• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Arsene Wenger says he is unfazed by the current pressure on him, and that wants to manage Arsenal long into the future.

More...

As long as Wenger is managing, Arsenal are destined not to win Cup ;)

He has had his time though, this guy is so stubborn! If he stays with you lot for the next 14 years, I will be WELL HAPPY with that! Just look at his body language over the last 12 months, he is no longer an inspirational leader and his nervous energy transmits onto the pitch, plus makes GREAT tv!

No doubt he transformed the face of your club (stadium and style of play, image etc. etc.) and made you a trophy winning side up to 8 seasons ago, but his time has come.

Bring on 2nd October, COYS!
;)

It's weird. When Wenger does eventually leave, well it'll be taking away a part of the furniture you've had for years. Premiership wouldn't be the same without him. I know I'd miss him. Simply because I admire the work he's done for the club and respect him.

Under the current conditions and looking at the fact that a lot of the board is over 70 plus I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't last another 4-5 years. Was just reading an article that said that Wenger has lost some of the freedom he enjoyed when Kroenke wasn't majority shareholder and David Dein was still around. Was very evident this summer particularly with the Nasri saga. Wenger was obviously very keen to keep Nasri but Kroenke/Gazidis decided otherwise. On top of that, this current batch (as much as I hate to say this being a die-hard Arsenal fan) don't really look good enough to challenge for silverware which might force Wenger out because of the potential pressure from the fans. In summary, I would say 14 years might be a long time and unless things change I doubt he'll be around for so long.

I have to say, I do slightly agree with Spursfran.

I do believe Wenger is an amazing manager and has completely changed Arsenal around. He has helped them become what they are today and I believe he is their most successful manager ever. However, it's been 7 years without a trophy and he doesn't seem ready to leave his ways and transform. When he leaves Arsenal it will be a sad day for all Arsenal fans without a doubt, but I think that he must either change his ways around to transform with the times - or maybe it's time for him to call it a day and for Arsenal to bring in some fresh faces behind the scenes.

I think one of the differences between Ferguson and Wenger is that SAF has changed with the times through building all of his teams while Wenger has tried to make his teams similar in style/type of player.

If I'm honest, I don't think Wenger will be the manager at Arsenal come the start of next season. Whether it be the right decision or not.

If I'm honest, I don't think Wenger will be the manager at Arsenal come the start of next season. Whether it be the right decision or not.

He will be there next season. If he isn't, it will be a travesty.

He'll come good. If nothing else, wait until we get to FFP and Arsenal are one of the clubs with the most spending power in the world.

You can't keep judging managers on their successful past. It was the same thing with benitez (albeit a shorter period of time). It was always "you can't sack him, he won the champion's league and got us our highest points total in one season". Yet he had slowly made **** signings and bad man management that meant he had to go. (And look at the difference now - sunday aside)

Wenger has done amazing for arsenal but you have to admit he's had his time. His policy (which I personally like) has left you with a 6 year trophy drought, and after the current summer it's clear you're becoming a feeder club, selling your best players.

The biggest tell to me that wenger has lost it isn't the players he's bought, but the things he says. Things like "we have world class players" when you clearly haven't anymore. He's either being stubborn and refusing to admit his squad is pretty ****, or genuinely thinks it's capable of winning the league. Now if it's the latter (and I think it is), then he has to go, as you'll never win the league with this current team.

He will be there next season. If he isn't, it will be a travesty.

He'll come good. If nothing else, wait until we get to FFP and Arsenal are one of the clubs with the most spending power in the world.

That dosen't mean clubs will have to sell to them and there is no proof they will spend because they arnt now. Wenger has been a fantastic manager but i cant help but think he was inherrited with a sensational core of a squad and now that is gone he is struggling. I agree he did sign some fantastic players himself i.e Pires, Henry, Vieira, Ljungberg and RVP to name a few but every manager who has had the time Wenger has had would have signed some great players.

That dosen't mean clubs will have to sell to them

Eh? Clubs don't HAVE to sell to anyone. I don't see your point.

and there is no proof they will spend because they arnt now.

The £51 million they spent on players this year alone doesn't count, obviously.

Wenger has been a fantastic manager but i cant help but think he was inherrited with a sensational core of a squad and now that is gone he is struggling.

Before Wenger, Arsenal were drifting around in the upper table, not really challenging for anything. When Wenger came, he inherited a squad with a wonderful defence and some excellent strikers in Anelka, Bergkamp and Wright, but a relatively poor midfield. Not only did Wenger bring in Vieira (for, lest we forget, less than £4 million) but he also changed Arsenal from top to bottom, taking them to third place. Then in his first full season, he won the league.

To say that he struggled when he lost the core of his inherited squad is stupid. If we take Arsenal's finest season, 2003-04, how many of the original squad were left? Bergkamp, Parlour and Keown were the only ones that remained, if I remember correctly. Of those three, Parlour and Keown were by no means key players, and Bergkamp owed the resurrection of his career to Wenger. So not only was Wenger unaffected by the loss of his inherited team, he built an even better one.

I agree he did sign some fantastic players himself i.e Pires, Henry, Vieira, Ljungberg and RVP to name a few but every manager who has had the time Wenger has had would have signed some great players.

Well that's a matter of opinion, but you do know why Wenger stopped making so many big money signings, right? With the building of the Emirates Stadium, Arsenal were FORCED to stop spending so much because of the debts they incurred. Wenger was forced to build through youth, and to remain competitive over that amount of time and spending so little is nothing short of a miracle. That's just a short version, there's a far better one done by far better writers than me over here.

There is no other manager who could have kept Arsenal that competitive whilst also spending that little amount of money bar possibly Ferguson, who as we all know is one of the greatest managers of all time.

I know people are trying to give valid reasons why he shouldn't stay and how it couldn't work.. But in 14 years time he will be 75! Surely he could not of been serious when he was saying that he was planning to still be in charge at 75? That's just insane.

Eh? Clubs don't HAVE to sell to anyone. I don't see your point. You were saying they will be able to spend once FFP comes into play but thats dosen't mean they will get the best players.

The £51 million they spent on players this year alone doesn't count, obviously. But the difference in quality with the players they lost is massive, its not good enough simple as that. Not once of the players he signed are big name players.

Before Wenger, Arsenal were drifting around in the upper table, not really challenging for anything. When Wenger came, he inherited a squad with a wonderful defence and some excellent strikers in Anelka, Bergkamp and Wright, but a relatively poor midfield. Not only did Wenger bring in Vieira (for, lest we forget, less than £4 million) but he also changed Arsenal from top to bottom, taking them to third place. Then in his first full season, he won the league. Yes he has done some fantastic things for Arsenal FC itself but this is all in the past, Liverpool fans get slated when they bring up the past so why shouldnt Wenger?

To say that he struggled when he lost the core of his inherited squad is stupid. If we take Arsenal's finest season, 2003-04, how many of the original squad were left? Bergkamp, Parlour and Keown were the only ones that remained, if I remember correctly. Of those three, Parlour and Keown were by no means key players, and Bergkamp owed the resurrection of his career to Wenger. So not only was Wenger unaffected by the loss of his inherited team, he built an even better one.
But all 3 of them are leaders and know what it takes to win, he also had Campbell (another great signing) who was a leader. They lack natural leaders at the moment.

Well that's a matter of opinion, but you do know why Wenger stopped making so many big money signings, right? With the building of the Emirates Stadium, Arsenal were FORCED to stop spending so much because of the debts they incurred. Wenger was forced to build through youth, and to remain competitive over that amount of time and spending so little is nothing short of a miracle. That's just a short version, there's a far better one done by far better writers than me over here. Maybe in the past that might have stopped them but we hear about all this money they have to spend but none if it gets spent on top top players. Wengers policy is to sign a kid and turn him world class but its just not happening for him at the moment and he needs to change his policy.

There is no other manager who could have kept Arsenal that competitive whilst also spending that little amount of money bar possibly Ferguson, who as we all know is one of the greatest managers of all time
. Maybe not but we dont actually know because it never happened, Wenger has been a sensational accountant for Arsenal FC without a doubt and a manager secondly. I can see why the owners dont want to sack him, would you want to sack a man who is making you shed loads of money.

I think people are either for or against Wenger and the worrying thing is even a portion of Arsenal supporters want to see the back of him. I personly would love him to stay because at this moment in time Arsenal are a threat in a one vs one game situation but over the corse of the season you know you dont have to worry about them as much as you used too. Lets not forget in 2004 they were the best team in the country but 7 years on they are quite abit behind Utd, Chelsea and City and only joint 4th best with Spurs and Pool. Something has gone drasticly wrong whatever way you look at it.

Last edited:
You were saying they will be able to spend once FFP comes into play but thats dosen't mean they will get the best players.

...well no ****, but hasn't the recent history of City and Chelsea taught us anything? Having more money doesn't necessarily = being able to get top players, but it **** well helps.

But the difference in quality with the players they lost is massive, its not good enough simple as that. Not once of the players he signed are big name players.

But you didn't mention that, and thus I'm not arguing against it. What you said is they 'arnt [sic] now'. Which they are. In the context of what I quoted from you the relative quality of the players is irrelevant.

Yes he has done some fantastic things for Arsenal FC itself but this is all in the past, Liverpool fans get slated when they bring up the past so why shouldnt Wenger?

Because Liverpool fans weren't under the management of somebody who brought them those glory days until recently. Now they can be justified in their bringing up of the past as Dalglish is someone who brought them it.
But all 3 of them are leaders and know what it takes to win, he also had Campbell (another great signing) who was a leader. They lack natural leaders at the moment.

aaaaaaand we're right back into cliche. Point is though, all three of them owe their success at Arsenal to Wenger. If he wasn't there, they wouldn't have the honours they have now. My original point is still indisputable though: Wenger didn't inherit a team so masterfully good it could have destroyed opposition without him. He took a good team and made it into one of the best the Prem has ever seen.

Also, it's hard to be a leader when you're not on the pitch, like Keown and Parlour.

Maybe in the past that might have stopped them but we hear about all this money they have to spend but none if it gets spent on top top players. Wengers policy is to sign a kid and turn him world class but its just not happening for him at the moment and he needs to change his policy.

We hear about this money from where? The gutter press, that's where. Wenger is biding his time.

And I'll be damned before you're a better person to talk about managerial policies than Arsene Wenger.
Maybe not but we dont actually know because it never happened, Wenger has been a sensational accountant for Arsenal FC without a doubt and a manager secondly. I can see why the owners dont want to sack him, would you want to sack a man who is making you shed loads of money.

Sigh, calling Wenger an accountant is ridiculous. I don't think you've even read what I said. He was forced into employing these money-managing schemes by forces outside of his control (in this case, the Emirates debt). He's one of the best managers in Prem history; the fact that he can keep a club consistently challenging yet also financially stable is just another weapon in his (ahem) Arsenal.

Personally, I think things would only get worse if Arsenal had a change of management. These are Wenger's players and he knows how to get the best out of them. When a manager leaves after a long stint at a club, it's usually disastrous afterwards, look what happened with Liverpool when Benitez was sacked. Wenger has instilled and philosophy into the club and it is always hard for another manager to come in and change that. He's built a great youth system and scouting network and Arsenal could lose some of that if they changed managers. I think he needs to seriously look at his transfer activity, if Arsenal continue to decline, they will not be able to attract world class players so Arsenal need to spend in January on players for the present, not the future. You may be able to take Wenger out of the club but you can't take out the Wengerism that is instilled throughout the club!

If they sacked him now, they'd probably go for Jesus from Benfica, or someone. Which would just be stupid.

Didn't he already set a retirement date?

watch that space. ;)

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

He has had his time though, this guy is so stubborn! If he stays with you lot for the next 14 years, I will be WELL HAPPY with that! Just look at his body language over the last 12 months, he is no longer an inspirational leader and his nervous energy transmits onto the pitch, plus makes GREAT tv!

No doubt he transformed the face of your club (stadium and style of play, image etc. etc.) and made you a trophy winning side up to 8 seasons ago, but his time has come.

Bring on 2nd October, COYS!
;)

Typical Rival Voices. [what idiocrasy rivals imposse. lol very funny ideas, and unlogical stuff].

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

As long as Wenger is managing, Arsenal are destined not to win Cup ;)

uncanny nonsense.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

If they sacked him now, they'd probably go for Jesus from Benfica, or someone. Which would just be stupid.

Jesus the Saviour u mean ;)

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Arsene got a bachelors degree in Business i think, (or masters degree) before doing management at AS Monaco. he's got the financial control stable, just wait for the FFP, and boom were the winners :P

Back