Web Server cost

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1K

Steve*

Y.N.W.A.
Reaction score
I was just posting this for the Admins or anybody clued up on Web design and hosting.
I basically want to know where seems to be the best deal for Server space. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The best deal I cam across was this by Blacknight in Ireland:
Personal Shared Hosting - Minimus windows and linux hosting with php5, asp,mysql - Blog Hosting
10gb disk space.
200gb monthly transfer allowance
And support for up to 30 individual domains.
This comes to €50 quid for the year.

It seems pretty reasonable to me but is 200gb monthly limit really enough for say 15-20 small business sites/blogs etc? Im just asking because i am currently studying Web Design and looking for the best value packages out there.

*And before somebody makes a lame joke, im not running off to set up a forum and become a mod. This is purely for to get me started out and find out what I can. Just said id ask here because im still a regular visitor.
All help and tips welcomed.

Best deal doesn't equal cheapest. Since i have been a staff member the site has changed its provider a few times due to downtime and (lack of) customer service.

Best deal doesn't equal cheapest. Since i have been a staff member the site has changed its provider a few times due to downtime and (lack of) customer service.

Cheers for the heads up. They seem to be pretty reliable for not crashing. They have a few of the government institutions in their client base so surely couldnt be that bad. And they have the option of a month to month contract too which would give an oppertunity to test it out without major commitment. Main problem is would 200gb monthly limit be enough to run a good number of small sites.(mostly local business, sport clubs and the like). Really dont want to get stung for extra penalties for exceeding limits.

Anybody you could reccomend that offered a good package Jake?

I don't know much more than I've already said. Best to ask Sean for details mate.

Cheers Jake, will drop him a mail. Thanks :)

I don't pay anything for mine as a friend owns it, but I never used to pay more than £15 a month - though none of my sites attracted anywhere near the traffic FM-Base would, so it varies

FM-Base is currently hosted with 1&1. Few minor problems with customer service in the past but the hosting has been fine.

They have some fairly cheap hosting prices which might be worth looking at. They don't charge for bandwidth, which is always a good thing.

Back