant as a 'fantastic man-manager’’.

He said: ‘I am delighted to welcome Avram to Watford F.C. and I am confident he will prove a success. ‘We established a thorough search of the managers available to us. We believe that Avram has all the qualities and attributes that we require in our manager. He is a fantastic man-manager, and with support from the club, I believe he is the best candidate to take this club forward.”.

‘We are optimistic about the season ahead.’

Last edited:
Watford logo.png

Aaron Davis unvails Watford coaching team

Aaron Davis has officially unveiled a team of six new first-team coaches who will support Avram Grant.

Coaches (1).png

NEW RECRUITS: A strong and experienced team to support the Head Coach
José Alfonso Morcillo remains as fitness coach and is joined by Oliver Bartlett.

Bartlett, a London-born Australian, who has been coaching since 2007, was part of Jurgen Klopp’s setup at Borussia Dortmund. Lauded for turning the fortunes of many of his former clubs, the 51-year-old joins The Hornets after a two-year spell at Chinese Super League club, Beijing.

Richard Thomas remains responsible for possession sessions, whilst Warren Joyce joins as attack coach, with Paul Robinson focusing on defence. Former Germany international, Jens Lehmann, will hope to pass on his experience to the squad’s goalkeepers, along with support from Bournemouth keeper, Darryl Flahavan.

Coaches (2).png

LOOK TO THE FUTURE: The team tasked with developing Watford's future stars

Bryan Klug also joins the club as Head of Youth Development, having held the same role at Ipswich Town.

With youth development key to the club vision, the U21 and U18 sides have also seen their coaching teams revamped.

Former England striker, James Beattie, takes over as U21 manager, with assistance from Carlos Valderrama. Italian, Massimo Oddo, will focus on the U18 side, with support from former Stuttgart manager, Thomas Schneider.

Aaron Davis said: "I am extremely confident that I have recruited a talented group of coaches that can push this club forward. They have lots of experience, which will complement the skills of our head coach, Avram Grant. With a quality playing squad available to them, I know they can help bring positive results in the season ahead."

Watford logo.png

Watford sign defender Lyanco on four-year deal for £11.25m

Watford have signed Brazil U20 centre-back Lyanco from Torino on a four-year deal for £11.25m.

Lyanco.jpg

IT'S NO LY: The defender has completed his medical.

Lyanco is Watford's first addition of the summer after the arrival of new coach, Avram Grant, and Director of Football, Aaron Davis.

The defender, 23, is a Botafogo academy product who left the club in 2012, before making his debut in the Brazilian championship for Sao Paulo in 2016. After 21 appearances, he left for Europe and enjoyed spells at Bologna and Torino.

He represented Brazil U20s at the 2019 French Youth Invitational and received the Best Player runner-up award.

Watford Director of Football Aaron Davis said: "We are delighted to secure the signature of Lyanco. We are confident Lyanco will help provide us with a solid foundation.”

Last edited:
Watford logo.png

Watford offload six players as Aaron Davis continues squad overhaul

Watford have continued to shape their playing squad as their big summer of transfer business continues

Jose Holebas and Christian Kabasele.jpg

NO WAY JOSE: Holebas and Kabasele have made their last appearances for Watford.
Director of Football, Aaron Davis, has wasted no time in offloading a number of players deemed unworthy of a place within the playing squad at Vicarage Road. Those to leave on permanent deals include José Holebas, Heurelho Gomes and Christian Kabasele, who left the club for a combined fee of more than £20m. Craig Cathcart, Andre Gray and Ben Foster have also left the club on loan, with optional transfer fees agreed as part of the deals. The trios time at the Hertfordshire club is said to be over.

José Holebas featured under the previous manager Nigel Pearson, however, Davis made the decision that the Greek international is not of the required standard at Vicarage Road. The left-back has joined french side AS Saint-Etienne on a two-year deal for 1.1m.

After strong interest from Premier League rivals, Leicester, Christian Kabasele shocked Davis with a transfer request. Unwilling to negotiate, the Belgian defender left Watford with no other option than to sell. At 29, Watford are said to be ‘over the moon’ with the £19m received from the transfer. Keen to show a united front, sources inside the club tell us that Grant removed Kabasele from the pre-season tour and forced the defender to train with the reserves.

Ageing Brazilian goalkeeper, Heurelho Gomes, was also shown the door. Pozzo owned, Udinese, tabled a 750k bid for the 39-year-old, which Davis was more than happy to accept. A deal which can be seen as a shrewd piece of business by the newly appointed Englishman.

Gomes.jpg

HEUREL-GO: The Brazilian looks likely to finish his career in Italy.
Craig Cathcart joins Premier League rivals, West Ham, with an optional price of 13m agreed. With a reported £70k a week contract, Andre Gray’s temporary move to Burnley has freed up a large chunk of the wage budget. The Lancashire club have the option to make the deal permanent for 12m. At 37, Ben Foster may have played his last game on English soil. The former England international has joined Valencia on a season-long loan deal. Although the La Liga side have an option to make the deal permanent for just 1m, it’s thought by many that it could be the shot-stoppers last season before retirement.

With six players leaving the club, it is thought that all of the acquired funds will be reinvested into the squad. After recently announcing the signing of Brazilan, Lyanco, it’s likely that we’ll see further reinforcements at the back for Watford before the window slams shut.

Watford Director of Football, Aaron Davis, said: "We are on the cusp of a new era here at Vicarage Park. Unfortunately, after reviewing the squad, it was clear that some players were surplus to requirements. I want to set the bar high and provide Avram with the best possible squad for the upcoming season. I believe the funds acquired for today’s announcements will help me do so.”

“Although our dealings with most of the outgoing players were superb, it was a shame that one deal ended on a sour note. Dignity is a strong characteristic at this club. If you don't have that, we won’t fight to keep you. To the others, who reacted professionally, from all of us here at Watford, we wish you the best of luck for the future.”

Last edited:
Watford logo.png

Hornets swoop for Sassuolo's Marlon after completing a loan deal for Aston Villa keeper

Watford have completed the double signing of Marlon and Jed Steer.

marlon.jpg

SAMBA CENTRE-BACKS: Marlon completes his move to Vicarage Park.

Marlon, 24, has agreed a five-year contract after leaving Serie A side Sassuolo, while English goalkeeper Steer, 27, has joined on a season-long loan from fellow Premier League club Aston Villa.

Marlon has won 13 caps for Brazil at U20 level and came through the Fluminense youth academy after joining at the age of 15.

The 24-year-old centre-back made 44 appearances for Fluminense, before spells in Europe at Barcelona, Nice and Sassuolo.

Watford Director of Football, Aaron Davis said "We are delighted to secure the signature of Marlon. At 24-years-old, we believe that we have secured a player with an incredibly bright future. We’re very confident that he can build an exciting partnership with his fellow compatriot, Lyanco.”

SteerBlues.JPG

STEER US TO VICTORY: The new number 1 for Avram Grant's side.

Aston Villa goalkeeper Jed Steer has completed a move to Vicarage Park and will join Avram Grant's side on loan with a £3.5m option to buy.

The 27-year-old is a graduate of Norwich's academy and spent 5 years at the club. He left the Norfork club for Aston Villa in 2013 and has spent time on loan at various Championship and League One sides. He spent the 2018/19 campaign away on loan at Charlton before finding himself on the transfer list at Villa Park.

The shot-stopper will keen to take his chance as the club’s first-choice keeper after the departures of Ben Foster and Heurelho Gomes.

Last edited: