Thestaggy

Reaction score
Right, I've just taken charge at AFC Telford United of the Blue Square North. It is a young club, formed in the 2000's, but they have a support base that comapres with the dregs of League Two - home crowds can reach 2,100 fans - and a squad that the media believes should win promotion. Plus I might add that I have picked up a few handy FA's and brought in quality loanees - Mathias Poghba of Wrexham is a good example - but my word they will turn me grey!

One word to describe them; inconsistent.

League
Played - 9
Won - 5
Lost - 4
Drawn - 0

My league form reads WLWLWLWWL, and even more confusing, I'll thrash a team 6-1 away only to find myself 0-3 at home in the very next game. And alarmingly, I've only played 1 team ahead of me in the league.

Why can't I get what is a very strong side to play consistently?

Hey buddy, I'm playing AFC Telford in FM09 and initially I had a similar problem, one game I was close to snatching a draw with hull after being 2-0 down only to lose 3-2 and another time I was supposed to win a game with a lot of shots on target only to lose 1-0 by a freekick, although i have won games with scores like 7-1 and etc. Now I'm on a 13 match winning streak and that came after a period of inconsistency.

What I realized was that even if I have a superb tactic (which serves me well with both Napoli and Manchester United) and amazing players the problem was chemistry.

I don't know how many players you brought in, but I pretty much overhauled the entire team with free transfers and you need to give them a few games to get into their stride, allowing a couple of players to play in 5 - 7 games straight and the rest rotating in and out is important. This is especially important for your defenders and goalkeepers. I play a hybrid 442/424 and i played the gk, cb's and wb's together for at least 5 games and that allowed me to sort out my defense so that my attack can build up on that.

Also make use of player interactions, make sure to tell them when they're performing well and straighten them out if they don't, it makes them respect you and keep their head down into the game, if they don't list each other as favored personnel, but if they list you as a favored personnel then they will still gel together and they will fight hard for you because they have a common goal to impress you.

If chemistry is not your problem, check your tactics, make sure it allows for a flexible cohesive performance, taking note of mentality, passing and forward runs. As a rule of thumb, make sure that anywhere on the pitch you will have any 3 players playing in a triangle, your defensive line and whether you play counterattack or offside is important as well. Try to place players in the correct position, and by this I mean their abilities and mentality. Defensive players need to have higher positioning and concentration and attacking players need to have better off the ball and composure, there are much more stats but we'll save that for later when you need them.

I hope that answers your question, if you want more help, or if you want to use my tactics, I can share it with you and what i say to my team during and after games as well as how I select players to fit into the tactic.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

i just realized that you must be playing fm11, well in that case try out the chemistry and tweaking your tactics, i don't think my tactics will work well for you :)

Last edited: