Weird why 4-3-3 doesn't work

Reaction score
It's so weird why 4-3-3 (3 strikers) doesn't work well in FM13. Even tweaking others from FM12 doesn't work. Does someone have some tips? Small playing? Short passing?

Help would be appreciated.

Probably depends on how strong the full backs and 3 MFs are and what type of strikers you have... Iv never played 3 strikers but if I was to do it I imagine you'd want 2 highly technical strikers playing off the central striker...

If I was going to set it up Id probably go DLF/AF/DLF and set both DLF to move into channels and the AF to stay in the middle... or AF/DLF/AF but the DLF would probably need to either be very good on the ball and creative or in the mould of a Dzeko/Benteke...

I score shed loads with 3 strikers my problems I can't stop leaking goals!!
Had a few 3-3s, a 5-5, lost 7-3, lost 6-4, I'm playing a quick direct style, 3strikers with an Amc beind them, 2 cms and a flat back 4.
It's very overloading in style so that's probably why I'm conceding so many.

3 Strikers leaves you lacking either in midfield or in defense which is why it can usually lead to you conceding more goals than other formations, using wingers provides a little more defensively so tends to be a better suited 433.

I can reduce goals conceded by making the outside strikers man Mark and come back with the oposing full backs, but then obviously they are no longer a goal threat, gonna persevere with this one tho as the forwards match ratings are ridiculously good!

I feel if you play a narrow formation i.e. one player on each flank whether it be 2 FBs, 2 WBs or 2 WMFs that player has to be excellent in all phases of play... IMO you cant play narrow unless these guys who are in and around leading player standard...
I would say the problem is the two CMs arnt protecting the back four and possibly your FBs being too weak against certain especially if the opposition are strong down the wingers...

Yeah you hit the nail on the head the 2 cms are my problem, well in defence at least,in attack they are key because the draw the opposistion out of defence, if they can get the ball foward from the centre of the field I have 4 attacking players, the Amc and the line of 3 strikers, if the ball is played in there then I'm almost always gonna have a shot at goal...but if I don't and lose possession I get punished.
I'm also playing a very pressing game, high up the field it works wonders my cbs press tackle hard and pass directly to the 3strikers or Amc causing alot of panick in the oppositions defence but when I'm defending my goal they press to much run out position and leave huge gaps for through balls.

Oh and by the way I'm playing dlf/af/dlf :-) seems to work well!

Seems a hard challenge to make an anything perfect tactic.
Good luck pal!

I score shed loads with 3 strikers my problems I can't stop leaking goals!!
Had a few 3-3s, a 5-5, lost 7-3, lost 6-4, I'm playing a quick direct style, 3strikers with an Amc beind them, 2 cms and a flat back 4.
It's very overloading in style so that's probably why I'm conceding so many.

You are basically set up to outscore the opp, you're probably never going to be hugely defensively sound. AI is too dynamic ( it also uses the TC and shouts, though not as well as us).

With Hannover I played a 4-1cm-2wingers-3strikers and it was working well, average score being about 3-1.5 to me. However you need 2 strong/tackling/marking/heading strikers and a third whose a poacher.

Its something Iv never tried Iv played narrow forms of 4231, 4321, 41212, 4312 and usually when I played narrow teams tried to get at me down the flanks but when you see my formations I suppose its no wonder.. Theres often far too many bodies to play through the middle of those formations...
It seems you're playing too much like Blackpool they had great attacking success but one of the things that makes your tactic successful is also the weak point... As you've noticed high closing down can cause you to lose shape Iv found theres match engine issues with this Iv a tiered system I have my ATT & MF set to high closing then DF is on own half but my backline does retarded things which shouldnt happen the way iv set it up but it happens I suppose...
Its pretty annoying IRL if your team is 100% familiar with closing down and they have good teamwork/positioning then you shouldnt lose shape but it still happens in game... Theres not too much I can tell you to do Id say you've tried the obvious things like changing closing down, switching to zonal, making the two CMs less attacking, etc... I probably would have ditched the formation by now this is my FM flaw... Im kind of a system manager I play a certain way and rarely change how I play the only change is formation il usually give something 7/8 games tweaking it here and there... If Im not happy with it il switch to something else...
There are some formations I dont bother with especially when it comes to narrow formations 41212 is one of my preferred formations because it turns into a 343 when I attack and thats pretty much why Iv never really had any motivations to use a 3 man strike force Iv never really had a situation where I needed to fit in 3 strikers either as I often play with 1...

Back