We don't let this slip [Liverpool 13/14 Retro DB]

MrTini23

Premium
Reaction score
lfc124863aff2fb9caa.png

liverpool-fc-team-photo-13-14-i21271.jpg

So for Football Manager 24 I have created a 2013/14 retro database, so I have decided to do a career as Liverpool to test out the mod and to enjoy the fruits of 6 months of labour. The database is available for free at FM Scout with a 'Retro Regens' mod available on my Patreon page which brings real players into the game over a 10 year span.

A look into the past

Lets remind of ourselves of what happened to Liverpool in the 2013/14 season.

firefox_qb5G84F96H6c0ddbf4b6dfc4cc.png

The 2013/14 season saw Liverpool finish 2nd in the league just two points behind Man City and going out early in both domestic cup competitions, albeit to Arsenal and Manchester United. The season is remembered by most football fans for one specific moment.

article-2623207-1D66477500000578-774_634x351.jpg

The Steven Gerrard slip that cost them the league title.

My aim is to see if I can do one better and bring Liverpool their first Premier League title, 6 years earlier than their title win in 2019/20.

The Journey begins

Here we go! Can I do better than Brendan Rodgers did 10 years ago?

The board only want us to qualify for Europa League which should be easy enough. I'd like to think we can challenge for the title.

The supporters want pretty much the same but they also want to beat Everton. That's a given for any Liverpool manager.

This is the squad I have to work with. Definitely needs some additions if you ask me but with a transfer budget of 15m, there's not a lot of wriggle room. The question will be if we can get the SAS firing up top. I remember Suarez being an absolute monster in 2013/14.

The media are predicting a 6th place finish with Man Utd to win the league in their first season under David Moyes. Interesting that FM24 only predicts actual real-life champions Man City finishing 3rd.

Last edited:

Pre-Season

Transfers Out

It was a busy time on the transfer front with both ins and outs. We let quite a few of our squad players leave on permanent deals as we look to improve the squad. Along with that, we also let a number of our young players go out on loan for vital first team football experience. I feel like we were able to get some very good fees including 16.5m for the likes of Martin Kelly. The fees we were able to get meant we had a fair bit of money to use in order to build our new look squad.

Transfers In

A very positive window. We did abuse monthly installments a little more than I'd like but we did some really good business, especially looking towards the future. To say that we stretched the budget is putting it mildly but if I'm serious about turning us into title challengers, it was necessary.

An exciting young striker who I believe will go on to be extremely good. I don't think he'll start once Luis Suarez returns from his ban but he'll be a dangerous player to bring off the bench.

An exciting young striker who I believe will go on to be extremely good. I don't think he'll start once Luis Suarez returns from his ban but he'll be a dangerous player to bring off the bench.

Very much one for the future. Robertson has the potential to be a superb left-back in the future.

He may be young but I think Lucas Romero can fight for a first-team spot. Happy to get this one across the line.

The signing of Andy saw me also terminate the loan of Ally Cissokho. Andy will be out back-up left back.

We needed some quality and a bit more cover in defensive midfielder and Diame is the perfect fit. Not to mention that the price we got was an absolute steal for a player of his quality.

Another very good young player who I believe can push for a spot in the first team. He can cover both centre back and left back which is an added bonus,

A great signing who will improve the quality at the heart of the defence. With his minimum release clause, I feel like we've really picked yup a bargain there.

Other than Glen Johnson, we didn't have anyone to fill the right-back slot. Montoya is a quality addition who will be able to fill that gap and maybe even push Johnson for a starting berth.

Another very exciting prospect up top to round out the squad. He likely won't play too much but I'm keen to see how he develops in the future.

The Squad

That leaves the squad looking like this. I'm really happy with the way it's evolved and I feel we now have strength in depth in every position as well as some good young players to build around for the future as we look to take the spot at the top of English and European football.

Friendly Results

Overall I'm very happy with our results in pre-season. A 100% record during pre-season and some very good wins. It's great to see us finding the net with regularity and being pretty solid in defence. I think we're more than ready for the season ahead.

Last edited:

August 2013

News: Liverpool to host Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup 2nd round.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 1

A great way to kick off the season. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't score more given the chances we had. That said though, playing Man City is never an easy game so I'm really happy to come away with all three points.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 2

A fantastic win! The lads were excellent and deserved to win, even if Tottenham did manage to score 2.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 3

Yes, it's a win but another ****-poor game by our front three. This is becoming concerning, they need to start putting these chances away.

Capital One Cup
2nd Round

A very good win for a heavily rotated side. We were much better in front of goal in the second half.

News: Liverpool to travel to Norwich in the Capital One Cup 3rd round.

Stats

Awards

John Warrington - Premier League Manager of the Month

Treatment Room

League Table

Manager Performance

Last edited:

September 2013

News: A bit of transfer news on deadline day.

We finally got rid of Assaudi, who joined Atletico.

That left us with 10m to play with so I decided to go big. Robert Lewandowski comes in for an initial 10m fee with 43m in installments. MASSIVE signing.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 4

GET IN! A great result away at Arsenal and great to see Lewandowski get his first goal in Liverpool red/

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 5

We were awful first half but battled back well to take all three points against Newcastle.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 6

A dominant victory away at Stoke was made all the sweeter by the return of Luis Suarez. That front 4 is insane!

Capital One Cup
3rd Round

Another rotated side for the cup and they once again did the business, even if I am a little disappointed to concede two.

News: Liverpool to travel to Stoke in the Capital One Cup 4th Round.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 7

We probably should have scored more than three but a dominant win is good enough for me. We look so good as a team right now.

Stats

Awards

Alexandre Pato - Premier League Player of the Month
Coutinho - Premier League Young Player of the Month

Treatment Room

League Table

Manager Performance

Last edited:

October 2013

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 8

Fair play to McGregor for Hull. He was the only one that looked like he gave a damm and he kept them in it for so long. Once we got the first, that was that and we eased to an easy win.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 9

I feel like we made it a lot harder than it needed to be but we eventually got the win.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 10

We dominated the first half but the red card for the skipper meant that Norwich were able to get back into it. Happy to get the win.

Capital One Cup
4th Round

We got the win but yet another needless red card. Our discipline is something we definitely need to work on.

Stats

Awards

Treatment Room

League Table

Manager Performance

Last edited:

November 2013

News: Liverpool to host Arsenal in the Capital One Cup Quarter Finals.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 11

We dominated and the scoreline flattered Fulham massively. Not much more to say really.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 12

Does it ever get much better than an away win in the Merseyside derby? I dobn't think it does, GET IN.

Barclays Premier League
Matchday 13

It took some very stern words at half-time but we eventually came from behind to pick up the win and extend our run to 13. Probably the worst half of football I've seen us play since I took over.

Stats

Awards

Treatment Room

League Table

Manager Performance