What am I missing?

Bullardinho

Reaction score
Hi Guys, So I have been playing FM/CM since I can remember, but there is still one thing that I, for whatever reason can't work out..

I always ensure that my training facilities are the best, I always ask the board for improvements and eventually always get to the point where they cant be improved.
I always bring in the best scouts, make sure there are great at searching for and working with youngsters.
I always make sure that I have the best under-18 coaches.
I always request that my youth setup catergory is improved to keep up with competition.

Despite all of this I still find my self having to recruit youngsters from other teams, I usually play in England and find there is nothing better than having your own English talent to nurture into the next big star and yet they never ever come from my youth academy.
What is it that I am missing, I always see Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool produce the best young talent and no matter what I seem to do I never get anyone above 3 stars on every single youth intake??

Does anyone else have this problem or can see what it is I am doing wrong?

Looking at stars instead of stats is proabably the first issue, Stars only reflect how good he is compared to your team. The youth recruitment number is a factor as well, it relates to how players are trained in your 'non-seen' 7-14 youth system.

Do you have a good Head of youth development with 15+ attributes for judging player ability and potential. Bruno Conti for example??

Last edited:
Looking at stars instead of stats is proabably the first issue, Stars only reflect how good he is compared to your team. The youth recruitment number is a factor as well, it relates to how players are trained in your 'non-seen' 7-14 youth system.

The stats are never very impressive either, the star rating was just the example I used. I very rarely get a player that has anything more than a 10 in any stat. The Youth recruitment number, is that not something that improves based on all of the above criteria?

Do you have a good Head of youth development with 15+ attributes for judging player ability and potential. Bruno Conti for example??

I usually go for Dave Parnaby or Rodolfo Borrell whenever possible. They both have 19/20 ratings from memory.

I know it makes no difference but what team are you playing as??

I know it makes no difference but what team are you playing as??

At the moment, Leeds. Im in the 4th season, top 4 Prem team with European footie each season, we have 'superb' youth facilities and I think its Phil Cannon as my Head of Youth Development. So far I have had no-one of note come in on the intakes. I even managed to sign a brilliant young English goalie from Dag&Red but we produce nothing!

It will improve but not to Man United and Chelsea levels in 4 years, how long have you been in the premier compared to them? You're comparing a 20 year top tier youth system to yours which is in its infancy. There other factors that need to raise over the shiny building and facilties. Youth recruitment and youth traning levels will need longer time to increase.

It will improve but not to Man United and Chelsea levels in 4 years, how long have you been in the premier compared to them? You're comparing a 20 year top tier youth system to yours which is in its infancy. There other factors that need to raise over the shiny building and facilties. Youth recruitment and youth traning levels will need longer time to increase.

I completely get that but again that was just an example, this seems to be a common occurrence in every save. Even still their longevity in the top tier shouldn't always be a factor, If I was a Leeds born youngster with a dream of playing for my boy hood club and the chance came knocking I would not chose my main rivals Man U or Chelsea over Leeds. Also lets not forget that in recent history Leeds have had a very successful youth infrastructure, the fact that in 4 seasons I haven't produced anyone even worthy of a professional contract suggests that something isn't right.

Players of the higher quality regens are created by the youth training number, yours will still be championship/.Div one bracket.

Boyhood fans sign for bigger clubs all the time, especially more so, in this day and age. Even Kane was at Arsenal. What you would do is irrelevant. Maybe they looked at your stats of 10 and dismissed you. Most can go up to 5-7 points in most areas, by 21/22 yrs if done right. thats 15/16 in stats.

You're thinking Leeds should be as good as the best youth systems in the country - Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool - these scout players from 7 years old accross most of Europe and the world. You just wont as Leeds within 4 years, in time yes. At this moment you're still just luck of the draw and thats a small chance.

Back