• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 783

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Arsene Wenger hails goalkeeper Jens Lehman after a shock 200th Arsenal start from the veteran helps them to a win that keeps their title hopes alive.

More...

Even though he almost got sent off and maybe that would of cost Arsenal the game as RVP would of gone in goal ?

Even though he almost got sent off and maybe that would of cost Arsenal the game as RVP would of gone in goal ?

Yes. If you watch the interview, he says Jens has worked very hard on his fitness etc. over the past 3 weeks and to come into an important game with about 5 minutes notice and play reasonably well considering he didn't have a huge amount to do - made one crucial save before Cesc cleared off the line at end of first half, and another when Clichy gave it away in the second half as well as the Blackpool goal* but generally not involved as most shots were off-target.

Well done, Jens. Would have been hilarious if RvP went in goal.. apparently he isn't that bad! :|

credit too him for coming back after a year out of the game but he really wasn't that impressive today, made a few saves but apart from that hes kicking looked suspect, decision making was questionable at times and was lucky to stay on the pitch. I think Arsenal fans should hope and pray Alumnia is fit enough to face Liverpool for obvious reasons.

credit too him for coming back after a year out of the game but he really wasn't that impressive today, made a few saves but apart from that hes kicking looked suspect, decision making was questionable at times and was lucky to stay on the pitch. I think Arsenal fans should hope and pray Alumnia is fit enough to face Liverpool for obvious reasons.

I'm really not. He's been out for a year - of course decision-making will be a bit off but he did better than Almunia would have done at times.. Made two crucial saves but was otherwise largely untested - not sure where you've got suspect kicking from, but I wasn't paying much attention to his kicking.

Great win today from the lads

we were lucky at times to still be ahead though

roll on Next Sunday !

he's better at 41 than almunia and co will ever be, respect to wenger. He needs to buy a GK urgently in the summer. I hear Shay Given is going cheap with his dodgy shoulder.

I'm really not. He's been out for a year - of course decision-making will be a bit off but he did better than Almunia would have done at times.. Made two crucial saves but was otherwise largely untested - not sure where you've got suspect kicking from, but I wasn't paying much attention to his kicking.

i'm not doubting he didn't do well, like you said he didn't have a great deal to do all game but I thought what he did have too do, apart from the save in the first half, he didn't do all too convinceing.

I would rather have Lehmann in goal over Almunia every day of the week

i'm sure you all would, Almunia is a far worse keeper than Lehman BUT in my opinion, Lehman would struggle against teams like Liverpool, United and Tottenham with the attacking threat they boast.

i'm not doubting he didn't do well, like you said he didn't have a great deal to do all game but I thought what he did have too do, apart from the save in the first half, he didn't do all too convinceing.

He made an excellent save in the 2nd half when Clichy gave it away on the edge of his box.

He made an excellent save in the 2nd half when Clichy gave it away on the edge of his box.

before or after he should have been sent off for a poor decision/tackle?

making an excellent save doesn't really prove anything though, he is still a very average goalkeeper along with an average defence and when you come up against teams with a mighty good attack, I think your regret it in my opinion.

before or after he should have been sent off for a poor decision/tackle?

making an excellent save doesn't really prove anything though, he is still a very average goalkeeper along with an average defence and when you come up against teams with a mighty good attack, I think your regret it in my opinion.

An average defence that without our best defender, has conceded less goals than Utd. Just saying...

After. What else was he meant to do? If he stays on his line, it's 1-0 providing whoever it was doesn't fluff the chance - he had to come out and try to win the ball, which he didn't and it made no difference. Almunia is shocking against any side to be honest. He's played well once vs Barcelona, but Jens is a better 'keeper at the moment.

An average defence that without our best defender, has conceded less goals than Utd. Just saying...

After. What else was he meant to do? If he stays on his line, it's 1-0 providing whoever it was doesn't fluff the chance - he had to come out and try to win the ball, which he didn't and it made no difference. Almunia is shocking against any side to be honest. He's played well once vs Barcelona, but Jens is a better 'keeper at the moment.

yeah you have conceded less goals but it's still an average defence.

the fact it, he decided to come out, completely missed the player and risked giving away a penalty and being sent off, that then gives Blackpool the chance to make it 2-1, Arsenal down to 10 men and RvP who would have gone in goal wouldn't score the third goal. of course this is all ifs and buts because Blackpool scored and like someone pointed out to me, as soon as the ball goes in, the advantage no longers counts as such.

I still retain though, in my opinion he is a poor keeper. He wasn't the best the last time he played for Arsenal, again just my opinion but i'd fancy my teams chances with Lehman in goal a lot.

I reckon Lehman is past it, he made 2 or 3 poor decisions which nearly cost Arsenal goals especially the penalty/red card one. He looked slow when rushing out of goal which could be costly vs the likes of United, Spurs and Liverpoo, although he did make one or two decent saves, i only think Arsenal signed him for some experience to pass onto Schezney .

Today's #Blackpool goal is the first goal Lehmann has conceded in an #Arsenal shirt since 19 April 2008. Almost 3 years of clean sheets! ;)

Apparently Szczesny should be playing that game. Barring a setback in his return of course.

Back