Wenger backs Carroll for England

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 743

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes Newcastle striker Andy Carroll has the ability to play for England.

More...

The only person who doesn't is Capello, but then again he is a massive moron..

yeah, a lot of commentators are suggesting that he would fit in perfectly at United, he is a great athlete, very quick for his size, good power, great aerial ability, great touch and good player, he would do well with Rooney or Defoe upfront in England! have Rooney drop a tad deeper to get the ball would suit his game better and have your target man Carrol upfront (who is just as good with ball at his feet)

I do feel that he deserves a call up over Heskey and Nolan!

he will be picked within 3 months though, mark my words!

Unless Carroll's in jail, he should play for England. Or if he is, he should play for Australia.

Carroll will get called up soon, he's in form, he deserves it based on that.

Talented player but has been getting alot of bad press at the moment which wont sit well with Capello

A player should get picked on form then reputation.... Capello ballsed up when he dropped Bent from the world cup....

Andy Carroll is on pretty good form for Newcastle.. so should easily be considered for the next squad, ahead of Heskey. Capello needs to grow so balls and drop the **** likes of Lampard + Gerrard combo (drop either) Drop Ferdinand, get rid of Terry... start bringing the younger players who actually want to win. I.E Carroll, Johnson etc

Of corse he deserves a call-up, in recent months along with Kevin Davies he has been the outstanding English centre forward. I don't agree with dropping Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Rio though. Lampard shouldn't start for England but what a great option to have on the bench.

If form is anything to go by, he deserves call up. But i would like to wait for the season to see how he copes up for whole season.

I think he could play for england soon but id give him a full prem season first, but capello should tell him hes halfway there but he should keep him discipline on and off the pitch
But there really is a huge shortage of english strikers in the prem

Barton is also backing him.

"I am a bit biased, but on form, Andy is as good as anybody in the country," said the 28-year-old midfielder, who won one cap under Steve McClaren in February 2007. "I am not telling Capello how to do his job, but England were not at their best in the last game, and he said he is going to pick players on form so he has got to freshen it up."

"For me, it is a no-brainer really because he has got everything to be the archetypal English centre-forward."

"What do England want to do?" he added. "Do we want to win football matches or do they want to attract sponsors and earn a lot of money?"

"Off the field, it gives them every opportunity not to pick him. But if you want to win football matches then sometimes every other national team picks players who don't always toe the line because they are the best in their position - the frustrating thing for me is we pick the good guys, the guys who won't cause any problems. Hopefully England will stop worrying about what the sponsors are going to say and that 'goody two shoes' is the right image for Team England. They need to start picking players to win football matches."

"Hopefully people will judge Andy purely on his footballing ability. If he's talking about picking players then he's got to try him - he can't be any worse that what's gone before. Kevin Davies is a great player but is he really the future? He is 33 and is he going to play at the next World Cup or European Championships? It is time to bring in the young kids."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6496135,00.html

I think he needs a bit more time, but the people around him seem to think he's ready, and we do need to get the younger players involved in the team, instead of relying completely on the current squad of players mostly in their late twenties and early thirties.

Hope he gets a chance. From what ive seen hes good enough already and his determination and work rate adds to that. Plus hes young and will get better and better.

Just a note to everyone saying Heskey shouldn't be called up: He's retired from international football, so it wouldn't happen either way.

I'd be happy to see Carroll given his chance now.

I think Davies will be called up regardless of Carroll's form. However there is no doubt in my mind he will be a star for England

The only player id drop for Carrol would have to be Crouch, you have the obvious Rooney, then id day Defoe, Bent and now Carrol.... (Usually they pick 4 forwards)

But then again Crouchy plays well for England, so it would be interesting who would be dropped to make way for him.

I just hope getting an England call-up doesn't ruin his career.

But Roeder says he souldn't get a call up. Who is right??

Back